Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 05, 2024, 03:03:30 PM
715941 Posts in 53161 Topics by 7771 Members
Latest Member: VernMolone
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  You Know What Really Grinds My Gears? « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 162
Author Topic: You Know What Really Grinds My Gears?  (Read 647569 times)
Flick James
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #750 on: December 06, 2010, 04:40:36 PM »

It drives me nuts when people have to add unnecessary or redundant words in their communication in and obvious attempt to sound more important or official. What it actually does is make the sentence grammatically incorrect. It's like saying "I'm trying to sound important and educated, so I've added this redundant word and exposed my ignorance, hoping nobody will notice."

Case in point when I reached somebody's voicemail today:

"I am presently unable to answer my phone at this time."

"Presently" means the same thing as the phrase "at this time." Unnecessary and redundant to put both in the same sentence. I swear when I see and hear things like this I immediatly feel like the person is trying to bulls**t me, like saying "I'm ignorant of basic grammar, but I'm trying to make you think I'm very educated."

Here's another example I hear all the time:

Person A: "I'm going to the movies"
Idiotic Person B: "I'm also going to the movies as well."

Idiotic Person B might as well say "In addition to going to the movies, I'm also going to the movies" and really let us know what a jackass he is.

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #751 on: December 06, 2010, 04:43:59 PM »

We could have a whole thread on redundancies that people commonly use to sound impressive. "Rate of speed" is a personal favourite.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #752 on: December 06, 2010, 04:52:19 PM »

We could have a whole thread on redundancies that people commonly use to sound impressive. "Rate of speed" is a personal favourite.

Oh man, that's a good one. "Moving at a high rate of speed" is just mental masturbatory bulls**t for "moving fast."

This is fun. Like those new words politicians like to make up.

REFUDIATE! WTF!

Mr. DS
Master Of Cinematic Bowel Movements
B-Movie Kraken

Get this thread cleaned up or YOU'RE FIRED!!!

« Reply #753 on: December 07, 2010, 12:10:17 PM »

1.) Broadway, especially nowadays where every damn film has to be made into a musical.  They've used Legally Blonde, Elf and Dirty Rotten Scoundrels to name a few.  All of which have little to no music in them.  Speaking of the music, it is often horribly written and every year my only interest in it is how far awful the music continues to stretch.  Also, every year I'm amazed of what they tend to "build" a musical around.  Awful man...just awful...  PLUS, they p!ss on the tradition of the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade by subjecting the audience to their awfulness.  Message to Broadway fans...your entertainment interest is highly overratted.  

2.) People who have long answering messages.  I just want to leave my message and move on with life.  
« Last Edit: December 07, 2010, 12:13:55 PM by The DarkSider » Logged

DarkSider's Realm
http://darksidersrealm.blogspot.com/

"You think the honey badger cares?  It doesn't give a sh*t."  Randall
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #754 on: December 07, 2010, 12:33:34 PM »

2.) People who have long answering messages.  I just want to leave my message and move on with life. 

And on the other side, people who leave long messages. I don't need everything explained in full, rambling detail. Just tell me what it's about and I'll get the particulars when I call you back.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #755 on: December 07, 2010, 01:59:39 PM »

1.) Broadway, especially nowadays where every damn film has to be made into a musical.  They've used Legally Blonde, Elf and Dirty Rotten Scoundrels to name a few.  All of which have little to no music in them.  Speaking of the music, it is often horribly written and every year my only interest in it is how far awful the music continues to stretch.  Also, every year I'm amazed of what they tend to "build" a musical around.  Awful man...just awful...  PLUS, they p!ss on the tradition of the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade by subjecting the audience to their awfulness.  Message to Broadway fans...your entertainment interest is highly overratted.  

2.) People who have long answering messages.  I just want to leave my message and move on with life.  

I'm still waiting for them to make Kramer vs Kramer: The Musical.

Paquita

« Reply #756 on: December 08, 2010, 11:52:51 AM »

Whole Grain bread with chunky nuts and seeds and garbage in it.  It's getting harder to find a sandwich for lunch without this stuff in it.  It looks like bugs and turds and feels like I'm eating kitty litter.  If they really have to include that stuff, why can't they just grind it up so I don't notice it?
Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #757 on: December 08, 2010, 12:58:47 PM »

Whole Grain bread with chunky nuts and seeds and garbage in it.  It's getting harder to find a sandwich for lunch without this stuff in it.  It looks like bugs and turds and feels like I'm eating kitty litter.  If they really have to include that stuff, why can't they just grind it up so I don't notice it?

Hah! I'm with you on that one. It's not so much the fact that there are grains and seeds and nuts in it. That in and of itself doesn't bug me, it's a consistency issue. Bread is not supposed to feel like that.

retrorussell
In the town of Valentine Bluffs, there are many ways to die. Take your pick.

Hanniger! I'll be waiting in HELL for you!

« Reply #758 on: December 08, 2010, 02:48:39 PM »

I really hate when people say "Hel-LOOO!!!" or "Doyeee!!!" at you.  Jebus, that's rude!

"O the legend they say, on a Valentine's Day, is a curse that'll live on and on.."
diamondwaspvenom

« Reply #759 on: December 11, 2010, 03:44:09 PM »

I get annoyed with people who laugh at or insult you just because you still enjoy the Star Wars franchise. The mockeries are all the same: Star Wars fans have no life, still live with their parents even though they're forty years old, can never get laid because apparently nobody likes Star Wars anymore and every fan is a loser, etc.

I still kinda like the movies (the original trilogy only), but even though I'm not exactly a huge fan anymore, these insults still drive me crazy. If only lowlifes like Star Wars, how come most well respected critics around the world still praise the saga and even named it as being one of the best film franchises in history? How do you explain that, haters?
Mr. DS
Master Of Cinematic Bowel Movements
B-Movie Kraken

Get this thread cleaned up or YOU'RE FIRED!!!

« Reply #760 on: December 11, 2010, 06:14:21 PM »

I get annoyed with people who laugh at or insult you just because you still enjoy the Star Wars franchise. The mockeries are all the same: Star Wars fans have no life, still live with their parents even though they're forty years old, can never get laid because apparently nobody likes Star Wars anymore and every fan is a loser, etc.

I still kinda like the movies (the original trilogy only), but even though I'm not exactly a huge fan anymore, these insults still drive me crazy. If only lowlifes like Star Wars, how come most well respected critics around the world still praise the saga and even named it as being one of the best film franchises in history? How do you explain that, haters?
I think there are a lot of closeted Star Wars fans out there that refuse to admit it so they hate on the people who openly like it.  I kind of rank myself in the midrange Star Wars fandom.  In other words, I know when to draw the line in ultimate dorkyness but enjoy the franchise and it's history.  Well minus the horsesh!t. 

DarkSider's Realm
http://darksidersrealm.blogspot.com/

"You think the honey badger cares?  It doesn't give a sh*t."  Randall
The Gravekeeper
addicted to the macabre
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #761 on: December 11, 2010, 07:21:17 PM »

I think there are a lot of closeted Star Wars fans out there that refuse to admit it so they hate on the people who openly like it.  I kind of rank myself in the midrange Star Wars fandom.  In other words, I know when to draw the line in ultimate dorkyness but enjoy the franchise and it's history.  Well minus the horsesh!t. 

Ditto. I do prefer the originals because I think they told their stories better, but even the prequels had their rare moments (I do appreciate space battles that flow nicely). I enjoy what the movies did well, but I certainly won't try to justify what they did poorly (eg- Anakin/Padme. That pairing didn't say "they're in love" to me, but rather "Anakin is a creepy stalker type and Padme, while repulsed by him, is probably too scared to dump him, especially considering what he did to the sand people").
ImaginaryFoot
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #762 on: December 11, 2010, 07:48:10 PM »

Its very annoying when customers wait until After i finish counting their change out and hand it to them before they start digging through their pockets looking for .14 cents

Lima beans are the Devil
Sleepyskull

Well,well,well...

« Reply #763 on: December 11, 2010, 10:47:46 PM »

Its very annoying when customers wait until After i finish counting their change out and hand it to them before they start digging through their pockets looking for .14 cents
I absolutely hate that! I work at 7-11, so that happens to me all the time! People need to just deal with a few extra coins.

Humanity takes itself too seriously. It is the world`s original sin. - Oscar Wilde
El Misfit
[Insert witty here]
B-Movie Kraken

Hi there!

« Reply #764 on: December 11, 2010, 11:16:52 PM »

Oh man, that's a good one. "Moving at a high rate of speed" is just mental masturbatory bulls**t for "moving fast."

The only time this works is when the polozia is chasing a person, meaning going the speed limit+, that's it. other than that, it is just dumb.

yeah no.
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 162
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  You Know What Really Grinds My Gears? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.