Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 23, 2024, 06:36:37 AM
715455 Posts in 53138 Topics by 7762 Members
Latest Member: HoustonJac
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  You Know What Really Grinds My Gears? « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 [62] 63 64 ... 162
Author Topic: You Know What Really Grinds My Gears?  (Read 645054 times)
Doggett
Bustin' makes me feel good !
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I've seen things you people couldn't imagine...

« Reply #915 on: February 04, 2011, 11:19:45 AM »

Dubbing in films.

I HATE IT !  Hatred

I don't care what anyone says, there is no such thing as good dubbing and no reason for it unless you can't actually read.

I can't watch Suspiria all the way through as its dubbed. I find it far too distracting and so annoying.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.............

If God exists, why did he make me an atheist? Thats His first mistake.
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #916 on: February 04, 2011, 11:33:29 AM »

Dubbing in films.

I HATE IT !  Hatred

I don't care what anyone says, there is no such thing as good dubbing and no reason for it unless you can't actually read.

I can't watch Suspiria all the way through as its dubbed. I find it far too distracting and so annoying.

I personally have one situation in which dubbing is essential. I often have movies playing on my main shop PC while I work, with the sound through a Bluetooth headset. When I'm operating equipment away from my desk, I've got a second monitor pointed out toward the shop, but I'm mostly listening to the audio. If the dialogue isn't in English, I can't watch it.

In general, if you want a movie playing while you do something else, reading subtitles just doesn't work. I find kaiju and anime films among the best background, unless I don't have a dubbed copy.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
The Gravekeeper
addicted to the macabre
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #917 on: February 04, 2011, 08:33:44 PM »

I don't mind dubbing when the voices feel natural rather than like cartoon voices (unless it is a cartoon). I don't mind subtitles, either, as long as I'm not doing anything else while watching the movie (although they can get annoying if they flash by too fast or end up making me miss something). However, word-for-word subtitle translations sometimes don't work. FLCL is a good example of that; many of the jokes relied on word play, and since English and Japanese came from completely different linguistic traditions, a number of the original Japanese jokes just don't make any sense in English.
Umaril The Unfeathered

Pelinal na vasha, racuvar! Sa yando tyavoy nagaia!

« Reply #918 on: February 04, 2011, 09:09:38 PM »

Dubbing in films.

I HATE IT !  Hatred

Some of the dubbing is really funny though. In Frankenstein Conquers The World, there's a part in the beginning when the reporters are looking at the Japanese Frankenstein during a news conference.

One of them says- "He looks like a half-cast" and Dr. Bowen (Nick Adams) says "No, he's distinctly Caucasian," and it's obvious that Frankenstein is Japanese. It's a such a great line, lol

Another one is when Tadao Takashima's character, Dr. Kawaji, is in an old cave with a gorup of JDF soldiers as they hunt for Frankenstein. He turns to Nick Adams' character, Dr, Bowen, and says, "do you know what I would like to do, doctor? I would like to go in the cave." A man with a plan, rofl.

So while dubbing is a way of killing the original storyline (as some stuff does get lost in translation) it can be funny as hell sometimes.  Be that as is, I'm OK with subtitles as long as you can SEE them, and they don't go by too fast.

Tam-Riel na nou Sancremath.
Dawn's Beauty is our shining home.

An varlais, nou bala, an kynd, nou latta.
The stars are our power, the sky is our light.

Malatu na nou karan.
Truth is our armor.

Malatu na bala
Truth is power.

Heca, Pellani! Agabaiyane Ehlnadaya!
Be gone, outsiders! I do not fear your mortal gods!

Auri-El na nou ata, ye A, Umaril, an Aran!
Aure-El is our father, and I, Umaril, the king!
Mr. DS
Master Of Cinematic Bowel Movements
B-Movie Kraken

Get this thread cleaned up or YOU'RE FIRED!!!

« Reply #919 on: February 04, 2011, 09:14:40 PM »

The annoying God*mned multicolored pop ups on youtube lately saying "subscribe".  Makes me want to kick the uploading party in the nuts to be honest.

DarkSider's Realm
http://darksidersrealm.blogspot.com/

"You think the honey badger cares?  It doesn't give a sh*t."  Randall
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #920 on: February 05, 2011, 08:03:59 AM »

I hate the commercials on YouTube.  It's bad enough sitting through them in order to watch a TV show that cost millions to make, but for a YouTube video?  Egads.  Close browser window immediately.  I also love having to watch a commercial in order to see a movie trailer, which is a freakin' commercial itself   Lookingup

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
Cthulhu

« Reply #921 on: February 05, 2011, 08:46:31 AM »

I hate the commercials on YouTube.  It's bad enough sitting through them in order to watch a TV show that cost millions to make, but for a YouTube video?  Egads.  Close browser window immediately.  I also love having to watch a commercial in order to see a movie trailer, which is a freakin' commercial itself   Lookingup
Adblock plus.
It's the best thing ever! I didn't have to watch a single commercial since I have it on my firefox.
You can download it here:https://addons.mozilla.org/hu/firefox/addon/adblock-plus/
You can also find it for Chrome somewhere...
JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #922 on: February 05, 2011, 09:14:25 AM »

I actually very rarely watch films or TV shows anymore without subtitles, yes even for English, as honestly I find I sometimes don't hear or cannot make out everything that's being said and I don't want to miss something important...also it allows one to watch stuff at a lower volume so as to not disturb others at times.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2011, 09:21:13 AM by xJaseSFx » Logged

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
The Gravekeeper
addicted to the macabre
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #923 on: February 05, 2011, 12:37:24 PM »

I actually very rarely watch films or TV shows anymore without subtitles, yes even for English, as honestly I find I sometimes don't hear or cannot make out everything that's being said and I don't want to miss something important...also it allows one to watch stuff at a lower volume so as to not disturb others at times.

I always turn on the subtitles for video games. There've been many times where something important was being said during a fight, and because the audio for fights tend to be louder than everything else, you can miss out on stuff that's important to the plot or hints about where to go next/what you need to do next. Many games will not give you a second hint.
Mr. DS
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #924 on: February 06, 2011, 10:48:52 PM »

People who didn't watch a single game during the regular season or have no clue what football is about who insist on watching the Superbowl.  Oddly it bugs me now more as a non-sports fan as it did when I was a sports fan.  It's stupid, almost like tuning in for a season finale of a show you didn't watch. Hatred

Secondly the barrage of said morons above you are undoubtedly going to ask me tomorrow if I "watched the game". 

DarkSider's Realm

Olivia Bauer

« Reply #925 on: February 07, 2011, 08:55:34 AM »

People who didn't watch a single game during the regular season or have no clue what football is about who insist on watching the Superbowl.  Oddly it bugs me now more as a non-sports fan as it did when I was a sports fan.  It's stupid, almost like tuning in for a season finale of a show you didn't watch. Hatred

Secondly the barrage of said morons above you are undoubtedly going to ask me tomorrow if I "watched the game". 

*TROLL FACE*

I'M THAT GUY!!!

LOLOLOLOL!! I actually quit half way through the Super Bowl to. Not enough funny commercials. Yes ladies and gentlemen, when it comes to foot ball, I'm THAT ASS****!

Dubbing in films.

I HATE IT !  Hatred

I'm currently on a quest to find English dubbed anime that don't suck. It's not easy what so ever....

Almost every viral video makes you do that. It p**ses me off. Especially when I'm trying to watch multiple episodes of a web series and I have to see the same commercial again, and again and again and again and again and again and again and..................ZZZzzzzzzzz....

AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #926 on: February 07, 2011, 09:36:33 AM »

I can understand watching the Superbowl without watching the season. Depends on your reasons for doing so. I don't like football, but Superbowl parties look like a lot of fun. If I could stand watching a football game, I'd almost consider throwing a Superbowl party, just to enjoy that particular ritual. Mind you, American football is not as big a deal in Canada, so Superbowl parties aren't what they are in the States. I think Canadians tend to make more of the Grey Cup, assuming they aren't blind to all sports that aren't hockey.

The closest thing to a sport I ever watched with any consistency was professional wrestling, and I continued to watch Wrestlemania for several years after I lost interest in wrestling as a whole. That was mainly because one of the local bars opened on Sunday specifically for Wrestlemania, and it was a big party of beer and pub food with friends while we watched on the big screen.

Now, if somebody who ignores football all season starts talking like Mr. Uber Fan at Superbowl time, that's crap.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
ulthar

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« Reply #927 on: February 07, 2011, 10:49:35 AM »

I'm currently on a quest to find English dubbed anime that don't suck. It's not easy what so ever....

SPIRITED AWAY (2001) ?

GRAVE OF THE FIREFLIES (1988) ?

I found these two to be pretty powerful, even in the English dub versions.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
Mr. DS
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #928 on: February 07, 2011, 11:47:58 AM »

I'm sure I've posted this before but might as well reiterate.  I hate when I'm somewhere minding my business with a neutral expression on my face and someone says to me, "well you don't look too happy" or they ask me "whats wrong".  For example, yesterday I was at a store with my wife and was waiting for her.  Mind you I know a lot of men may look miserable waiting for their wife but I seriously wasn't.  Some woman that works there said to my wife, "well doesn't he look happy based on his expression".  

You know, I'm not sure if I constantly look miserable but more than not I'll wear my neutral face if you will.  Not smiling, not frowning, just neutral.  I do not feel a need to smile all the time and quite frankly people that do worry me.  
« Last Edit: February 07, 2011, 11:50:56 AM by The DarkSider » Logged

DarkSider's Realm

ulthar

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« Reply #929 on: February 07, 2011, 12:01:10 PM »

I'm sure I've posted this before but might as well reiterate.  I hate when I'm somewhere minding my business with a neutral expression on my face and someone says to me, "well you don't look too happy" or they ask me "whats wrong".  For example, yesterday I was at a store with my wife and was waiting for her.  Mind you I know a lot of men may look miserable waiting for their wife but I seriously wasn't.  Some woman that works there said to my wife, "well doesn't he look happy based on his expression".  

You know, I'm not sure if I constantly look miserable but more than not I'll wear my neutral face if you will.  Not smiling, not frowning, just neutral.  I do not feel a need to smile all the time and quite frankly people that do worry me.  

This does not really grind my gears, but we consistently miscommunicate in the shopping setting.  The other day, my wife and daughter were shopping for a function the planned to attend, and my son and I (after dropping them off, going to Lowe's and returning to the Mall) caught up with them near the tail end of their shopping.

I distinctly heard the phrase, "okay, let's go" from my wife.

Well, they found something else to look at/for and after about 10-15 minutes, I said something like, "let's go now."  I was not impatient or put any 'negative' emotion in my comment - I sincerely thought the children we making the delay and my wife was ready to go, so I was trying to help her round them up.

She got upset and thought I was being "typical guy does not like shopping," when it was not that at all.  No big argument or anything, but it COULD have been a blow-up.

By the way, my wife HATES shopping in general.  She only does it for special cases, like this instance.  Maybe that's why she is a bit sensitive about ME being impatient...she can see that side of it.   Smile

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 [62] 63 64 ... 162
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  You Know What Really Grinds My Gears? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.