Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 05, 2024, 03:35:40 PM
715941 Posts in 53161 Topics by 7771 Members
Latest Member: VernMolone
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  You Know What Really Grinds My Gears? « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 61 62 [63] 64 65 ... 162
Author Topic: You Know What Really Grinds My Gears?  (Read 647574 times)
Chainsawmidget
« Reply #930 on: February 07, 2011, 01:25:07 PM »

Dubbing in films.

I HATE IT !  Hatred

I don't care what anyone says, there is no such thing as good dubbing and no reason for it unless you can't actually read.

I can't watch Suspiria all the way through as its dubbed. I find it far too distracting and so annoying.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.............
I'm the opposite.  I HATE when people tell me I should watch something in the original language because it's soooo much better.  

You know what?  I don't speak that language.  I speak English.  I can't tell if people are delivering their lines right or stressing the wrong words or talking in the wrong tone of voice or what, because I don't understand a word they're saying.  

On top of that, when I sit down to watch a movie, I want to WATCH the movie.  I don't want to READ it.  

I'm currently on a quest to find English dubbed anime that don't suck. It's not easy what so ever....
The creator for Cowboy Bebop has actually said he likes the english version better than the original Japanese. 
« Last Edit: February 07, 2011, 01:27:25 PM by Chainsaw midget » Logged
Flick James
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #931 on: February 07, 2011, 01:31:02 PM »

Dubbing in films.

I HATE IT !  Hatred

I don't care what anyone says, there is no such thing as good dubbing and no reason for it unless you can't actually read.

I can't watch Suspiria all the way through as its dubbed. I find it far too distracting and so annoying.

I'm the opposite.  I HATE when people tell me I should watch something in the original language because it's soooo much better

You know what?  I don't speak that language.  I speak English.  I can't tell if people are delivering their lines right or stressing the wrong words or talking in the wrong tone of voice or what, because I don't understand a word they're saying. 

On top of that, when I sit down to watch a movie, I want to WATCH the movie.  I don't want to READ it. 

I'm probably somewhere in the middle. I appreciate dubbing from a bad movie perspective. On the other hand, I am fascinated with linguistics, and love to hear the sounds of other languages. I don't mind reading subtitles. So, for me, it all depends on the movie. I watched The Girl With the Dragon Tatoo and The Girl Who Played With Fire recently and am happy I saw it in the native Swedish rather than dubbed.

Then in another ballpark altogether are single words or phrases overdubbed for censorship purposes. I can't stand that. I realized I had to come up with something that grinds my gears in order to keep with the purpose of the thread.

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
Doggett
Bustin' makes me feel good !

I've seen things you people couldn't imagine...

« Reply #932 on: February 07, 2011, 01:52:32 PM »

I can't tell if people are delivering their lines right or stressing the wrong words or talking in the wrong tone of voice or what, because I don't understand a word they're saying. 

I can't speak a word of Spanish but I prefer the lead actress in [REC] to the English speaking actress in Quarantine as I thought she was the more convincing.

You can tell good acting even if you don't speak the language.

If God exists, why did he make me an atheist? Thats His first mistake.
Chainsawmidget
« Reply #933 on: February 07, 2011, 08:15:13 PM »

Maybe you can, but to me it's all gibberish.  Being said in a particular tone of voice doesn't make it any less gibberish.
El Misfit
[Insert witty here]
B-Movie Kraken

Hi there!

« Reply #934 on: February 07, 2011, 08:58:24 PM »

The TVR Sagaris isn't available in the US! Just look at it, it should be available here!

yeah no.
Couchtr26

« Reply #935 on: February 07, 2011, 09:13:50 PM »

The TVR Sagaris isn't available in the US! Just look at it, it should be available here!

Actually there are quite a few vehicles I would like you can't get here in the US.  I think there was one kind of like the Hummer for the civilian market but old Soviet design.  Dang it, I want a soviet military vehicle that makes people wonder who the hell drives something that is much bigger and beefier then it needs to be for any normal function.  Hell if I had the money and could find one for sale I would buy a Tupolev Tu-95 for flying where I wanted to go. 

Ah, the good old days.
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #936 on: February 08, 2011, 12:18:39 AM »

Dubbing in films.

I HATE IT !  Hatred

I'm the opposite.  I HATE when people tell me I should watch something in the original language because it's soooo much better.  

You know what?  I don't speak that language.  I speak English.  I can't tell if people are delivering their lines right or stressing the wrong words or talking in the wrong tone of voice or what, because I don't understand a word they're saying.  

On top of that, when I sit down to watch a movie, I want to WATCH the movie.  I don't want to READ it.  

I'm a subtitles guy myself (except for 1970s-1980s chopsocky, which absolutely must be dubbed badly with ultra-cheesy foley), but I do find those "subtitles snobs" kind of annoying.  Feel free to watch the film anyway you want. 

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Newt
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.

I want to be Ripley when I grow up.

« Reply #937 on: February 08, 2011, 03:43:02 AM »

I guess Opera is out, then.   TongueOut

"May I offer you a Peek Frean?" - Walter Bishop
"Thank you for appreciating my descent into deviant behavior, Mr. Reese." - Harold Finch
Couchtr26

« Reply #938 on: February 08, 2011, 12:49:33 PM »

I understand your point.  I tend to prefer subtitles as I try to learn languages and it helps.  However, dubbing has its advantages too.  Many times subtitles tend to be more literal.  I find that annoying as I would prefer more translation for meaning.  Dubbing while not literal tend to carry the feeling of the lines better in a way. 

Ah, the good old days.
The Gravekeeper
addicted to the macabre
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #939 on: February 08, 2011, 01:02:19 PM »

Ah, but some Operas offer something resembling subtitles! Of course, that means that you're either reading a pamphlet or watching a TV screen pretty much the entire time...
Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #940 on: February 08, 2011, 01:31:35 PM »

Ah, but some Operas offer something resembling subtitles! Of course, that means that you're either reading a pamphlet or watching a TV screen pretty much the entire time...

I happen to enjoy the opera, and at no time have I ever found myself glued to a TV screen or the program. I've had to look at them, sure, but I gain my perspective of the opera from the performance, and find that I can follow the emotive meaning from that pretty well with little assistance from the screen or the program. I think we have a case of personal preference and inclination here.

Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #941 on: February 08, 2011, 01:36:22 PM »

When people use the phrase "the 5-second rule." I know they're trying to be funny, but it's as annoying as "is it hot enough for you?"

Yeah, the 5-second rule. Is this really a rule? So, if my food drops into a pool of bio-medical waste and I retrieve it within 5 seconds I'll be okay?

Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #942 on: February 08, 2011, 01:42:11 PM »

I don't care for subtitles either.  Seeing an actor giving an emotional performance and then looking at some lifeless text at the bottom of the screen...it just doesn't work for me.  It seems like they replace a lot of dialogue with common phrases and simplify / summarize things too, which can be as comedic as bad dubbing.

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
Chainsawmidget
« Reply #943 on: February 08, 2011, 03:46:46 PM »

Yeah, the 5-second rule. Is this really a rule? So, if my food drops into a pool of bio-medical waste and I retrieve it within 5 seconds I'll be okay?

Yes. 

Try it some time.    TeddyR
Doggett
Bustin' makes me feel good !

I've seen things you people couldn't imagine...

« Reply #944 on: February 08, 2011, 04:11:47 PM »

Yes. 

Try it some time.    TeddyR

Over here its the three second rule.

Because we're too much of a wuss to go the full five seconds.   Bluesad

If God exists, why did he make me an atheist? Thats His first mistake.
Pages: 1 ... 61 62 [63] 64 65 ... 162
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  You Know What Really Grinds My Gears? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.