Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 23, 2024, 06:52:44 AM
715456 Posts in 53138 Topics by 7762 Members
Latest Member: HoustonJac
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  You Know What Really Grinds My Gears? « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 78 79 [80] 81 82 ... 162
Author Topic: You Know What Really Grinds My Gears?  (Read 645058 times)
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1185 on: April 22, 2011, 06:47:28 PM »

To offer a slightly different perspective, when we see a story about a celebrity freaking out on a papparazzo (papparazzi is plural), that represents a tiny fraction of the interactions between that celebrity and the press. They understand that media attention is part of the job, and they generally welcome publicity, because each celebrity is a brand, and brand awareness means more money.

On the other hand, there are journalists who have a serious problem with boundaries, even among their peers. There are some who are under the gun to produce something, and when a great opportunity presents itself, they act without thinking. There are some who are just stupid or obnoxious, same as in any other profession. I don't think anybody gets punched just for sticking a camera in somebody's face. There's more to the story that we aren't hearing. The typical account we get of an altercation between a celebrity and a photographer is either going to come through the same photographer, the publication they work for, or some other media outlet with just as much of an interest in protecting their licence to pry. Journalists always want more access, and they'll stick up for each other to protect themselves. Plus, they all want to put the most sensational spin they can on the story, and someone getting justifiably angry isn't as exciting as a huge overreaction. So, we don't get a detailed account of the circumstances, or any background or context that might actually help us to understand what happened.

I've seen plenty of not-so-famous people (city officials and the like) who have developed a serious beef with the press, and it has nearly always been because of consistently unscrupulous or unprofessional behaviour on someone's part. Very few journalists would tell you that, but it's true. And in every case, the reporter responsible will firmly believe that person's grudge will be due to any number of negative motives, but never once consider that they might have provoked it unnecessarily by being a prick.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
ghouck
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Afro-Mullets RULE!

« Reply #1186 on: April 22, 2011, 07:03:52 PM »

To offer a slightly different perspective, when we see a story about a celebrity freaking out on a papparazzo (papparazzi is plural), that represents a tiny fraction of the interactions between that celebrity and the press. They understand that media attention is part of the job, and they generally welcome publicity, because each celebrity is a brand, and brand awareness means more money.

On the other hand, there are journalists who have a serious problem with boundaries, even among their peers. There are some who are under the gun to produce something, and when a great opportunity presents itself, they act without thinking. There are some who are just stupid or obnoxious, same as in any other profession. I don't think anybody gets punched just for sticking a camera in somebody's face. There's more to the story that we aren't hearing. The typical account we get of an altercation between a celebrity and a photographer is either going to come through the same photographer, the publication they work for, or some other media outlet with just as much of an interest in protecting their licence to pry. Journalists always want more access, and they'll stick up for each other to protect themselves. Plus, they all want to put the most sensational spin they can on the story, and someone getting justifiably angry isn't as exciting as a huge overreaction. So, we don't get a detailed account of the circumstances, or any background or context that might actually help us to understand what happened.

I've seen plenty of not-so-famous people (city officials and the like) who have developed a serious beef with the press, and it has nearly always been because of consistently unscrupulous or unprofessional behaviour on someone's part. Very few journalists would tell you that, but it's true. And in every case, the reporter responsible will firmly believe that person's grudge will be due to any number of negative motives, but never once consider that they might have provoked it unnecessarily by being a prick.

These are some very good points. No matter what the situation, there seems to be someone from the media there to try and distort the facts or create a reaction. I wonder how many times some dickhead p**ses someone off intentionally just to get a new camera or some money for getting punched in the face. IIRC, Tommy Lee paid MUCH more than what any pictures were worth for breaking a camera which also bashed the guy in the eye. As litigious as people are, it seems that it would be easy to make a living off that sort of crap.

I do remember a press conference early on in Desert Storm where some weaselly little butt-plug was asking Stormin' Norman questions and it was obvious he was looking for negative answers. He was a whiny little turd, i personally wanted to punch him. He kept asking the same questions disregarding the answers and trying to twist them around. He asked, in the whiniest, wormy voice "Is it true that we are running out of targets for our troops to attack"? The General looked at him pretty sternly and said "No, THEY are running out of targets for our troops to attack" and gave him a stare that just about made him cry.

Raw bacon is GREAT! It's like regular bacon, only faster, and it doesn't burn the roof of your mouth!

Happiness is green text in the "Stuff To Watch For" section.

James James: The man so nice, they named him twice.

"Aw man, this thong is chafing my balls" -Lloyd Kaufman in Poultrygeist.

"There's always time for lubricant" -Orlando Jones in Evolution
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1187 on: April 23, 2011, 12:05:35 PM »

I hate having to confirm things on the computer.  "Do you want to quit the game?"  Well duh, I just hit "quit" didn't I?  This crap is to save you the inconvenience of accidentally doing the wrong thing - but if I have to confirm my decisions dozens and dozens of times over a period of weeks, it's a hell of a lot bigger inconvenience than the inconvenience it's meant to save me from, isn't it?
« Last Edit: April 23, 2011, 12:12:50 PM by Jack » Logged

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
Mr. DS
Master Of Cinematic Bowel Movements
B-Movie Kraken

Get this thread cleaned up or YOU'RE FIRED!!!

« Reply #1188 on: April 23, 2011, 08:47:34 PM »

I hate having to confirm things on the computer.  "Do you want to quit the game?"  Well duh, I just hit "quit" didn't I?  This crap is to save you the inconvenience of accidentally doing the wrong thing - but if I have to confirm my decisions dozens and dozens of times over a period of weeks, it's a hell of a lot bigger inconvenience than the inconvenience it's meant to save me from, isn't it?
For me this irks me at work.  Every program I work with has to counter interact with you asking if you REALLY mean to do it.  Kind of an insult if you ask me.

DarkSider's Realm
http://darksidersrealm.blogspot.com/

"You think the honey badger cares?  It doesn't give a sh*t."  Randall
ghouck

Afro-Mullets RULE!

« Reply #1189 on: April 24, 2011, 02:36:34 PM »

I think there's a way to disable that.

Raw bacon is GREAT! It's like regular bacon, only faster, and it doesn't burn the roof of your mouth!

ghouck

Afro-Mullets RULE!

« Reply #1190 on: April 27, 2011, 11:58:30 PM »

People that get offended when I say the metric system is better than SAE. I really don't care which is used, but it does suck having 2 of every toolset. It seems like older people are the worst about it, as if not completely hating the metric system is un-American or something. I see it as being a pretty decent way of doing things: a 10 CM cube is one liter, and one liter of water is one kilogram. Considering that specific gravities are based on the weight of water, they are pretty useful conversion. It takes quite a bit of the math out of engineering, and THAT seems to be a point that people bring up when arguing against it, as if we're all going to lose all our math skills. The most common argument is "you can't divide 10 by three and have an even answer". What makes the whole SAE system suck IMO is the use of fractions AND decimals, it makes things a PIA. Considering that in surveying they use feet and tenths of a foot, and tenths of a tenth it's obvious the SEA system is kinda a PIA at times.

Psycho Circus
B-Movie Kraken

Shake The Faith

« Reply #1191 on: April 28, 2011, 01:11:21 PM »

People in supermarkets that stop in the middle of an aisle to conduct their social life, and leave their carts/trolleys at awkward angles. Just get your stuff and GET OUT!  Hatred

JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #1192 on: April 28, 2011, 08:45:31 PM »

People who take all day to get checked out...you know stop to write a check, chit chat, joke around, can't find their debit or credit card, insist on arguing about the price on everything...and all this while a line backed up seemingly around the block waits on...

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1193 on: April 29, 2011, 11:52:59 AM »

People who take all day to get checked out...you know stop to write a check, chit chat, joke around, can't find their debit or credit card, insist on arguing about the price on everything...and all this while a line backed up seemingly around the block waits on...

Or waiting in a long line because a store with a dozen checkouts only has two cashiers on duty.

---------------------
Mr. DS
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1194 on: April 29, 2011, 11:57:21 AM »

Or waiting in a long line because a store with a dozen checkouts only has two cashiers on duty.
Ditto to both. 

New one I realized today.  Kind of an offbeat one that only may apply to me.  I don't like when little boys get whiny and start crying.  Not sure why to be honest but it make me mad often.  With little girls I don't react that way but little boys, I feel myself getting irritated.  My two boys do cry from time to time and I do my best to curb those feelings. 

Maybe its something in my psychological imbalance that makes me feel that way.  Oh perhaps its because I don't ever recall acting like that.  Matter of fact I asked my mother once if I was one to get emotional at a young age and she said "no". 

DarkSider's Realm

indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #1195 on: April 29, 2011, 08:43:58 PM »

Tomorrow is an Indian Artifact Show of which I and my best friend are the organizers/hosts.  We use the sanctuary of the church he attends because it's large enough to set up 20 tables and they let us use it for whatever amount we choose to donate - which is way cheaper than our $800 a day civic center.  So I drove over there tonight to set up tables and get everything ready for tomorrow - and they are setting up for an overnight youth event!  Apparently the pastor did not look at his calendar correctly; he thought our show was today instead of tomorrow and we would be out of their building before any kids arrived!  Both events are well publicized and long-planned, so neither can cancel.  The compromise is that they will clear out a couple hours early and we will start an hour and a half late . . . but I'm still ticked!  learn to read a calendar, dude!!!! Hatred

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1196 on: April 29, 2011, 11:37:21 PM »

Tomorrow is an Indian Artifact Show of which I and my best friend are the organizers/hosts.  We use the sanctuary of the church he attends because it's large enough to set up 20 tables and they let us use it for whatever amount we choose to donate - which is way cheaper than our $800 a day civic center.  So I drove over there tonight to set up tables and get everything ready for tomorrow - and they are setting up for an overnight youth event!  Apparently the pastor did not look at his calendar correctly; he thought our show was today instead of tomorrow and we would be out of their building before any kids arrived!  Both events are well publicized and long-planned, so neither can cancel.  The compromise is that they will clear out a couple hours early and we will start an hour and a half late . . . but I'm still ticked!  learn to read a calendar, dude!!!! Hatred

On the bright side, when you show up bright and early, you can help yourself to some of their breakfast.

---------------------
El Misfit
[Insert witty here]
B-Movie Kraken

Hi there!

« Reply #1197 on: May 08, 2011, 05:06:11 PM »

I can't watch one of my fav. music vids on Youtube because of this reason:
"The uploader has not made this video available in your country.
Sorry about that."
The hell? If I wasn't able to watch it, then how the hell was I able to put it in my fav's list then and know it's good?
to make matters worst, I have to watch it under Vevo  Thumbdown Hatred f**kin channel puts commercials on the vid. before you say about adblock, everytime I use it, i can't view the vid. it's a lose lose situation for me. Hatred Bluesad
« Last Edit: May 08, 2011, 05:08:31 PM by El Toro Loco » Logged

yeah no.
Mr. DS
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1198 on: May 08, 2011, 08:29:41 PM »

Tresspassers.  I can't stand people who think a sign that says, "Keep Out" applies to everyone but them. 

DarkSider's Realm

Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #1199 on: May 08, 2011, 09:03:52 PM »

Ratings inflation.  I swear, there are so many people who never score anything under a 3 on a 5 scale that it's almost useless to look at their ratings.  I rated something 2.5/5 on another site and someone wrote me saying, "so it's awful?  Too bad, I was looking forward to it."  No, you nincompoop, 2.5/5 is about average---do the math!

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Pages: 1 ... 78 79 [80] 81 82 ... 162
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  You Know What Really Grinds My Gears? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.