Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 05, 2024, 04:37:31 AM
715927 Posts in 53160 Topics by 7771 Members
Latest Member: VernMolone
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  You Know What Really Grinds My Gears? « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 87 88 [89] 90 91 ... 162
Author Topic: You Know What Really Grinds My Gears?  (Read 647500 times)
Cthulhu
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #1320 on: June 16, 2011, 10:42:25 AM »

Sorry.  I was just trying to redirect the topic away from politics.

I . . . just . . . can't . . .make anyone happy! Bluesad Bluesad Bluesad Bluesad
I concur. That was a great effort. But spoilers tend to grind my gears. TeddyR Wink
El Misfit
[Insert witty here]
B-Movie Kraken

Hi there!

« Reply #1321 on: June 16, 2011, 10:47:20 AM »

Sorry.  I was just trying to redirect the topic away from politics.

I . . . just . . . can't . . .make anyone happy! Bluesad Bluesad Bluesad Bluesad

ehh, we talk about the past, and coming from a soon to be HS Senor, that's got to be something. TeddyR Smile

yeah no.
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #1322 on: June 16, 2011, 01:13:32 PM »

I learned something since I been on the internet-which aint been that long. Mostly from my clashes with an old BADMOVIES member named Cheezeflix (great guy btw)
Never argue politics on line-because if you can't physically punch the guy in the face you won't be happy.

I can't say I would punch anybody on this site, and certainly not Indy. I happen to be a mature adult, well, except for my movie tastes.
Certainly not Indy. Indy's good people.  Smile
But there was some shmuck who usta post here-think he's banned now (surprised I'm not!) who I just wanted to strangle.
Yes-I'm a mature adult too. I don't recall too many kids fighting over politics.  Wink

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #1323 on: June 16, 2011, 03:48:50 PM »

Awww . . . I love you guys too!!! TeddyR

GROUP HUG!!!!!! Cheers

('cept for Trevor - I might get underwear cooties.  I guess I'd hug him if he WEREN'T wearing his legendary underpants - WAIT!! NO!!!!! That came out all wrong!!! Buggedout Buggedout)

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1324 on: June 17, 2011, 02:01:58 PM »

OK, here's one I thought of while standing around in a broiling hot bank foyer today. People who use the cash machine at the bank for more than quick deposits and withdrawals annoy me every time. If you have cash and multiple cheques to deposit, multiple accounts to manage and bills to pay, go inside. Today, I was one of three or four people waiting for somebody to sort out a handful of stuff at the ATM, and slowly hunt and peck her way around the keypad, as these people always seem to do. It was right after lunchtime, and I could see that the bank was by no means busy. She would have had a shorter wait for a teller than the people behind her had for the bloody cash machine. And the teller would no doubt have gotten her out again much faster. Had I known she would take that long, I could have walked to the supermarket across the street, got my money from the machine there and come back, and she'd still have been at it.

I just wanted $20 to buy a burger and fries from the truck in the parking lot outside. The longest part of my transaction was the machine spitting out the bill and my receipt. That's what those machines are for - simple transactions that aren't worth bothering a teller. If you've got more than a deposit or a withdrawal, go inside.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #1325 on: June 17, 2011, 03:07:54 PM »

OK, here's one I thought of while standing around in a broiling hot bank foyer today. People who use the cash machine at the bank for more than quick deposits and withdrawals annoy me every time. If you have cash and multiple cheques to deposit, multiple accounts to manage and bills to pay, go inside. Today, I was one of three or four people waiting for somebody to sort out a handful of stuff at the ATM, and slowly hunt and peck her way around the keypad, as these people always seem to do. It was right after lunchtime, and I could see that the bank was by no means busy. She would have had a shorter wait for a teller than the people behind her had for the bloody cash machine. And the teller would no doubt have gotten her out again much faster. Had I known she would take that long, I could have walked to the supermarket across the street, got my money from the machine there and come back, and she'd still have been at it.

I just wanted $20 to buy a burger and fries from the truck in the parking lot outside. The longest part of my transaction was the machine spitting out the bill and my receipt. That's what those machines are for - simple transactions that aren't worth bothering a teller. If you've got more than a deposit or a withdrawal, go inside.

That's because people would rather deal with a machine than deal with people. I appreciate technology, don't get me wrong, but there's a nudge toward anti-social tendencies that takes place. That, and people are simply becoming more accustomed to using technology instead of people.

The same phenomenon applies to the self checkout at the supermarket. They come in handy if you've got a small number of items, and I use them all the time for that purpose, but if you've got a cart full of groceries, it actually takes less time to go through the cashier. I love my wife dearly, but always heads for the self checkout even when we've got a week's full of groceries. I don't think she necessarily thinks it's more convenient, it's just a habit she's adopted. There are all these extra steps involved like entering in produce codes, and waiting for the thing to sense that I've placed the item in the bagging area, etc., when the cashier will do it much quicker, and somebody will bag it for me as well.

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
Cthulhu

« Reply #1326 on: June 22, 2011, 06:51:01 AM »

Everytime I try to vote on IMDB I get the message:"Sorry, there was a problem".
Every.Single.f**king.Time.
Fix this, goddamnit.
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1327 on: June 22, 2011, 07:55:28 AM »

That's because people would rather deal with a machine than deal with people. I appreciate technology, don't get me wrong, but there's a nudge toward anti-social tendencies that takes place. That, and people are simply becoming more accustomed to using technology instead of people.

The same phenomenon applies to the self checkout at the supermarket. They come in handy if you've got a small number of items, and I use them all the time for that purpose, but if you've got a cart full of groceries, it actually takes less time to go through the cashier. I love my wife dearly, but always heads for the self checkout even when we've got a week's full of groceries. I don't think she necessarily thinks it's more convenient, it's just a habit she's adopted. There are all these extra steps involved like entering in produce codes, and waiting for the thing to sense that I've placed the item in the bagging area, etc., when the cashier will do it much quicker, and somebody will bag it for me as well.

There's another one that bugs me. People who go through the self checkout with a full cart. Not what it's for. I assume the rules for the express checkout apply there as well. Ten items or less.

The funny thing is I'd rather serve myself if at all possible, but I don't find the self-checkout better in many situations. And at the Home Depot, where items can vary so much in size, weight and where the barcodes are located, I hate checking myself out, and will always try to get a real cashier for anything larger than a small box of screws. Naturally, that's the store where they've replaced most of the checkouts with these things. You want a human cashier, there's one on duty at a given time, and there could be a long line - made much longer by everyone having a load of lumber. What makes the self-checkout really annoying is that they make it so foolproof that it becomes a pain in the ass. Suddenly, the thing doesn't like something you've rung through, and you have to stand around waiting for a real cashier to fix it. Depending on how finicky it's being, you can get "assistance" with all the patronizing annoyance of a call to tech support.

As for complicated banking at the cash machine, there might be something to what you're saying. It always seems to be 50-something women doing it, which might suggest that they're not old enough to be set in the ways of using a teller, yet not young enough to trust or know how to use online banking.

---------------------
Mr. DS
Master Of Cinematic Bowel Movements
B-Movie Kraken

Get this thread cleaned up or YOU'RE FIRED!!!

« Reply #1328 on: June 22, 2011, 08:00:18 AM »

I did a blog piece on my ventures into ATM use.  I have the same problems as Andy apparently.

DarkSider's Realm
http://darksidersrealm.blogspot.com/

"You think the honey badger cares?  It doesn't give a sh*t."  Randall
Psycho Circus
B-Movie Kraken

Shake The Faith

« Reply #1329 on: June 22, 2011, 08:24:49 AM »

There's another one that bugs me. People who go through the self checkout with a full cart. Not what it's for. I assume the rules for the express checkout apply there as well. Ten items or less.

Whenever I used to go shopping with my ex girlfriend, she would always insist on using the self-checkout when we had a full cart of shopping. It took forever, there was no room and everyone was always staring at us and looking p**sed off. I used to get really embarrassed by that.

AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1330 on: June 22, 2011, 08:54:28 AM »

Whenever I used to go shopping with my ex girlfriend, she would always insist on using the self-checkout when we had a full cart of shopping. It took forever, there was no room and everyone was always staring at us and looking p**sed off. I used to get really embarrassed by that.

Some people seem to have a high threshold for embarrassment. My wife is such a person.

Last weekend, we were playing a disco CD in the car. My daughter had gone to a friend's birthday party, which was disco themed. Very good idea for a girl's sixth birthday. Being the expert on things cheesy and 70s, I helped out by mixing a CD for the kid's parents - 70 minutes of fun disco hits suitable for kids. They gave back the CD afterward, and it was still in the car when we took a shopping trip on Saturday, so I popped it in for Ro, who got a kick out of it.

All was well until we were driving through the parking lot at the mall, and my wife tries to crank up "Disco Duck" with the windows down. After a battle for the volume knob, I managed to eject the disc and put it out of reach. Ro was a little confused, and Lori explained that "Your father is a big baby." Nice. She later revised that to "old fuddy-duddy." I got the usual question of why I care what strangers think. The funny thing is that I would worry less about people I know, because they at least have some context for my behaviour. Strangers can assume anything. In this case, I probably wouldn't have cared so much if it had been the Bee Gees or Earth, Wind and Fire, but an old Rick Dees novelty song with a talking duck was just too weird to be blasting through a busy parking lot.

Later on, while I ran into the Home Depot to get something, my wife apparently cranked up "Staying Alive" in the parking lot, just to observe people's reactions. Her observation was that some guys would just keep walking, while others would fall in step with the music and develop a bit of a strut. Certainly interesting, and funny, but I'm just as glad I was in the store while this was going on.

---------------------
Mr. DS
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1331 on: June 22, 2011, 10:04:32 PM »

Actually my wife and I used to do that but he had a great sense of teamwork.

DarkSider's Realm

Psycho Circus
B-Movie Kraken

Shake The Faith

« Reply #1332 on: June 23, 2011, 05:49:09 AM »

Buggedout

El Misfit
[Insert witty here]
B-Movie Kraken

Hi there!

« Reply #1333 on: June 23, 2011, 08:33:16 AM »

Buggedout
BounceGiggle BounceGiggle BounceGiggle

yeah no.
Mr. DS
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1334 on: June 23, 2011, 09:03:22 AM »

Buggedout
BounceGiggle BounceGiggle BounceGiggle
Well I guess the secret is out.... Bluesad

DarkSider's Realm

Pages: 1 ... 87 88 [89] 90 91 ... 162
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  You Know What Really Grinds My Gears? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.