Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 05, 2024, 01:18:12 PM
715940 Posts in 53161 Topics by 7771 Members
Latest Member: VernMolone
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  You Know What Really Grinds My Gears? « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 121 122 [123] 124 125 ... 162
Author Topic: You Know What Really Grinds My Gears?  (Read 647556 times)
ulthar
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« Reply #1830 on: June 06, 2012, 10:39:50 PM »

Volunteer organization. Standard argument for deflecting criticism or unwanted questions.

"Nobody's getting paid to do this you know. We don't have to be here. How dare you say such things about these people who are here out of the goodness of their hearts."

A real BS artist can take a highly specific complaint about leadership and turn it into a slam against the whole organization.

Yeah, and the funny thing is that I was not even complaining about leadership but merely asking which statement is TRUE: "We have no money" or "We have over $3000."  Only one can be.

I did follow up with "and if it's "we have no money" then "Where did it go?"  The publicly reported expenses were to the tune of a few hundred, not thousands.  I think, as one paying into the system, that such a question is reasonable to ask.  Silly me.

Oh well.  Onward and upward.  It's past time to move on (once I get my children out of the time commitment we made...which will be over next week).

Thanks, all.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #1831 on: June 07, 2012, 07:21:57 PM »

How about when you ask a question in a group and get every answer except to the question you asked...then end up looking (and feeling) like the bad guy, or worse, for pressing the issue...
Story of my life. 
(You are long-winded, though.)

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
Pacman000
« Reply #1832 on: June 07, 2012, 07:48:07 PM »

Back to things that grind my gears -

CHIGGERS!!!! Can't see them, can't smell them, can't touch them - but MAN, can you feel them!!!!!

YES!!!
El Misfit
[Insert witty here]
B-Movie Kraken

Hi there!

« Reply #1833 on: June 09, 2012, 07:17:10 PM »

On Youtube, since I have an account, people keep sending me vids and keep adding me as a conact. Look, the only way your going to get my attention is if you specifically PM via my channel. NOW STOP! Hatred

yeah no.
Doggett
Bustin' makes me feel good !

I've seen things you people couldn't imagine...

« Reply #1834 on: June 12, 2012, 02:46:52 PM »

People who have strong opinions on subjects they know nothing about.

If God exists, why did he make me an atheist? Thats His first mistake.
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1835 on: June 12, 2012, 03:22:27 PM »

That's a lot of people, and they do get annoying fast.

Also, and this is especially true when it comes to politics, people who admit they don't know much about something, but feel they must have an opinion anyway. They usually don't even go to the trouble of forming their own half-baked opinion, but rather resort to parroting stuff they've heard other people say.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
ghouck

Afro-Mullets RULE!

« Reply #1836 on: June 17, 2012, 12:15:33 AM »

This 100%. As most of you know I work in a prison, and it seems people that have never set foot in one think they know everything about how things inside should be done, and that the people actually there know nothing. What's worse is someone lays out a severely flawed plan, they almost always resort to "you're just arguing for the sake of arguing" when you try and point out that it simply does not work like that and why. I get a laugh out of much of it and have learned to not even bother thinking about how dumb much of it is. I had someone, a family member, tell me "The prisoners should get just enough food that they are fit as a horse, and not a bit more". I'd really like to see how that can be done without creating more problems and cost more than the system we use.

Raw bacon is GREAT! It's like regular bacon, only faster, and it doesn't burn the roof of your mouth!

Happiness is green text in the "Stuff To Watch For" section.

James James: The man so nice, they named him twice.

"Aw man, this thong is chafing my balls" -Lloyd Kaufman in Poultrygeist.

"There's always time for lubricant" -Orlando Jones in Evolution
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1837 on: June 17, 2012, 08:09:41 AM »

I had someone, a family member, tell me "The prisoners should get just enough food that they are fit as a horse, and not a bit more". I'd really like to see how that can be done without creating more problems and cost more than the system we use.

Sure. All you have to do is calculate appropriate portion sizes for everyone, measure out the correct portions for them at every meal, seize and carefully ration any snacks or treats they might get their hands on, make sure nobody's cheating, put down the ensuing riot, defend the policy in court against various human rights groups, continuously monitor everyone's health and activity level and fine tune their portions. Oh, and take great care in purchasing and preparing the food so there are absolutely no leftovers. What could be simpler? The system would be so much more efficient without naysayers always defending the status quo.

TeddyR

---------------------
Raffine

« Reply #1838 on: June 17, 2012, 09:49:27 AM »

Newt - click the "Compatibility View" icon at the top of your browser.  That'll fix it.

Back to things that grind my gears -

CHIGGERS!!!! Can't see them, can't smell them, can't touch them - but MAN, can you feel them!!!!!

Chiggers are good for one thing - if you have annoying Big City relatives or visitors in town (most commonly from Up North) they are easily convinced that even on the hottest, most humid of southern summer days if they wear long jeans and wrap their lower legs in aluminum foil they can avoid the horrors of chigger bites. 

They'll believe you, too TeddyR

If you're an Andy Milligan fan there's no hope for you.
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #1839 on: June 17, 2012, 10:34:44 AM »

One of my favorite examples of this phenomenon is consumers who complain that they think the price of something they want to buy is too high.  "If they lowered the price [to what I want to pay] they'd make a lot more money!"

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
El Misfit
[Insert witty here]
B-Movie Kraken

Hi there!

« Reply #1840 on: June 17, 2012, 05:45:37 PM »

I really hate .rar files, why do I have to pay for that stuff when it's really nothing that special?! Hatred

yeah no.
ghouck

Afro-Mullets RULE!

« Reply #1841 on: June 17, 2012, 08:28:27 PM »

I really hate .rar files, why do I have to pay for that stuff when it's really nothing that special?! Hatred
Yea, .rar files were useful back when usenet was popular and also when floppy discs were used, but now they're largely pointless. Also, use 7zip, it's free.

Raw bacon is GREAT! It's like regular bacon, only faster, and it doesn't burn the roof of your mouth!

ghouck

Afro-Mullets RULE!

« Reply #1842 on: June 17, 2012, 08:29:48 PM »

I had someone, a family member, tell me "The prisoners should get just enough food that they are fit as a horse, and not a bit more". I'd really like to see how that can be done without creating more problems and cost more than the system we use.

Sure. All you have to do is calculate appropriate portion sizes for everyone, measure out the correct portions for them at every meal, seize and carefully ration any snacks or treats they might get their hands on, make sure nobody's cheating, put down the ensuing riot, defend the policy in court against various human rights groups, continuously monitor everyone's health and activity level and fine tune their portions. Oh, and take great care in purchasing and preparing the food so there are absolutely no leftovers. What could be simpler? The system would be so much more efficient without naysayers always defending the status quo.

TeddyR

Don't forget the part about keeping the stronger from taking from the weaker.

AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1843 on: June 17, 2012, 09:34:35 PM »

TeddyR

Don't forget the part about keeping the stronger from taking from the weaker.

People who push ideas they haven't thought through. Is that a separate peeve or part of the same one?

It's especially annoying when the great idea being pushed is nothing new.

Back when I used to sit on the committee for a big local street party, somebody would come along every year proposing things that had been hashed out many times before, and found to be impractical. The big one every year was letting minors into the beer garden. This beer garden held about a thousand people, and the only barrier around it was a plastic snow fence. Security was two cops and a couple dozen volunteers. There was just no way we could do it that addressed all the issues of safety, liability and underage drinking. And the place was packed with just the adults in it anyway, and they were the ones we made money off of.

Every year, we got people who thought it was ridiculous that their family fun couldn't include sitting around drinking beer. It was just hugely unfair to them that they should be limited to just the live music, dancing, food, soft drinks, games and prize draws. And they came to us with the same ideas of hand stamps and wrist bands and whatnot that we'd already thoroughly discussed and investigated and rejected more than once before. Never occured to them that they were proposing some pretty obvious stuff, and we'd be doing it already if it was as simple as they believed.

---------------------
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #1844 on: June 17, 2012, 10:10:52 PM »

I recently joined Facebook, and one of my old High School buddies is on there.  He is constantly posting an absolute barrage of political and historical posts that are contradictory and many of them flat out untrue - most recently, he said that Union Cavalry came through south Texas after the Civil War and hung 55 Southerners who would not swear allegiance to the Union - in fact, it was CONFEDERATE Cavalry that lynched 55 Unionists, including women and children, for refusing to swear allegiance to the Confederacy.  He has very strong opinions about a variety of topics that he has zero knowledge of, and you guys know me - I simply can't walk away from that sort of thing!  But the incredible flood of ignorance and prejudice is overwhelming at times!

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Pages: 1 ... 121 122 [123] 124 125 ... 162
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  You Know What Really Grinds My Gears? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.