Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 18, 2024, 11:11:02 PM
712920 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  You Know What Really Grinds My Gears? « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 138 139 [140] 141 142 ... 162
Author Topic: You Know What Really Grinds My Gears?  (Read 619969 times)
ulthar
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« Reply #2085 on: May 09, 2013, 04:00:07 PM »

One of my favorite Youtuber got banned due to "3rd party claims." I have no idea why they would attack people, since he gave the copyright to the artist and recording studios, he wasn't claiming that it was his. Bluesad I'm tired of these damn bullies. Hatred

It's not enough to "give the copyright to the artist."  They own it, they get to decide how it is used.  They are not bullies...it's called respecting what other people OWN.  If they don't want some third party guy posting it on youtube...that is their right.

Don't like it?  Work to change the law.  Better have deep pockets for that effort, though.

Now, it is my understanding that youtube does not "ban" users on first offenses or in situations that the infraction seems iffy on intent to do harm.  I would suspect there is more to this than either you know or you are telling.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #2086 on: May 09, 2013, 04:31:25 PM »

One of my favorite Youtuber got banned due to "3rd party claims." I have no idea why they would attack people, since he gave the copyright to the artist and recording studios, he wasn't claiming that it was his. Bluesad I'm tired of these damn bullies. Hatred

It's not enough to "give the copyright to the artist."  They own it, they get to decide how it is used.  They are not bullies...it's called respecting what other people OWN.  If they don't want some third party guy posting it on youtube...that is their right.

Don't like it?  Work to change the law.  Better have deep pockets for that effort, though.

Now, it is my understanding that youtube does not "ban" users on first offenses or in situations that the infraction seems iffy on intent to do harm.  I would suspect there is more to this than either you know or you are telling.

It's incredible to me how people can think they can reproduce people's copyrighted material on YouTube and put up a notice saying "no copyright infringement intended" and think that they're OK. Kids growing up today literally have no understanding of what a copyright is. (Hint: it's the exclusive legal right to make copies!)

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
El Misfit
[Insert witty here]
B-Movie Kraken

Hi there!

« Reply #2087 on: May 10, 2013, 09:40:58 AM »

It's incredible to me how people can think they can reproduce people's copyrighted material on YouTube and put up a notice saying "no copyright infringement intended" and think that they're OK. Kids growing up today literally have no understanding of what a copyright is. (Hint: it's the exclusive legal right to make copies!)

You two obviously don't see it the way I do- You both see it as they are stealing music, I see it as a way to listen to it to see if I would like it and then I will buy it. If you say b.s. then you would be wasting your time trying to convince me.

yeah no.
bob
I survived Bucky Larson

Torgo watches you masterbate!

« Reply #2088 on: May 10, 2013, 10:05:39 AM »

Five weeks I've been waiting on my meds now.  Hatred

Kubrick, Nolan, Tarantino, Wan, Iñárritu, Scorsese, Chaplin, Abrams, Wes Anderson, Gilliam, Kurosawa - the elite

I believe in the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.
ulthar

« Reply #2089 on: May 10, 2013, 10:45:53 AM »

You two obviously don't see it the way I do- You both see it as they are stealing music, I see it as a way to listen to it to see if I would like it and then I will buy it. If you say b.s. then you would be wasting your time trying to convince me.

What you are missing is that is it not your decision to make.  The other guy, the one that produced it, owns the music.  It's all HIS decision, not matter what you think about it.

I've used music youtube videos that I produced.  I'm in a 'derivative work' Fair Use limbo ... on the edge of the lines in some cases.  I could well be asked to take them down, and I would respect that.    These are home movies and not really intended for mass consumption.

I am not reproducing the songs and distributing them.  Fine line?  Perhaps.  Maybe I'm just as much "in the wrong."  But I'm up front about what I'm doing, I respect youtube ToS on the use of creative content and more importantly than that...I respect the content owner's right to ask me to stop without complaining about it.

I may never convince you, that's true.  But you are going to have a sad time in this world if you really think the world is (and should) operate the way you want it to and according to your rules - especially when those rules are completely self-serving.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2013, 10:55:51 AM by ulthar » Logged

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--Real Genius
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #2090 on: May 10, 2013, 10:55:28 AM »

El Misfit, my issue isn't even really YouTubers stances on copyright law---it's that they don't even bother to try to understand the basic concept.  People continually infringe copyrights and then post a "disclaimer" saying "no copyright infringement intended." Wikipedia is just a click away, why assume you understand what copyright infringement means without even bothering to look it up?

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
El Misfit
[Insert witty here]
B-Movie Kraken

Hi there!

« Reply #2091 on: May 10, 2013, 11:10:46 AM »

El Misfit, my issue isn't even really YouTubers stances on copyright law---it's that they don't even bother to try to understand the basic concept.  People continually infringe copyrights and then post a "disclaimer" saying "no copyright infringement intended." Wikipedia is just a click away, why assume you understand what copyright infringement means without even bothering to look it up?

Stuff like that makes me more confused in life, since it isn't easily explained. I ask my parents and it does little to make me understand it.

yeah no.
ulthar

« Reply #2092 on: May 10, 2013, 11:47:11 AM »

Stuff like that makes me more confused in life, since it isn't easily explained. I ask my parents and it does little to make me understand it.

"Ignorance of the law is no excuse."

If you don't understand something like a law, ignoring it is not the right answer.  Seeking understanding is.

In terms of details, copyright is extremely confusing.  There are lawyers that specialize in copyright law and a lot of THEM say it's hard to get.  If you don't understand it, you are in good company.  Most people don't, it seems.

But, that's the details. The basic concept is rather simple, really.

When someone creates something...a photograph, painting, piece of music, short story, whatever, that 'creation' is their "Intellectual Property."  They own it, and have complete and total control on how it is, well, copied (and distributed, etc).

Let's say you own a car.  You have the keys and the right to lock the car and deny others the use of your car.  I cannot (legally) come get into your car, with a key or otherwise, and go for a joy ride.  You own it; you control it.  If I used your car against your will or without your knowledge, you could seek damages from me (use of gasoline, damage repair, etc) and/or seek criminal prosecution.

You seem reluctant to consider copying music "theft," but since the creation is defined as a form of property, violation of copyright is exactly that....theft.  It's not theft of a tangible thing, like a car, but it is theft intellectual property.  I like to think of it as theft of control.

A lot of the problems with understanding it is that there are cases where intellectual property CAN be used or copied.  It's like saying, "Taking El Misfit's car is okay, but just if you take it to the grocery store.  Well, not if the store is more than 5 miles away, or if it's raining.  Or, maybe when it is raining is okay so long as ..." and a whole bunch of grey areas exist.

There are also other ways it gets tricky, but the gist is, as Rev said, he who owns the Copyright has the (exclusive) Right to Copy.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2013, 11:50:18 AM by ulthar » Logged

--Real Genius
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2093 on: May 10, 2013, 12:27:20 PM »

Something from my view re copyright: I can't release any footage or films here at the NFVSA for use in documentaries etc until the rights issues have been cleared and all royalties have been paid to the rights holder. All of our newsreels dating back to 1919 are owned by the SA Broadcasting Company (SABC) and the clients have to clear it with them first before they can use the footage.

I get a lot of people asking me to 'just put that on a DVD for me' but I can't and I won't. Can't because we have no film to video transfer facilities and won't because I would lose my job if I did that.   Buggedout

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
bob
I survived Bucky Larson

« Reply #2094 on: May 18, 2013, 05:49:04 AM »

6 weeks without my meds now.  Hatred Hatred

Kubrick, Nolan, Tarantino, Wan, Iñárritu, Scorsese, Chaplin, Abrams, Wes Anderson, Gilliam, Kurosawa - the elite

I believe in the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.
bob
I survived Bucky Larson

« Reply #2095 on: May 22, 2013, 04:36:56 PM »

My fridge gave out yesterday over night. There was a ton of water that  soaked through to the celiing tiles in the basement that were beneath it. Everything in that big fridge remarkably fit in a minifridge  in the basement. A grand later a new fridge will be arriving tomorrow.

bob
I survived Bucky Larson

« Reply #2096 on: May 22, 2013, 04:48:38 PM »

Here's something per copyright that I may have to deal with down the road.

While I did write this

http://www.cracked.com/article_20213_7-mind-blowing-easter-eggs-hidden-in-famous-publications.html

and co-wrote this

http://www.cracked.com/article_20405_6-mind-blowing-pop-culture-questions-answered-by-super-fans.html

I simply can not reproduce it to make a profit while still giving Cracked credit without making some sort of deal with them first. That is because as part of my user agreement is that I give all my rights and things of those nature to them regarding the contents of the articles and I'd be breaking the law and could be sued.

In the past they have come to terms with people to reproduce that content after agreeing to terms.

indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #2097 on: May 22, 2013, 08:20:25 PM »

I am sick to death of publishing houses that want ME to pay THEM to publish my book!  I want someone to pay ME!!!!!! hot

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #2098 on: May 30, 2013, 01:58:23 PM »

I am sick to death of publishing houses that want ME to pay THEM to publish my book!  I want someone to pay ME!!!!!! hot

Don't give up hope, Indy. We, on this board, know how talented you are, and there's someone out there who wants your book. A couple of thoughts,  have you thought about getting an agent to shop your book around to the publishers? And have you thought of the university presses here in Texas?
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #2099 on: May 30, 2013, 03:27:22 PM »

I've been shopping it around to various agents.  As far as university presses go, I don't think they go for fiction.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Pages: 1 ... 138 139 [140] 141 142 ... 162
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  You Know What Really Grinds My Gears? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.