Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 08:18:43 PM
714417 Posts in 53097 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Top 5 Premium Liqour Thread « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Top 5 Premium Liqour Thread  (Read 2448 times)
Flick James
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« on: July 02, 2010, 10:02:57 AM »

At Andrew's request.  Cheers

Actually, he wanted a whiskey thread, but I thought I'd broaden it. What about your top 5 of the quality hard stuff. Not the Jim Beam you drink on a regular basis, but the stuff you buy when it's time to splurge. No mixed drinks, but you may include liqueurs if you like. I'm with Andrew in that I'm a whiskey man, but I do like a good vodka here and there. So let's hear your favorite "top shelf" choices:

1. Jameson Special Reserve Irish Whiskey (father-in-law bought me a bottle to celebrate the birth of my son recently. I'm now a big fan)
2. Connemara Cask Strength (peated Irish whiskey from an small-time distillery. Hard to find and expensive, and perhaps the finest straight sipping whiskey I've ever tasted. If you DARE use ice you'd better head to confession and do some serious penance)
3. Belvedere Vodka (Yes, Grey Goose is awesome too, but I keep coming back to Belvedere when it's time to splurge)
4. Courvoisier Cognac Napoleon (One of their more premium cognacs, pretty expensive, but talk about a fine digestif for after a particularly fine meal)
5. Macallan 18-year-old Scotch (I'm partial to Irish, but I was given a glass of this once and it was one of the finest I've ever had. You can really taste the oak. Quite expensive)

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
Andrew
Administrator

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2010, 12:10:10 PM »

For the splurging:

1.  Glenfiddich 18 year

actually a tie on #2:

2.  Glenfiddich 15 year or Chateau de Laubade Armagnac VSOP (funny, I like this better than the XO - it's a bit more lively)

4.  Macallan 18 year

5.  Claude Chatelier Cognac XO and Chateau de Laubade Armagnac XO are about even for me as well.

On the regular, I keep these on hand:

Glenfiddich 15 year
Chateau de Laubade VSOP Amagnac
Glenmorangie 12 year port aged
Maker's Mark
Claude Chatelier XO Cognac

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2010, 04:49:22 PM »

I don't drink liquor much, mostly bourbon, so I have a hard time finding 5.  But here goes:

1. Knob Hill (bourbon)
2. Elijah Craig (bourbon)
2. E&J VSOP (brandy) - I hear their cheaper "VS" brandy is terrible, this is a step up but I suspect there are better brandies to try if I educate myself.  I still like it.
4. Maker's Mark (bourbon).
5. Malibu Coconut rum.

I've had an excellent Scotch or two but I never remember the names.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Andrew
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2010, 07:41:55 PM »

2. E&J VSOP (brandy) - I hear their cheaper "VS" brandy is terrible, this is a step up but I suspect there are better brandies to try if I educate myself.  I still like it.

I cannot stand any of the E&J stuff.  Try to cognac's and armagnacs I mentioned.  They are just the "better" version of brandy.  Remy Martin VSOP cognac tends to be easy to find, not too expensive, and it's not bad - I'd consider it a good introduction.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2010, 02:49:35 PM »

I cannot stand any of the E&J stuff.  Try to cognac's and armagnacs I mentioned.  They are just the "better" version of brandy.  Remy Martin VSOP cognac tends to be easy to find, not too expensive, and it's not bad - I'd consider it a good introduction.

I appreciate your guidance.  I'm no hard liquor expert, except I know a little about bourbon.  I'm just so devoted to beer.  TongueOut

Andrew
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2010, 05:00:37 PM »

1. Knob Hill (bourbon)

Knob Hill or Knob Creek?  I kept looking at your list and something was bothering me, and it finally hit me what.  If it's Knob Creek, I can agree with it being on a short list of bourbon.  Jack Daniels single barrel can be quite good, and I like their 1904 Gold Medal and 1954 Gold Medal varieties.

If you can find the Chateau de Laubade VSOP or XO Amagnac, they are both excellent and not expensive by the standard.  Anyone I've introduced them to has always asked me to procure them a bottle from Beltway Fine Wines & Liquors.  Beltway is amazing.  Their one store near Fort Meade is almost the size of a small Home Depot, and filled with everything you could ever ask.  Quite a lot is wine and beer, of course.  One whole aisle is whisky, bourbon, and scotch.  I'm talking front to back of a large store.  They also have an excellent selection of port.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2010, 05:49:40 PM »

1. Knob Hill (bourbon)

Knob Hill or Knob Creek?  I kept looking at your list and something was bothering me, and it finally hit me what.  If it's Knob Creek, I can agree with it being on a short list of bourbon.  Jack Daniels single barrel can be quite good, and I like their 1904 Gold Medal and 1954 Gold Medal varieties.

If you can find the Chateau de Laubade VSOP or XO Amagnac, they are both excellent and not expensive by the standard.  Anyone I've introduced them to has always asked me to procure them a bottle from Beltway Fine Wines & Liquors.  Beltway is amazing.  Their one store near Fort Meade is almost the size of a small Home Depot, and filled with everything you could ever ask.  Quite a lot is wine and beer, of course.  One whole aisle is whisky, bourbon, and scotch.  I'm talking front to back of a large store.  They also have an excellent selection of port.

Knob Creek!  I was mixing up Knob Creek & Heaven Hill in my head. 

We have an excellent liquor store here in Louisville as well, which is unfortunately named "Liquor Barn."  They carry a wonderful selection of cheeses and other gourmet items, too.  Probably about the same size as Beltway.  My friends from Dallas were astounded to find such a word-class liquor store in such a small metro area.  But people here like to drink, ESPECIALLY bourbon. 

Had a glass of Woodford Reserve Distiller's Select bourbon last night and I have to say it's growing on me and could be top 5.

I also recently inherited a half-full bottle of Salignac V.S. cognac that I have not had a chance to sample yet.

Andrew
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2010, 01:34:21 PM »

You know who would have some good input for this thread?  CheezeFlixz!  He is the one who prompted me to give Maker's Mark another try, so I owe him a thanks for that.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2010, 01:37:25 PM »

You know who would have some good input for this thread?  CheezeFlixz!  He is the one who prompted me to give Maker's Mark another try, so I owe him a thanks for that.

Yes, but CheezeFlix puts coke in his Maker's Mark...

Andrew
Administrator

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2010, 08:26:37 PM »

Yes, but CheezeFlix puts coke in his Maker's Mark...

I do that with black label Jack Daniel's, but not Maker's Mark or any other whisky (or whiskey) that I consider sipping quality.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Top 5 Premium Liqour Thread « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.