Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 09:29:03 PM
714391 Posts in 53096 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Rate/Rank the Friday the 13th franchise. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Rate/Rank the Friday the 13th franchise.  (Read 8079 times)
diamondwaspvenom
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: July 21, 2010, 07:10:55 AM »

How would you rate or rank the most infamous horror franchise? Here's my opinion (*Note: I've only seen up to part VIII. After seeing various clips of the other installments on youtube, I've chosen to avoid the later sequels):

Friday the 13th part 2  4.5/5  Cheers
Friday the 13th           4.4/5  Cheers
Friday the 13th part 3  4.2/5  Cheers
The Final Chapter        4/5    Cheers

Jason Lives                3.9/5  Thumbup

The New Blood           3.7/5  Thumbup

A New Beginning         2/5     Thumbdown

Jason Takes Manhattan   Hatred Hatred Hatred

Any other opinions?
« Last Edit: July 21, 2010, 07:13:39 AM by diamondwaspvenom » Logged
akiratubo

« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2010, 11:02:41 AM »

Jason X
What can I say?  I love it.

Part 7
The best looking Jason, the best stuntman to play him, and his best foe.

Part 6
A fun little movie.

Part 4
The meanest and nastiest of the bunch.

Part 2
The only one with a story that really holds together.

Part 3
It's dumb as all get out but it means well.  Kind of like a dog who brings you the paper but slobbers all over it.

Part 5
I stop the movie before they reveal the "twist" and pretend it really was Jason.

Jason Takes Manhattan
This thing has so many problems (even for a Jason movie) that it's absurd.  But Kane Hodder and the female lead, at least, try so hard I can't bring myself to hate it.

Friday the 13th (1980)
Several of the murders play out like so: "Oh, it's you.  ARRRRRRGH!"  That gets on my nerves.  Then the murderer is a little old lady.  Cough.  Nice decapitation, though.

Jason Goes to Hell
Seriously, what the hell is this s**t?  It feels like a rejected idea for a Freddy movie.

Not ranked:

Friday the 13th (2009)
Basically, whenever Jason is around, it's good to varying degrees.  Whenever Jason is not around, it sucks like a black hole.

Freddy vs. Jason
Honestly, this movie is pretty much what I expected.  Unfortunately, I expected it to kind of suck.

Kneel before Dr. Hell, the ruler of this world!
Skull
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2010, 11:13:59 AM »

Friday the 13th part 2 is the best of the series!!! (also one of the better 1980's slasher films)

I'd often wonder how the franchise got started, the original Friday the 13th is quite boring and hard to watch except for the final 15 minutes of the film. The 3D effects is part 3 is silly, I remember watching part 3 in the drive-in and the yo-yo was comming towards us. Part 4 and 5 tries to play smart (and fails) and the others in the series realized that people were watching Friday the 13 for its sillyness and decided to go over the top... Jason is a zombie, Jason vs a Pscyic, Jason in New York, Jason is a demonic slug, Jason in space and many years from waiting Jason vs Freddy (although that movie fails).

Although I think the whole Friday the 13 franchise is much better then Halloween part 2, 4, 5, 6, etc, etc, etc. (I like Halloween and I love Halloween 3)

I have not got a chance to see the "remake" Friday the 13 (although I hardly would call it a remake when Jason isnt the killer in the first movie and he doesnt get his hockey mask until part 3)
« Last Edit: July 21, 2010, 11:17:57 AM by Skull » Logged
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2010, 01:07:07 PM »

Part 1 - 2/5.  Bad acting, didn't care if everybody died, seemed like they made it up as they went along.  Never established any atmosphere.

Part 2 - 5/5.  Great characters, fun cheesiness, good atmosphere.  My idea of the perfect slasher.

Part 3 - 4/5.  Totally '80s, which I loved.  The babe in the blue bikini was amazing as well.  The rest of the characters were pretty good, but it was a tad too cheesy.

Part 4 - 3/5.  The characters were blatant stereotypes, didn't care if they all died.  The little kid didn't belong in a Friday the 13th movie.  His older sister was by far the best part of the movie.

Part 5 - 4/5.  Loved the characters.  Interesting "plot", just a ton of fun.

Part 6 - 3.5/5.  It had some fun stuff in it, but the main story was pretty dull.

Part 7 - 4/5.  Jason vs. Carrie!  I've only seen it once, a long time ago.  I thought it was pretty enjoyable.

Part 8 - 2.5/5.  Horrible acting, horrible story, horrible locations.  And above all, incredibly stupid.  Still I find some charm in the crud.

Jason Goes to Hell - 1.5/5.  The only Friday movie I've ever turned off halfway through. 

Jason X - 5/5.  Really great characters, good atmosphere, fun as fun can be.  And it's sci-fi!  I love this movie.

Freddy vs. Jason - 1.5/5.  The characters were completely unlikable and the fights were like Wile E. Coyote vs. the Roadrunner.  Dumb. 

Remake - haven't seen it, don't plan to.

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2010, 01:58:16 PM »

Friday the 13th part 2 is the best of the series!!! (also one of the better 1980's slasher films)

I'd often wonder how the franchise got started, the original Friday the 13th is quite boring and hard to watch except for the final 15 minutes of the film. The 3D effects is part 3 is silly, I remember watching part 3 in the drive-in and the yo-yo was comming towards us. Part 4 and 5 tries to play smart (and fails) and the others in the series realized that people were watching Friday the 13 for its sillyness and decided to go over the top... Jason is a zombie, Jason vs a Pscyic, Jason in New York, Jason is a demonic slug, Jason in space and many years from waiting Jason vs Freddy (although that movie fails).

Although I think the whole Friday the 13 franchise is much better then Halloween part 2, 4, 5, 6, etc, etc, etc. (I like Halloween and I love Halloween 3)

I have not got a chance to see the "remake" Friday the 13 (although I hardly would call it a remake when Jason isnt the killer in the first movie and he doesnt get his hockey mask until part 3)

Good call. I've never understood how that franchise got so big based on that start.

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
Torgo

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2010, 06:04:10 PM »

(with a 4 star rating being perfect)

Part 1----***
Part 2----**
Part 3----**1/2
Part 4----***1/2
Part 5----*
Part 6----***
Part 7----**
Part 8----*1/2
Jason Goes to Hell----***
Jason X----*1/2
Freddy Vs. Jason----***
2009 remake-----***

"There is no way out of here. It'll be dark soon. There is no way out of here."
retrorussell
In the town of Valentine Bluffs, there are many ways to die. Take your pick.

Hanniger! I'll be waiting in HELL for you!

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2010, 08:34:14 PM »

One to Five stars for each (not necessarily an average movie rating, but just for movies of this series):

Part I: Three I guess.  It was okay.  Good effects, and I get to see Kevin Bacon die!
Part II: Three and a half.  A shade better, with a good heroine.
Part III: Two.  3D kinda looked hokey in this one (especially the super-fake eyeball popping scene).  Good performances by Jason and the lead girl.
Part IV: Four.  Great Jason and I get to see Crispin Glover die!  YES!!!
Part V: One.  Just awful.  Good gore but painful acting and no Jason.
Part VI: Five!  I loved the tongue-in-cheek approach.  Great blend of horror and humor.
Part VII: Four.  Hodder is definitely fun to watch, and I kinda liked the "Carrie vs. Jason" angle.  Too bad Susan Blu (ultra-famous cartoon voice actor) gets speared.
Part VIII: One and a half.  Jason takes Canada, not Manhattan!  Plus, the ending is really confusing.. what the hell happened?
Jason Goes To Hell: One.. if I could give it zero (or negative integers) I would.  Unbelievably stupid.. Jason's heart possesses people to kill??  And Erin Gray (the hottie from Silver Spoons) is Jason's sister??  F*** you movie!
Jason X: Two.  They tried too hard with the attempt at humor.  And the space angle was pretty dumb.  Some nice kills though, including the frozen face smash, and David Cronenberg gets javelined!
Freddy vs. Jason: Two.  Dumb, with some seriously stupid dialogue, but a good Ken Kirzinger performance as Jason and Robert Englund is awesome as usual.  Love the rave scene.
Remake: One.  Really bad.  Decent Jason but it's nearly impossible to wait until the kill scenes arrive.  Stupid characters that really deserve to die.  Ugh!

"O the legend they say, on a Valentine's Day, is a curse that'll live on and on.."
JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2010, 10:38:43 PM »

Ranking them by the order of what I liked best to what I liked least:

Part II - although I understand it rips off Bay of Blood
Part I - I actually was surprised by the ending as it wasn't what I expected.
Part VI - just loads of fun
Jason X - Jason in Space = fun stuff
Part III - the evolution of Jason
Part IV - continued
Part VII - the fun continues
Part V - pretty bad, just doesn't deliver what one wants
Part VIII - surprisingly boring
Jason Goes to Hell - can't get much worse
Freddy vs. Jason - yeah it kinda can

Haven't seen the remake.

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
StatCat
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2010, 01:05:17 AM »

first 4 I like, great old classic slasher fun, the rest I can do without

-----------------------------------------------------
Wear a suit and tie when I'd rather sit and die
Jim H

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2010, 02:08:28 PM »

Freddy VS Jason - 8/10
Part IV - 7/10
Jason Goes To Hell - 7/10
Part VI- 7/10
Jason X - 7/10
Part III - 7/10
Friday remake - 7/10
Part I - 6/10
Part II - 4/10
Part VII - 3/10
Part VIII - 1/10
Part V - 1/10 (that's what I rated it on the IMDB - I think I may need to rewatch it though)
Couchtr26

« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2010, 02:40:25 AM »

Part 1 - ** Boring, though I did like Kevin Bacon dying.  I didn't like the idea of the mother as the killer.  It didn't work for me and seemed out of place in a way. 

Part 2 - ? Watched but can't recall much off the top of my head. 

Part 3 - *** I used to like this one most growing up.  I think the gimmick got me when I was younger.  However, it seems slow. 

Part 4 - ? Hmm, drawing a blank on 4. 

Part 5 - *** Part 5, not a super huge fan.  It is alright for what it is but nowhere near my favorite in the series. 

Part 6 - **** I think this is actually my favorite at the moment.  There is something I like about the whole set up this time.  Can't describe but this one works the best for me.  Also, the lawn chair fold death is very nice.

Part 7 - ** It is alright but not much for me to like in this one.  Plus hate the telekinesis. 

Part 8 - ** Don't like and the attraction of Manhattan is limited in scope.  It should have been Jason in the Big City. 

Jason Goes to Hell - * Dull to me

Jason X - ** Don't like the setting.  Don't think it works as a sci-fi idea.  Stay in the woods dang it. 

Freddy Vs. Jason - ** Have not seen much.  Don't really like in many ways.

2009 remake - *** S'okay but tries too hard to capture a modern audience.  Everyone should know what is going on or they shouldn't be going to watch a Friday the 13th movie.   

Based on 5 stars. 

Ah, the good old days.
Russ Thorn
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2010, 10:51:02 PM »

Friday The 13th - Part 1: 8/10.

Friday The 13th - Part 2: 6/10.

Friday The 13th - Part 3: 7/10.

Friday The 13th - Part 4 - The Final Chapter: 8/10.

Friday The 13th - Part 5 - A New Beginning: 8/10 (Yes, 8/10 - don't care what u think).

Friday The 13th - Part 6 - Jason Lives: 8/10.

Friday The 13th - Part 7 - The New Blood: 8/10.

Friday The 13th - Part 8 - Jason Takes Manhattan: 7/10.

Jason Goes To Hell-The Final Friday: 5/10.

Jason X: 2/10.

Freddy Vs. Jason: 8/10.

Friday The 13th (2009): 8/10.
clockworkcanary
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2010, 02:51:39 PM »

Friday The 13th: well, once the angry soccer mom shows up, it's pretty entertaining.

Friday The 13th Part 2: my personal favorite. It's lean and mean. Jason as a feral hillbilly is probably at his scariest here.

Friday The 13th Part 3: the dullest, laziest one of the bunch.

Friday The 13th - Part 4 - The Final Chapter: Jason's totally p**sed in this one.

Friday The 13th - Part 5 - A New Beginning: well, it's got a high body count and high boob count, and I love Tommy's rage in this one. Tilt-a-whirl body slam for the win!

Friday The 13th - Part 6 - Jason Lives: the comedy one. Jason does some mean kills but overall it's a bit dull (though not as bad as 3).

Friday The 13th - Part 7 - The New Blood: Jason vs. a telekenetic. Worst ending so far (and that's saying something). Jason looks coolest (as a zombie) but seems to have higher intelligence than you'd expect from a feral hillbilly.

Friday The 13th - Part 8 - Jason Takes Manhattan: well, stuff happens in this one, but too bad it all sucks.

Jason Goes To Hell-The Final Friday: abomination. I can't even make it through this one

Jason X: goofy but actually entertaining. Jason kills more people in the first 5 minutes than he did in all of part 3.

Freddy Vs. Jason: a great comic book movie with the best elements of both series.

Friday The 13th (2009): a mediocre reboot. Jason himself is bad ass and the main dude is likeable enough. The rest deserved to die.

I hear the sequel was going to be Jason in the Winter time but last I heard, they've canceled plans on it.

Join us as we discuss all things schlock at Three Knock Theater podcast:

Facebook Group:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/197572800347267/

Youtube channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrLYkyXabfSwpcRQjhUMErQ
hedgie
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2010, 03:26:04 PM »

I had to go back and watch a few of these before I posted on this thread.  My memory was a little hazy on a few of them,
overall I was pleasantly surprised at the overall quality as compared to say the Halloween Texas chainsaw or Nightmare on Elm Street
series.

part VI - I saw this many many times on vhs when it was new, and it still holds up.  has some great kills and grim atmosphere.
This is really well executed, and paced. Best Jason performace mostly because he is undead and extremely dangerous.

part II - Until I saw this thread I was not aware of how revered this sequel is.  Watching it again I see why.It is a really well made film.

part I - Different from the sequels for obvious reasons, it is nonetheless a classic horror film because of atmosphere and suspense. 
Probably would still be a minor classic had no sequels been made.

part V - legitimately funny and some great kills despite not being Jason, a little confusing but still great entertainment. The idea for
the movie was pretty inventive. 

part VII -  a great concept that is well executed, solid if not spectacular, probably the final movie that holds up on its own.  Kane Hodder was a great Jason, but this is the only classic movie he was in perhaps.

part III -  a little bit slow and contrived because of the 3D, nonetheless it manages to be a an essential part of the series.

freddy vs. jason - lousy script is nonetheless redeemed by some great effects and action sequences.  Fun but mindless.  In retrospect it is essential because it might be Robert Englund's final Freddy performance?

part IV - not quite as good as I remember,  unlikable characters and odd pacing, redeemed mostly by superior special effects.Not a fan of the  director Zito. His film "The Prowler" has the same feel as this.  It is also a promising slasher derailed by unlikable characters.

the remake - not to bad compared to any of the other major franchise remakes.  Good Jason performance and kills, I would rather have had a
a true sequel, but it was good that they combined the first 3 movies to create a new film rather than rehash pt 1.

jason goes to hell - another one that was not as good as I remember.  I remember seeing it in the theatre at age 12
and it was genuinely scary.  Better script than freddy vs. Jason but not as well executed.

part VIII - much much worse than I remember.  Could have been so much better, something about it is just off. 

jason x - kind of misguided, muddled comedy, saw it in theatre the weekend it came out with friends who heckled it.  I remember
being angry because I wanted it to be good, and i couldn't really tell because of all the laughter going on around me. 
Wish I had laughed now that I look back at it.  No desire to watch it again for some reason.

Unlike all the other major American horror franchises, each of these movies, though not to everyone's taste is at least
watchable. 
10,000 Volt Ghost
Ancient Radiation
Bad Movie Lover

Ancient Radiation

« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2010, 03:42:59 PM »

Freddy vs Jason 10/10. By this time in both the series what else are you going to do with it.

It had some badness to it but the lines were amazing. I was crying I was laughing so hard when Freddy was like "Fire the torpedos" and then slashed a nitro tank that flew at Jason like an AL KABONG guitar shot if I've ever seen one. I waited a very long time for this to come out. If you get a chance read the re-writes in the scripts or the plotlines for the original scripts. They were much MUCH worse. The storyline for FvJ to me was pretty reasonable.

Friday the 13th was a really good actual horror movie. 8/10.

John Hancock
Pages: [1] 2 3
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Rate/Rank the Friday the 13th franchise. « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.