Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 07:17:40 AM
714463 Posts in 53097 Topics by 7743 Members
Latest Member: medikam
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  Need Some Music Suggestions « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Need Some Music Suggestions  (Read 3792 times)
dean
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: July 23, 2010, 08:44:13 AM »

Heya Gang!

Been getting on a bit of a southern rock-style binge lately, and figure I'll ask for some suggestions of bands/music/groups to chase up that may suit since the majority of users here seems to be of the American variety and may be in the know.

I need some suggestions!!!!!  To give you an idea of style, I guess the 'Dark Night' song in From Dusk Till Dawn or the theme song from True Blood [yeah they're both vampire shows/movies, but that's just coincidence, and is the kind of musical vibe I'm looking for!]

Since I don't know a whole lot about good bands in this genre, lay some suggestions on me as I'm interested and would like to know what may be a good group to listen for/good song etc that is along that sort of style.

Lay it on me!

------------The password will be: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
frank
Bad Movie Lover

"I'm a big boy now, Johnny."

« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2010, 08:53:15 AM »

Don't know the title song from true blood , but Dark Night reminds me of Bullet from Frank Black. Don't know too many other songs from him though...

......"Now toddle off and fly your flying machine."
Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2010, 09:33:08 AM »

I can't think of any off the top of my head, but I would suggest trying Pandora.com. It's a music service that let's you create a radio station based on an artist or song that you enter. For example, you could enter those two songs as the basis for a station and it will play music that fits that style or has the same sonic components. It's free to create a profile, but there are ads unless you upgrade and pay for the service. I don't mind the ads much, so I've never upgraded. Anyway, I'm sure you'll discover some more music in the same vain by using it.

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
dean

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2010, 09:45:20 AM »

I can't think of any off the top of my head, but I would suggest trying Pandora.com. It's a music service that let's you create a radio station based on an artist or song that you enter. For example, you could enter those two songs as the basis for a station and it will play music that fits that style or has the same sonic components. It's free to create a profile, but there are ads unless you upgrade and pay for the service. I don't mind the ads much, so I've never upgraded. Anyway, I'm sure you'll discover some more music in the same vain by using it.

Would love to use it, but due to region I am unable to access the good things in life like Hulu and Pandora etc, not being in the U.S.  Am open to getting sent a plane ticket so I can fly over and use it though?  Anyone?  Wink

Also thanks frank, shall check it and see if its up my alley!

------------The password will be: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
dean

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2010, 09:48:00 AM »

Also thanks frank, shall check it and see if its up my alley!

Whilst it isn't quite what I was after [more after the slower style, soulful country stuff] I still didn't mind the snippet I just listened to!  On the right track!

flackbait

The fate of the last door to door salesmen

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2010, 10:34:58 AM »

I might be barking up the wrong tree but you could try The Outlaws with their cover of Chostriders in the sky Green Grass and Hightides forever and Gunsmoke. Although I should warn you their all long songs.
Ghostriders in the sky
Small | Large

Green Grass and Hightides

Small | Large

Gunsmoke
Small | Large

Or you could try The Doors Roadhouse blues

Small | Large

I hope this helps, sorry if it doesn't.
Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2010, 11:20:02 AM »

Give Kentucky Headhunters a shot.

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2010, 12:03:34 PM »

That song sounds just like Creedence Clearwater Revival---I'm sure you thought of them. 

I recommend 16 Horsepower, The Alllan Brothers Band (you probably thought of them too), Drive-by Truckers, North Mississippi All Stars, Old 97s, for starters.

Small | Large

Small | Large

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Mofo Rising
Global Moderator

My cat can eat a whole watermelon!

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2010, 12:49:22 PM »

I'd check out the other band in From Dusk 'Til Dawn, Tito & Tarantula.

Gratuitous use of Salma Hayek in video below:
Small | Large

I can't speak for the rest of their music, but this single by the Wolfgang Press might work:

Small | Large

Grant Lee Buffalo is also pretty good, especially "Lone Star Song."

Small | Large

One last video suggestion, Jim White "Handcuffed to a Fence in Mississippi." (Excuse the fan video.)

Small | Large

Also, not really "Southern rock," but the band Morphine is an awful lot like the rest of these bands.

Every dead body that is not exterminated becomes one of them. It gets up and kills. The people it kills, get up and kill.
retrorussell
In the town of Valentine Bluffs, there are many ways to die. Take your pick.

Hanniger! I'll be waiting in HELL for you!

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2010, 02:49:01 PM »

Molly Hatchett-Flirtin' With Disaster

Allman Brothers Band-Midnight Rider
Small | Large

Heard It In A Love Song-Marshall Tucker Band
Small | Large

"O the legend they say, on a Valentine's Day, is a curse that'll live on and on.."
metalmonster
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2010, 04:27:22 PM »

The Song "DARK NIGHT" Is Sung By The Band THE BLASTERS

.......Anyway a Really Good "Southern Style" Hard Rock/metal Band To Try Is
NASHVILLE P***Y especially their song "go to hell"
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2010, 09:05:54 PM »

"Dark Night" sounds like SIMPLE MINDS which is rather removed from Southern Rock; how bout JAMES GANG (also well removed)? 

Small | Large

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  Need Some Music Suggestions « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.