Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 02:14:04 AM
714392 Posts in 53096 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  For $75, Would You Advertise This? « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: For $75, Would You Advertise This?  (Read 2348 times)
InformationGeek
Leader of the Friends' for Info
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Let's all be Friends.

« on: July 27, 2010, 09:45:05 PM »

So here I am, watching What Would You Do? on ABC and I saw this:

Small | Large

Small | Large

After watching it, I was shocked.  I would have stopped when the girl first started losing her hair.  I would think I'm smart enough to stop right there and others would as well, but seeing these people gives me doubt.  Please tell me you guys wouldn't do this!

We live in quite an interesting age. You can tell someone's sexual orientation and level of education from just their interests.
LilCerberus
A Very Bad Person, overweight bald guy with a missing tooth, and

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2010, 10:12:59 PM »

I once had a job as a product demonstrator for Pro-Sparkle, an overpriced glass cleaner & jewelry polish.

For $75 & a chance to be on TV, I'd write, produce, direct & star in the next ad for Santo Gold.

"Science Fiction & Nostalgia have become the same thing!" - T Bone Burnett
The world runs off money, even for those with a warped sense of what the world is.
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2010, 12:03:07 AM »

There's a word for people like this, but it's not polite.  I will say they're prostitutes.  Here's a few other words: Scumbags.  Turds.  Whores. 
That was sad.  InformationGeek, you deserve:  Thumbup

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
Jim H

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2010, 02:09:59 AM »

There's a word for people like this, but it's not polite.  I will say they're prostitutes.  Here's a few other words: Scumbags.  Turds.  Whores. 
That was sad.  InformationGeek, you deserve:  Thumbup

Please don't bad mouth the prostitutes.  They're physical laborers doing difficult and dangerous work, but outside of legal issues it's essentially honest.  :-P

But yeah, this is how a very large percentage of all people in any given population react to stuff like this.  Not saying I disagree with your assessment, but experiments like this always get results very similar to this.  A lot of this has to do with social conditioning and the ease with which people are manipulated rather than poor ethics.  And everyone who sees these things says that, of course, THEY wouldn't react this way.  And indeed, *some* people don't.  But a good chunk of people do (usually a significant majority of people in studies/tests like this).

I'm reminded of the Milgram experiment.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milgram_experiment

In particular, this theory related to it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Learned_helplessness

People think "Well, if I don't do it, someone else will, and they're just telling me what to do anyway...".

Possibly the best result of things like this is it can lead to greater psychological awareness.  Anyone who has read about these sorts of studies would, I should think, be less likely to go along with it.
Newt
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.

I want to be Ripley when I grow up.

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2010, 08:31:24 AM »

We watched that last night too, InfoGeek.  But I was not so much shocked as sickened.

No; I would not take their money and do that.  Personal integrity means far too much to me.  (I will admit that it has taken a good chunk of my lifetime to grow that backbone, however.)

"May I offer you a Peek Frean?" - Walter Bishop
"Thank you for appreciating my descent into deviant behavior, Mr. Reese." - Harold Finch
Newt
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.

I want to be Ripley when I grow up.

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2010, 08:35:10 AM »

Please don't bad mouth the prostitutes.  They're physical laborers doing difficult and dangerous work
While you're at it, please refer to them by the much more politically correct term: sex trade workers.

...but outside of legal issues it's essentially honest.  :-P
Honest?  BounceGiggle  You are too funny, JimH!

"May I offer you a Peek Frean?" - Walter Bishop
"Thank you for appreciating my descent into deviant behavior, Mr. Reese." - Harold Finch
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2010, 03:40:25 PM »

There's a word for people like this, but it's not polite.  I will say they're prostitutes.  Here's a few other words: Scumbags.  Turds.  Whores.  That was sad.  InformationGeek, you deserve:  Thumbup
But yeah, this is how a very large percentage of all people in any given population react to stuff like this.  Not saying I disagree with your assessment, but experiments like this always get results very similar to this.  A lot of this has to do with social conditioning and the ease with which people are manipulated rather than poor ethics.  And everyone who sees these things says that, of course, THEY wouldn't react this way.  And indeed, *some* people don't.  But a good chunk of people do (usually a significant majority of people in studies/tests like this).
Well, I've always been an iconoclastic dissenter.   Wink
Please note these people responded to an ad offering $75... how many people saw the ad and had zero interest in the money?  Hmm?  If they were offering $7500 I could almost understand it; however, no one could ever offer me enough money to lie and make a permanent record of it.   Hatred

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
3mnkids

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2010, 05:40:25 PM »

Some people will do anything for money. Its disgusting. Was this the same show that had the actors playing polygamist to see what strangers would say to them or something like that? I turned it off as soon as they got the actors all dressed up... roughly two minutes in   TeddyR  I hate television.

There's no worse feeling than that millisecond you're sure you are going to die after leaning your chair back a little too far~ ruminations
InformationGeek
Leader of the Friends' for Info
B-Movie Site Webmaster

Let's all be Friends.

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2010, 05:53:16 PM »

Some people will do anything for money. Its disgusting. Was this the same show that had the actors playing polygamist to see what strangers would say to them or something like that? I turned it off as soon as they got the actors all dressed up... roughly two minutes in   TeddyR  I hate television.

Yes, this is the same show.

I personally like the show because it makes me think.  What would I do if I was in the situation and makes me realize certian things when I truly think about myself, whether they good or bad. 

I think the show is pretty good and my favorite one and the one that I found most shocking was when they had 2 groups of kids vandalize a car.  One group was black and the other was white.  Horrifingly enough, only 3 people either called or confronted the white group of kids about their destruction.  There were 2 other calls to 911 though during their part, but for reasons that would surprise you.

Small | Large

We live in quite an interesting age. You can tell someone's sexual orientation and level of education from just their interests.
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2010, 09:37:26 PM »

There is a somewhat hopeful message buried inside that lesson.  The psychologist they interviewed mentioned that individuals in mobs will not trust their own judgment and Will instead wait for a leader.  If one of those people had stood up and said "this is wrong, I'm leaving," it's a good bet that the others would have followed.   

What this means for us is that if we ever find ourselves in a similar situation and need the courage to do the right thing, we should reflect on the fact that other people are almost certainly looking for someone else to take the first step, too.  If we do the right thing, they will follow.   

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Andrew
Administrator

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2010, 10:49:43 PM »

What this means for us is that if we ever find ourselves in a similar situation and need the courage to do the right thing, we should reflect on the fact that other people are almost certainly looking for someone else to take the first step, too.  If we do the right thing, they will follow.   

All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing - Edmund Burke. 

I think of this quote quite often.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
judge death
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2010, 11:14:20 PM »

I have some mixed felings here.

On one hand, people who'd advertise this stuff without knowing anything about it and make claims they knew were false, like the money back guarantee, are scumbags.

On the other, people who buy stuff based on infomercials are idiots.

The Gravekeeper
addicted to the macabre
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2010, 12:32:36 AM »

You know what's scary? This isn't the first experiment about this kind of thing. I seem to recall one that, by today's standards, is unethical. The participants were told that they were helping out with an experiment to improve another person's memory by giving them an electric shock every time they got something wrong. The shocks would become more intense with every failure. Or so they thought. There wasn't actually another person there getting the shocks, but after a certain point there'd be screams of pain every time they "shocked" to other person and eventually the "person" would start begging for mercy.

Most of the participants in the experiment kept right on shocking the person they thought was there even though they were free to leave any time they wanted. These were just ordinary, everyday people, too. Scary, isn't it?

Rev. Powell: That's exactly right. And that's exactly how Hitler managed to turn perfectly normal people in monsters who had no problems with indirectly murdering their neighbours. If only people would turn that bit of human psychology toward some good on such a large scale we'd see some major changes for the better in the world.
Jim H

« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2010, 03:12:03 AM »

You know what's scary? This isn't the first experiment about this kind of thing. I seem to recall one that, by today's standards, is unethical. The participants were told that they were helping out with an experiment to improve another person's memory by giving them an electric shock every time they got something wrong. The shocks would become more intense with every failure. Or so they thought. There wasn't actually another person there getting the shocks, but after a certain point there'd be screams of pain every time they "shocked" to other person and eventually the "person" would start begging for mercy.

Most of the participants in the experiment kept right on shocking the person they thought was there even though they were free to leave any time they wanted. These were just ordinary, everyday people, too. Scary, isn't it?

Yeah, you're referring to the Milgram Experiment I mentioned (but didn't summarize, which I probably should have) above.

Deciding that wasn't unethical enough, it was eventually redone elsewhere with real shocks to puppies (no joke), and yielded much the same result.
judge death
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2010, 11:49:11 PM »

Yeah, you're referring to the Milgram Experiment I mentioned (but didn't summarize, which I probably should have) above.

Deciding that wasn't unethical enough, it was eventually redone elsewhere with real shocks to puppies (no joke), and yielded much the same result.

Who did that? I'd like to see how he reacted to a taser to the scrotum.
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  For $75, Would You Advertise This? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.