Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 03:55:10 AM
714463 Posts in 53097 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  My parents put down one of the dogs. :( « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: My parents put down one of the dogs. :(  (Read 3476 times)
BTM
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: July 31, 2010, 10:32:36 PM »

Yesterday my parents took Buttons, one of their Shi-tzus to the vet and had her put to sleep.  She had been getting up in years and hadn't been doing so great the past few months.  Her moments were getting slower, she was going death and blind, and spent most of her days sleeping.  Then mom said the last three days she'd quit eating, and wouldn't even take something is she had put it in Button's mouth.  I saw her the day before and she was very thin and breathing heavy.  

She was a good dog, she liked to sleep the end of my bed during the day (when I worked nights while living with my parents) and although she wasn't the friendliest to strangers, she was always nice to me.  I'll miss her.

Anyway, I managed to dig up a photo of her, it's several months old, but I think it capture her very well.

« Last Edit: August 01, 2010, 02:03:10 AM by BTM » Logged

"Some people mature, some just get older." -Andrew Vachss
flackbait

The fate of the last door to door salesmen

« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2010, 12:55:03 AM »

Sorry to hear about that, Its always hard to lose a dog. They always seem to go when you least expect them to. I hope you feel better soon.
Joe the Destroyer
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2010, 03:36:42 AM »

Bluesad

I'm sorry, BTM.  I had my cat put down not too long ago.  It's always painful.  My condolences.
judge death
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2010, 04:39:43 AM »

There's only one thing to do: Go adopt a dog from an animal shelter.
Silverlady
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2010, 08:12:19 AM »

Sorry to hear your news, BTM.  With time, you will feel better.  But remember ... she'll always be with you because you carry her in your heart.

Hold onto your dreams ....
Raffine

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2010, 08:22:36 AM »

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.
There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.
There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.
The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...

If you're an Andy Milligan fan there's no hope for you.
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2010, 09:14:39 AM »

Yeah, not easy. We put down our 12-year-old Brittany Spaniel a couple of weeks ago. He'd been slipping for a while, and we knew we'd have to do it sooner or later. I got the job of driving him to the vet. Stopped at a deli and bought him a big slab of roast beef for the drive. He was so happy. He's been on a very strict diet. Our vet was on vacation, so I took him into the city, to a larger clinic where they actually had a comfortable little room for the purpose. We had some time alone together, both before and after. Honestly, he's been so listless and out of it lately, it was hard to tell the difference with him just lying there glassy eyed. I took off his collar, positioned him nicely, shut his eyes and left. Odd that the strong emotional reaction didn't come until I'd driven a few blocks. He was my pal, although he hadn't been the same dog for some time.

The worst part was Ro's reaction. She was very sad when it was time to take him, and we couldn't explain that Briar was completely unaware of what was happening and not scared at all. And then there were the follow-up questions I had hoped not to have to deal with yet. When it came to deciding who takes the dog and who stays with the kid, I got the easy one.

But we were expecting to do this, and we'd gotten a Sheltie puppy about a year ago. He's made for an easier adjustment.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2010, 10:18:01 AM »

Sorry to hear about that BTM.  That time is coming soon for my parent's 13-year old bichon.  I've known that dog since she was a puppy, visit once or twice a week, and have dog-sat for her many a weekend.  Every time I see her now I think it may be the last time.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Andrew
Administrator

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2010, 10:21:52 AM »

I am sorry about Buttons.  I always remember my last dog, Zeus.  He died on my birthday after we played ball together.  Our animal friends are given less time on Earth than we, and it's always hard to say goodbye, but maybe knowing and loosing them helps us to appreciate life a little more.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2010, 11:54:18 AM »

BTM, Joe, AndyC, I know what it's like, too.  My heart goes out to you all. 

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
Newt
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.

I want to be Ripley when I grow up.

« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2010, 01:35:13 PM »

I'm so sorry to hear that, BTM.  Dogs are the best.  Buttons had a wonderful life and was well loved: who could ask for more? 

"May I offer you a Peek Frean?" - Walter Bishop
"Thank you for appreciating my descent into deviant behavior, Mr. Reese." - Harold Finch
trekgeezer

We're all just victims of circumstance

« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2010, 05:22:46 PM »

Went through this myself last year.  It's always tough and I feel for you and the family, it takes a while to get used to their absence.

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
BTM

« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2010, 08:52:20 PM »

There's only one thing to do: Go adopt a dog from an animal shelter.

Well, actually, my parents had gotten another dog about a month ago, an Olde English Boxer (opps, Bulldog) they've named Maggie May.  

She's now twice as big as you see in this photo.  She's a lot different than the shi-tzus (they have another Shi-tzu, a male named Bailey who's the first dog they adopted while I was living with them).  For starters she's a lot more "playful", although sometimes that playing involves light biting.  She likes to play and chew on shoe laces and whatnot.  I'm slightly concerned though, I don't think my parents have been training her and I get the feeling that when she gets fully grown it could turn into a real problem.  

It's funny, she keeps "playing" with Bailey, but I don't think he likes it too much.  She'll "chew" on him a bit, and sometimes even SIT on him, like he's a footstool.  I dunno if it's just play in her mind, or her way of establishing herself as the new alpha (or maybe both).

On a side note, in my parents backyard they have a lot of landscaping and whatnot, including an area with several lawn statues and several large round stones.  Two of the statues are Shi-Tzus, one my mom painted black to look like Bailey, and the other an off-white/brownish color to look like Buttons (she did a good job of it too, the resemblance is uncanny.)  After they put Buttons to sleep, they took her body home and buried her underneath "her" statue.  

I appreciate everyone's kind words.  It's funny though, I'm not quite as upset as I thought I'd be.  Maybe it's because I moved out of the house over two years ago and have only seen the dogs like every other week or so at the most when I'd come to visit.  Or maybe it's cause of her declining health, we were kind of expecting this.  Or maybe it just hasn't "hit me" yet, I dunno.  Still, I thank you all.

Despite all this though, I still wish I could get a pet.  Not sure if I'd go with a cat or a dog, but sadly, they don't allow pets at the apartment complex.  Well, actually, you could get some fish or a bird, but you have to pay a $150 pet deposit first.  I mean, WTF?  Fish I can understand, I mean, the aquarium breaks you've got water everywhere, but how much damage could a bird do?

(shrugs)
« Last Edit: August 02, 2010, 09:35:10 AM by BTM » Logged

"Some people mature, some just get older." -Andrew Vachss
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2010, 09:28:58 PM »

... how much damage could a bird do?

(shrugs)

You'd be surprised...

Small | Large

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
judge death
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2010, 09:40:35 PM »

I can't believe you passed on a set up to show a pic from "The giant claw".... Lookingup
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  My parents put down one of the dogs. :( « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.