Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 02:42:12 PM
714408 Posts in 53097 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  EARTHQUAKE (1974) « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: EARTHQUAKE (1974)  (Read 5632 times)
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« on: July 31, 2010, 10:48:49 PM »

EARTHQUAKE (1974)
I've been watching this on Youtube since spotting Lester's thread on MARJOE GORTNER whom I always remember playing the creep in this flick, and his own hair was supposed to be a wig...  and I'm enjoying all of it, GENEVIEVE BUJOLD, CHARLTON HESTON, LORNE GREENE, GEORGE KENNEDY, and uncredited WALTER MATTHAU as the drunk in the bar... it's been a long time since I've seen this film, but I did see it in the theater when it was brand new... now, with it's '70s fashions, familiar faces, typical melodrama, and cool effects, this is a real box of bonbons.   TeddyR  
Small | Large
« Last Edit: July 31, 2010, 11:00:28 PM by Allhallowsday » Logged

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
Raffine
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2010, 07:36:31 AM »

Seeing EARTHQUAKE back in '74 was a major event for this tot. We even saw it at a fancy big city theater with the SENSURROUND effects. I think it was Michael Weldon who said "SENSURROUND sounded and felt like a giant vacuum cleaner being turned on". It was guaranteed to annoy the folks in the next theater trying to watch THE GREAT GATSBY or THE GODFATHER, PART II.

That about sums it up, but, heck, it all WAS cool...

If you're an Andy Milligan fan there's no hope for you.
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2010, 05:30:21 PM »

Seeing EARTHQUAKE back in '74 was a major event for this tot. We even saw it at a fancy big city theater with the SENSURROUND effects. I think it was Michael Weldon who said "SENSURROUND sounded and felt like a giant vacuum cleaner being turned on". It was guaranteed to annoy the folks in the next theater trying to watch THE GREAT GATSBY or THE GODFATHER, PART II.

That about sums it up, but, heck, it all WAS cool...

I remember getting all excited about seeing it in sensurround . . . and then being sort of disappointed.  I guess I was expecting the theater to start crumbling around me or something, but all I got was a lot of noise and some vibration.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
claws
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2010, 11:37:23 PM »

I love this movie because to me it is hilarious for all the wrong reasons.

Like, I'm always stunned how Victoria Principal's gigantic fro made it through the quake without collapsing  BounceGiggle
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2010, 06:21:39 AM »

I think I saw this in SENSURROUND too, but wasn't terribly impressed.  The movie is a classic though.  I forgot about Victoria Principal in an afro, I'll have to watch it again sometime just for that! 

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
Skull
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2010, 08:30:50 AM »

Earthquake is a good movie?
The Burgomaster

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2010, 11:30:27 AM »

No, but it's a deliciously ridiculous icon of the 1970s.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Hammock Rider

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2010, 12:05:05 PM »

I'm a sucker for these over-blown, melodramatic 70's disaster movies. Charlton Heston, George Kennedy Thumbup & Walter Matthau are icing on the cake and I think that was Cleavon Little as the motorcycle stunt guy. Some day I'm gonna have me a marathon with this, Towering Inferno and one of the Airport movies.

Jumping Kings and Making Haste Ain't my Cup of Meat
Texdar
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2010, 03:24:04 PM »

This always reminds me of the joke that went around during elementary school.  What do you get if you crossed Earthquake with The Towering Inferno?  Shake and bake!

I bent my wookie!
The Burgomaster

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2010, 04:44:59 PM »

I'm a sucker for these over-blown, melodramatic 70's disaster movies. Charlton Heston, George Kennedy Thumbup & Walter Matthau are icing on the cake and I think that was Cleavon Little as the motorcycle stunt guy. Some day I'm gonna have me a marathon with this, Towering Inferno and one of the Airport movies.

Don't forget WHEN TIME RAN OUT, with Paul Newman, Ernest Borgnine, Red Buttons, Pat Morita, Edward Albert, James Franciscus, Burgess Meredith, William Holden, Jacqueline Bissett . . . the list is endless!

Raffine

« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2010, 07:49:33 PM »

Some day I'm gonna have me a marathon with this, Towering Inferno and one of the Airport movies.

Might I suggest: AIRPORT 75?

The original AIRPORT was a fairly serious-minded movie where the 75 sequel was a b-movie fun fest!

Poor Karen Black has to fly that big ol' plane all by her itty-bitty self!

Small | Large

And get a load of the cast:

Charlton Heston as Alan Murdock
Karen Black as Nancy Pryor
George Kennedy as Joe Patroni
Efrem Zimbalist, Jr. as Captain Stacy
Susan Clark as Mrs. Patroni
Gloria Swanson as Herself
Martha Scott as Sister Beatrice
Helen Reddy as Sister Ruth
Guy Stockwell as Col. Moss
Jerry Stiller as Sam
Roy Thinnes as First Officer Urias
Erik Estrada as Flight Engineer Julio
Dana Andrews as Scott Freeman
Sid Caesar as Barney
Linda Blair as Janice Abbott
Nancy Olson as Mrs. Abbott
Ed Nelson as Maj. Alexander
Beverly Garland as Mrs. Freeman
Myrna Loy as Mrs. Devaney
Linda Harrison as Winnie (credited as Augusta Summerland)
Sharon Gless as Stewardess Sharon
Christopher Norris as Stewardess Bette

Whatever happened to the lovely Christopher Norris..?

Swamp Thing
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2010, 02:53:32 AM »

I can't wait for the day they remake this with a 200 million dollar budget! Forget the homeless, give me 200 million dollar disaster movies like 2012!

But yeah I can also see Roland Emmerich getting his greasy paws on the rights and having his 'drama' scenes added in to the plot. Yay!!!

Abby Arcane: Is there a Mrs. Swamp Thing?
Swamp Thing: No, I'm a bachelor.
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2010, 12:53:31 PM »

No, but it's a deliciously ridiculous icon of the 1970s.
I considered carefully where exactly this film belongs;  I decided "good" because it is entertaining; it's never boring.  It isn't badly made, but it may have been badly conceived...  Wink

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
The Burgomaster

« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2010, 01:47:19 PM »

One of my favorite parts is the "leaping out of the path of the runaway house" scene around the 5:20 mark . . .

Small | Large

Raffine

« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2010, 04:45:43 PM »

One of my favorite parts is the "leaping out of the path of the runaway house" scene around the 5:20 mark . . .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XrqTuyZROao&feature=related

Check out the 'blood' at 7:33.

Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  EARTHQUAKE (1974) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.