Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 05:57:16 AM
712927 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Pros & Novices  |  Screenplay Software « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Screenplay Software  (Read 15911 times)
Flick James
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« on: August 10, 2010, 10:47:11 PM »

My wife used to work for a couple of agencies in Hollywood and knows a few people who could potentially get us solicited. We also have an idea for a psychological thriller we think is pretty solid. The problem is, neither of us have ever written a screeplay. What software do you recommend that is simple to use? Cost is not am enormous issue, but we'd prefer not to spend needlessly, but it has to look professional. Any input would be appreciated.

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2010, 10:25:06 AM »

Microsoft Word.  Smile In all seriousness, I think a google search will bring up some free templates that will help you put the screenplay in the proper format.  I've never heard of anyone using special software to write a script, though I'm sure one exists.  IMO you'd be better off spending the money you would have spent on software on a couple of books about screenwriting.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2010, 04:19:11 PM »

Thanks Rev. I already have a decent book on the process, and it does help with the conceptualization and outlining phases, that kind of thing, and I'm not lazy about that. I'm just lazy about the formatting. BounceGiggle

Anyway, there are programs out there that a simple Google search reveals:
Final Draft
Montage
Movie Magic Screenwriter

I just figured if anyone here has used any of those or others they might offer some guidance. I get some useful information from this site as well as debates.  TeddyR

Vik
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2010, 06:43:48 AM »

I write screenplays myself and I highly recommend CeltX. It's a totally free program, it works perfectly and helps you write in professional format. It's a lot better then Microsoft Word.
You can download it here: http://celtx.com/
And instead of buying books on screenwriting, I recommend you just read a lot of good screenplays, I learned a lot from that. You can get a whole bunch on this website: http://www.imsdb.com/ And if you don't find it there you'll be able to find it using Google. But if you want a book on screenwriting, I heard Syd Field has written good books on the subject.
 Cheers
Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2010, 10:26:19 AM »

I write screenplays myself and I highly recommend CeltX. It's a totally free program, it works perfectly and helps you write in professional format. It's a lot better then Microsoft Word.
You can download it here: http://celtx.com/
And instead of buying books on screenwriting, I recommend you just read a lot of good screenplays, I learned a lot from that. You can get a whole bunch on this website: http://www.imsdb.com/ And if you don't find it there you'll be able to find it using Google. But if you want a book on screenwriting, I heard Syd Field has written good books on the subject.
 Cheers

Thanks for the tip, and the link. I hadn't really done any research on how to find scripts yet, but I was already thinking that reading some good scripts would be a huge help.

Jim H

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2010, 12:49:32 AM »

Microsoft Word.  Smile In all seriousness, I think a google search will bring up some free templates that will help you put the screenplay in the proper format.  I've never heard of anyone using special software to write a script, though I'm sure one exists.  IMO you'd be better off spending the money you would have spent on software on a couple of books about screenwriting.

It's surprisingly annoying doing the formatting in Word or similar programs.  At least, it was for me.  Doing that felt harder than doing it on a typewriter would be.

Final Draft is probably the most widely used piece of specialized software - I find it quite useful.  I'll have to try out CeltX though.
Skull
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2010, 02:08:27 PM »

I'm using the Microsoft Word template... its ok and many of the features are accessed by hitting "enter" such as (character to dialogue) although the template does require you to manuaver the mouse around, maybe because I'm using MSWord 2000.

I've tried CeltX but it feels too alien at times, maybe I'm very comfortable with Word.

I do believe CeltX has a better formating system then Word.  You can upload MSWord documents on CeltX. I do remember thinking 2 years ago about using CeltX as a final, final.
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2010, 11:27:48 AM »

I have an older version of FINAL DRAFT and it's great.  It has a database of names in case you can't think of a name for your character, plus a "voice" feature where you can listen to a computerized voice read your screenplay.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
JayJayM12
Regulary relieves himself on hospitality...
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2011, 04:14:50 PM »

I'm late to the game, but I also highly recommend Final Draft.  Another great feature is that it is compatible with several screenwriting programs available for the IPAD, so I can work on a script on the go OR at home and never miss a beat.  It's a VERY easy program to use once you get used to it.  A bit pricey perhaps, but I find it to be worth it...

Check out my movie reviews and articles at:  www.cinedump.com<br /><br />Or, don\\\'t check them out - see if I care.  You\\\'re not my real mom anyway.  Unless, you are.  In which case, whatever, I\\\'ll do what I want.  It\\\'s my hot body.  Y\\\'all don\\\'t know me.
Zombies 2012
New Visitor

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2011, 09:57:43 AM »

I can only say Final Draft is well worth the money.  If you are a student, even for one class, you can buy the educational version for $99.
ulthar

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2011, 12:01:22 PM »

Another vote for Celtx for me.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
akiratubo

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2011, 01:11:38 PM »

Celtx

Kneel before Dr. Hell, the ruler of this world!
SPazzo

My kinda toy...

« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2011, 07:28:51 PM »

Yeah, Celtx is good! Thumbup
Criswell
i got better
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2011, 06:36:20 PM »

Celtx is great. Its so good it shouldn't be free.

Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Pros & Novices  |  Screenplay Software « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.