Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 10:31:05 PM
714392 Posts in 53096 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Apparently zombies were around in 1873...... « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Apparently zombies were around in 1873......  (Read 3235 times)
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« on: August 20, 2010, 01:22:03 AM »

I've been re-reading Alistair MacLean's Breakheart Pass and at one point, he says:

.....he was gloomily attempting the impossible task of polishing a sadly cracked and chipped glass, his ultra-slow movements those of an arthritic zombie......

Yikes.........  Buggedout Buggedout Wink

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Joe the Destroyer
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2010, 02:17:49 AM »

Arthritic zombies, eh?  Do they forsake slow moving humans and converge on a bottle of aspirin?
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2010, 03:24:50 AM »

Arthritic zombies, eh?  Do they forsake slow moving humans and converge on a bottle of aspirin?

BounceGiggle BounceGiggle Thumbup

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
The Gravekeeper
addicted to the macabre
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2010, 08:04:33 AM »

Well, it's nice to know that I can escape some zombies by simply standing at the top of a flight of stairs.
Flick James
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2010, 10:01:24 AM »

Zombies are part of folklore. In the old days, zombies were reanimiated corpses, at first by supernatural means, and then, as science became more prevalent, by the stereotypical "mad scientist." They were isolated monsters, not widespread epidemics taking over the world. But the mad scientist creating a zombie was the transition between the supernaturally created zombie of folklore and the armies of zombies created by some manmade toxic substance or disease, or even extraterrestrial. I saw a really bad zombie flick once where the zombie disease came from a meteor.

George Romero's Night of the Living Dead created the modern day zombie genre, where hoards of zomies create an apocolypse. That was also the film that set the notion of zombies not being supernatural but the result of something manmade. The modern zombie is a metaphor for humanity trying to play God with science. Essentially, today's zombie genre is just Frankenstein on a global scale.

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
Jim H

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2010, 01:03:24 AM »

It's more weird that the term ZOMBIE was used than that an animated walking corpse was around.  I don't believe the term was widely used in English until a good while into the 20th century.
Mr_Vindictive

By Sword. By Pick. By Axe. Bye Bye.

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2010, 07:24:40 AM »

It's more weird that the term ZOMBIE was used than that an animated walking corpse was around.  I don't believe the term was widely used in English until a good while into the 20th century.

I was actually just reading about this recently.  The idea of the Zombie, didn't reach our shores in it's somewhat-current form until the 1920s.  Before that, the "zombie" was known as a apparition, a harbinger of things to come.  It was an omen, anything strange or unsettling was known to be "zombie".  As America's interest in Haiti grew in the early 1900s, people began to truly explore the island.  Thats when the voodoo zombie mythos started for America.

A bald man named Savalas visited me last night in a dream.  I think it was a Telly vision.
Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2010, 11:32:20 AM »

I was actually just reading about this recently.  The idea of the Zombie, didn't reach our shores in it's somewhat-current form until the 1920s.  Before that, the "zombie" was known as a apparition, a harbinger of things to come.  It was an omen, anything strange or unsettling was known to be "zombie".  As America's interest in Haiti grew in the early 1900s, people began to truly explore the island.  Thats when the voodoo zombie mythos started for America.

You know, you're right. I felt certain that zombies were a part of European. I wonder what creature I'm thinking of that I'm confusing zombies with.

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
Umaril The Unfeathered

Pelinal na vasha, racuvar! Sa yando tyavoy nagaia!

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2010, 12:44:32 PM »

George Romero's Night of the Living Dead created the modern day zombie genre, where hoards of zomies create an apocolypse. That was also the film that set the notion of zombies not being supernatural but the result of something manmade. The modern zombie is a metaphor for humanity trying to play God with science. Essentially, today's zombie genre is just Frankenstein on a global scale.

Great point, mate Thumbup

The older, pre-NOTLD films had zombies as slaves of a mad doctor, like in Creature With The Atom Brain or Face of Marble  and such.  Also, the old voodoo movies of the 30's and 40's portrayed them as servants of those who practiced black magic.

Also, both types of films were tied together by the fact that the zombies were used for revenge, or personal gain of their masters, or both.

Romero totally shattered these notions with his portrayal:  

They were man made, like their predecessors, but on a vastly different set of circumstances.  Also, they were uncontrollabale,  refused to submit to verbal
command, and capable of their own free movement.  And they were also capable
of their own acts of violence.  This set them greatly apart from the previous visions.

Tam-Riel na nou Sancremath.
Dawn's Beauty is our shining home.

An varlais, nou bala, an kynd, nou latta.
The stars are our power, the sky is our light.

Malatu na nou karan.
Truth is our armor.

Malatu na bala
Truth is power.

Heca, Pellani! Agabaiyane Ehlnadaya!
Be gone, outsiders! I do not fear your mortal gods!

Auri-El na nou ata, ye A, Umaril, an Aran!
Aure-El is our father, and I, Umaril, the king!
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2010, 01:43:08 PM »

You know, you're right. I felt certain that zombies were a part of European. I wonder what creature I'm thinking of that I'm confusing zombies with.

Accountants?

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Sleepyskull

Well,well,well...

« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2010, 03:44:15 PM »

I just found this on StumbleUpon a few minutes ago.

Humanity takes itself too seriously. It is the world`s original sin. - Oscar Wilde
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Apparently zombies were around in 1873...... « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.