Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 02:46:42 PM
714409 Posts in 53097 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  FRED ALMOST MADE ME CRY THIS TIME . . . « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: FRED ALMOST MADE ME CRY THIS TIME . . .  (Read 4492 times)
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« on: August 31, 2010, 11:13:37 PM »

I don't always agree with Fred Reed, but I always enjoy his blog.  But this entry made me very, very sad.  Our children will never have the experience of growing up with the personal liberty and innocence he describes here . . .

http://www.fredoneverything.net/KingGeorge2.shtml

O America, what have we become?

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
ulthar
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2010, 07:01:39 AM »

Beautiful.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
dean

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2010, 07:31:13 AM »

Wow, you guys need supervision to swim ANYWHERE?  [that's what I'm getting from that, I doubt that its as hard-line as that.]

Time's certainly are a changin'!  Just imagine: I'll probably be telling kids of the time 'back in the day' when the internet wasn't regulated...  Wink

------------The password will be: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
Hammock Rider

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2010, 08:50:20 AM »

Wow, that was a good blog post. My brother, who has two young daughters, and I were just talking about this a few days ago. For us city kids it was bikes instead of canoes. We left the house after a breakfast, took off on our bikes and came back around dark because we were hungry.
   I think all this excessive supervision is bad for the parents as well as the kids. When we took off on our little Goonie adventures my mom was able to get some housework done and still play cards with her friends or just hang out and b.s.

Thanks Indiana.

Jumping Kings and Making Haste Ain't my Cup of Meat
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2010, 09:21:53 AM »

Well, I grew up during a war in the then Rhodesia in the 1960s and 1970s and I also went to school at a time where it was not uncommon for kids to come to classes with pistols or revolvers in their bags, given to them by their parents for self protection. Indeed, my Dad's favourite thing was to unload his 9mm Uzi and hand it to me to carry, adding that I should go and scare the crap out of the neighbours, which I duly did.  TeddyR

There was security but no overbearing supervision even during those terrible times ~ very unlike today where you have to know 24/7 where everyone is.

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2010, 09:30:24 AM »

When we took off on our little Goonie adventures

Did you tell the housekeeper about which drugs should go where?  Wink TeddyR

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2010, 09:52:09 AM »

Wow, that was a good blog post. My brother, who has two young daughters, and I were just talking about this a few days ago. For us city kids it was bikes instead of canoes. We left the house after a breakfast, took off on our bikes and came back around dark because we were hungry.
   I think all this excessive supervision is bad for the parents as well as the kids. When we took off on our little Goonie adventures my mom was able to get some housework done and still play cards with her friends or just hang out and b.s.

Thanks Indiana.

Same here. For two years there was my trio that would spend our entire day riding our bikes everywhere. Some of the stupid s**t we pulled from time to time on our bikes makes me marvel one of us didn't suffer any broken bones, just lots of skin abrasions and bruises. 

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2010, 09:56:03 AM »

I like Fred Reed. I really need to re up my subscription to American conservative. I am alot more libertarian than right wing but I like Amcon alot better than Reason.
Jim H

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2010, 12:17:16 PM »

Well, I will say that in rural areas you do still see teenagers with guns blowing cans away unsupervised.  Probably not as common as it was back in his day, but in the more rural areas a lot of that kind of stuff is still very much a "who cares" sort of thing.  I think that in general a lot of the rural south is still much like he described.  It's just the more suburban and urban areas that have gotten so far from that.  From personal experience, the amount of police presence in many smaller suburban cities is truly ludicrous and excessive, as one example. 

I'd agree that a lot of the stuff hovering parents and society do in the end does more harm than good. 
The Gravekeeper
addicted to the macabre
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2010, 06:18:48 PM »

I did see a lot of that during the time I spent in a small, rural town. In the suburbs and the city, I noticed something. Kids there just didn't seem to be as down-to-earth as the country kids. I'm not saying that city kids are stupid, but well...part of the curriculum out in the country was dedicated to teaching kids about the potential consequences of various actions. Stuff like the fact that you could drown if you try to cross a frozen body of water that hasn't been declared safe. In the city, the dangers were presented as abstract ideas and we were never given rational reasons about why some things are a bad idea (instead of them saying "gangs are bad," they could have said "if you join a gang you're actually much more likely to get shot over something you may not have done as a warning to the rest of the gang/retaliation for something someone else in the gang did.")

Sure, bad stuff still happened out in the country, but I don't think it happened as often because kids were taught to actually look after themselves and they knew more about some of the risks they were taking. Well, maybe the fact that most of the "bad" things they did weren't malicious made a difference, too.

I do think the guy's wearing his rose-coloured glasses, though. Kids shot each other back then, too; it didn't happen as often and it didn't make the news nearly as often. Bad stuff happened all the time back then, but it wasn't as public as it is now. A lot of this over-supervision, in my opinion, came about as a well-intentioned but misguided attempt to stop some of that from happening. One of the real kickers, of course, is that since kids are no longer learning how to take care of themselves we're going to get a whole generation of adults that don't know how to handle real life at all.
Newt
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.

I want to be Ripley when I grow up.

« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2010, 06:57:43 PM »

One of the real kickers, of course, is that since kids are no longer learning how to take care of themselves we're going to get a whole generation of adults that don't know how to handle real life at all.

Sad to say, I could not agree more.   Bluesad

The erosion of personal responsibility spills over into the realm of individual accountability.  We are already seeing that becoming commonplace. It's somebody else's job to look after us and it's somebody else's fault if we do anything that results in negative consequences for us or anyone else.   Lookingup

Dang.  I should head over to the "Grinds My Gears" thread...

"May I offer you a Peek Frean?" - Walter Bishop
"Thank you for appreciating my descent into deviant behavior, Mr. Reese." - Harold Finch
Umaril The Unfeathered

Pelinal na vasha, racuvar! Sa yando tyavoy nagaia!

« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2010, 11:05:36 PM »

Well, I will say that in rural areas you do still see teenagers with guns blowing cans away unsupervised.  Probably not as common as it was back in his day, but in the more rural areas a lot of that kind of stuff is still very much a "who cares" sort of thing.  I think that in general a lot of the rural south is still much like he described.  It's just the more suburban and urban areas that have gotten so far from that.  From personal experience, the amount of police presence in many smaller suburban cities is truly ludicrous and excessive, as one example. 

I'd agree that a lot of the stuff hovering parents and society do in the end does more harm than good. 

Well as far as blowing cans off the fence, we used to do that all the time when I was little. Me, my dad and my mom would go out together and some of our neighbors would get in on it too. We enjoyed (and still do ) responsible firearms use. We were always raised around guns and we never had an accident, not one.

Sadly, in this day and age of "I can do what I want, screw responsibility" there will be many more firearm-related incidents (shootings, accidents) that will be blamed upon those who support and defend gun rights.  This is because of the inability of society and parents (and adults) to comprehend the power they're holding in their hands, or how to properly handle it.

And more importantly, because they can't accept their own stupidity that most likely led to it therefore their willingness to place blame on those who support responsibility.

Tam-Riel na nou Sancremath.
Dawn's Beauty is our shining home.

An varlais, nou bala, an kynd, nou latta.
The stars are our power, the sky is our light.

Malatu na nou karan.
Truth is our armor.

Malatu na bala
Truth is power.

Heca, Pellani! Agabaiyane Ehlnadaya!
Be gone, outsiders! I do not fear your mortal gods!

Auri-El na nou ata, ye A, Umaril, an Aran!
Aure-El is our father, and I, Umaril, the king!
Umaril The Unfeathered

Pelinal na vasha, racuvar! Sa yando tyavoy nagaia!

« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2010, 11:17:30 PM »

Well, I grew up during a war in the then Rhodesia in the 1960s and 1970s and I also went to school at a time where it was not uncommon for kids to come to classes with pistols or revolvers in their bags, given to them by their parents for self protection. Indeed, my Dad's favourite thing was to unload his 9mm Uzi and hand it to me to carry, adding that I should go and scare the crap out of the neighbours, which I duly did.  TeddyR

There was security but no overbearing supervision even during those terrible times ~ very unlike today where you have to know 24/7 where everyone is.

Being most of the Third World embraced Russian hospitality, you probabaly saw more than your share of AK-47's and Makarov's as well. Maybe a few RPG's too, I'd wager? Just asking.

Tam-Riel na nou Sancremath.
Dawn's Beauty is our shining home.

An varlais, nou bala, an kynd, nou latta.
The stars are our power, the sky is our light.

Malatu na nou karan.
Truth is our armor.

Malatu na bala
Truth is power.

Heca, Pellani! Agabaiyane Ehlnadaya!
Be gone, outsiders! I do not fear your mortal gods!

Auri-El na nou ata, ye A, Umaril, an Aran!
Aure-El is our father, and I, Umaril, the king!
Hammock Rider

« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2010, 01:28:11 PM »

When we took off on our little Goonie adventures

Did you tell the housekeeper about which drugs should go where?  Wink TeddyR

Wink

Jumping Kings and Making Haste Ain't my Cup of Meat
wickednick
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2010, 05:16:58 AM »

I'm 29 and its sad to think that I am the last generation to know what it was like to spend my time out doors because we had no internet, no cable, no playstation or xbox. I remember my baby sitter taking me out to a field and look for garter snakes, catch grasshoppers as big as my hand, even chase pheasants.Now that field is houses and apartments one of which is the house my family later moved into.

I remember going to lake michigan and swim unsupervised, not only because my parents didn't mind that I was out and having fun but also because the lake wasn't the complete cesspool that it is now.

My parents were not big believers in guns, but my grandparents sure were and all their boys learned to shoot guns and bows. There was no questions asked when they went hunting or fishing, they just did.

The simplicity of life even in the 80's was so nostalgic and free in spirit. When people wanted to get a hold of you they would call you on the house phone or come visit your home. Now its all text messaging and face book, everyone has a phone, everyone can give their two cents on the internet and act like everyone reading should care.

No one really communicates anymore, at least not in a meaningful fashion. I get texts of repugnant images on my phone, read inane comments on face book, listen to people speak the same way they text or have to read it on a internet forum. Where is the beauty of a interactive conversation? I now have to wait for someone to text me back or or give their two cents about something I posted on some internet forum or even worse talk to some god damn machine when I need help with my cable. I want real live communication damn't, not faceless masses.

I find it rather disappointing that I have let my self get sucked into the modern world and all its trappings. Wonder what it would be like if I just left and traveled the world, get into adventures and all that jazz.

Smells like popcorn and shame
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  FRED ALMOST MADE ME CRY THIS TIME . . . « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.