Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 06:52:33 PM
714493 Posts in 53097 Topics by 7744 Members
Latest Member: MichelFran
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Press Releases and Film News  |  SE Missouri hospital won't hire smokers « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: SE Missouri hospital won't hire smokers  (Read 6532 times)
3mnkids
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: November 23, 2010, 12:29:46 PM »

http://www.stltoday.com/lifestyles/health-med-fit/article_d15d3916-f703-11df-be15-0017a4a78c22.html

CAPE GIRARDEAU, Mo. -- Starting next year, smokers need not apply for jobs at Saint Francis Medical Center in Cape Girardeau.

The Southeast Missourian newspaper reports that starting Jan. 1, the hospital will no longer hire smokers. Applicants will be tested for nicotine as part of a pre-employment screening.

The policy will not affect current employees, who will continue to be offered access to tobacco cessation programs and other incentives to stop smoking.

A spokesman for the Missouri Hospital Association says he knows of only one other hospital in the state with a similar policy - Truman Medical Center in Kansas City.

Thoughts? I understand it's their right to hire whoever they want but this just doesn't seem right to  me. What's next, checking whether or not someone has a high fat diet, those with a high rate of cancer in the family, or how about not hiring those who are 20 or 30 pounds overweight, people who drink excessively? If heath care cost are the reason for this all of the things I just listed also contribute to the high cost of heath care.
This is a slippery slope IMO and yes, im a smoker   TongueOut

There's no worse feeling than that millisecond you're sure you are going to die after leaning your chair back a little too far~ ruminations
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2010, 02:25:08 PM »

Cigarettes confer NO health benefits and kill their users - and sometimes those around them.  WHY are they even legal?

Oh, wait, the government gets money from taxing them.

Never mind.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Jim H

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2010, 03:09:30 PM »

Cigarettes confer NO health benefits and kill their users - and sometimes those around them.  WHY are they even legal?

Oh, wait, the government gets money from taxing them.

Never mind.

Well, nicotine does have health benefits if I recall right.  Not long term overall ones, but it improves concentration, memory, reflexes and a few other things. 

Personally, I think this is a ridiculous policy.  I don't think employers have any real business in the private lives of their employees.  If they don't want chain smokers who have to skip out of work every 30 minutes to smoke, that'd be one thing.  Or if they think seeing doctors smoke is bad policy or some crap, don't let them smoke at the building.  But those are measurable performance issues, separate from this.  Beyond that, I don't see the relevance. 

I'm also curious if the amount of nicotine matters.  What about pipe or cigar smokers?  They'll typically have far less nicotine in their system.
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2010, 03:28:00 PM »

hospital work can be kind of a grind and lot of them smoke.

Ever since people stopped smoking in this country they ahve gotte nfatter. They drink huge sodas instead of smoking.

I almost want them to just bring back smoking.
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2010, 03:52:57 PM »

Speaking as a smoker, I think it's perfectly reasonable.  If I were a hospital administrator I wouldn't want to hire a smoker, or a morbidly obese person, for that matter.  There are perfectly rational reasons to discriminate against smokers, it's nothing like race or sex.  Let them hire or not hire whoever they want.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Umaril The Unfeathered

Pelinal na vasha, racuvar! Sa yando tyavoy nagaia!

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2010, 01:04:38 PM »

http://www.stltoday.com/lifestyles/health-med-fit/article_d15d3916-f703-11df-be15-0017a4a78c22.html

CAPE GIRARDEAU, Mo. -- Starting next year, smokers need not apply for jobs at Saint Francis Medical Center in Cape Girardeau.

The Southeast Missourian newspaper reports that starting Jan. 1, the hospital will no longer hire smokers. Applicants will be tested for nicotine as part of a pre-employment screening.

The policy will not affect current employees, who will continue to be offered access to tobacco cessation programs and other incentives to stop smoking.

A spokesman for the Missouri Hospital Association says he knows of only one other hospital in the state with a similar policy - Truman Medical Center in Kansas City.

Thoughts? I understand it's their right to hire whoever they want but this just doesn't seem right to  me. What's next, checking whether or not someone has a high fat diet, those with a high rate of cancer in the family, or how about not hiring those who are 20 or 30 pounds overweight, people who drink excessively? If heath care cost are the reason for this all of the things I just listed also contribute to the high cost of heath care.
This is a slippery slope IMO and yes, im a smoker   TongueOut

While I disagree with smoking, it IS an individual right, and I see no reason why this is happening.

But there too...some places now want to determine your job eligibility on your credit score,  and some homeowners cannot get insurance (or get it at insane rates) if they own a gun, or certain types of dogs.   More BS.  Not their business.

Same, how many people have been barred from life insurance for some pre-existing condition, while the rich a-hole burecrats can write a blank check to have them look the other way on their conditions?

A bit off topic in my last few examples, but opening up some more doors to more baseless restrictions nonetheless.

Tam-Riel na nou Sancremath.
Dawn's Beauty is our shining home.

An varlais, nou bala, an kynd, nou latta.
The stars are our power, the sky is our light.

Malatu na nou karan.
Truth is our armor.

Malatu na bala
Truth is power.

Heca, Pellani! Agabaiyane Ehlnadaya!
Be gone, outsiders! I do not fear your mortal gods!

Auri-El na nou ata, ye A, Umaril, an Aran!
Aure-El is our father, and I, Umaril, the king!
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Press Releases and Film News  |  SE Missouri hospital won't hire smokers « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.