Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 01:56:03 AM
712922 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Press Releases and Film News  |  Eating while driving causes 80% of all car accidents, study shows « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Eating while driving causes 80% of all car accidents, study shows  (Read 4238 times)
claws
« on: December 03, 2010, 03:01:41 AM »

Eating while driving causes 80% of all car accidents, study shows

By Jamie Locher and Owen Moritz

Sunday, July 19th 2009, 1:12 AM

Wait till you get home to eat that drive-thru.

A new study shows a staggering 80% of all car accidents and 65% of near misses are caused by distracted drivers more focused on their burgers than the road.

"Distractions like eating can become a problem for drivers who can't react quickly to a sharp curve," according to a study by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.

In addition to burgers, the study has ranked the worst foods to eat behind the wheel based on a survey of drivers.

Coffee is the worst, bringing new meaning to the adage "don't drink and drive."

"Even with a travel lid, hot coffee can find its way out of the opening when you hit a bump," the study said.

The study puts the other culprits in this order: soup, tacos, chili dogs, hamburgers, ribs and wings, fried chicken, jelly doughnuts, soda and chocolate.

On-the-go New Yorkers contend you can drive and eat, and they won't stop multitasking.

"When I'm at a light, I take a bite," said Lisa Perez, 29, of Fort Lee, N.J.

Dee Kesney, 24, of East New York, Brooklyn, acknowledged that biting into a hamburger while driving can pose a challenge.

"With the burger, the pickle might fall out and you might reach for that pickle," he said.

In a separate study of 1,000 drivers, ExxonMobil Corp. discovered more than 70% of drivers eat while driving - and 83% drink beverages.

Source: http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/2009/07/19/2009-07-19_eatdrive_sure_recipe_for_a_crash.html

Have you been guilty of eating and driving?
« Last Edit: December 04, 2010, 01:37:21 AM by claws » Logged
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2010, 10:06:32 PM »

I find 80% to be a hardly believable number. 
I've been driving for 32 years now, and I eat behind the wheel (and talk on my
cell phone) pretty regularly.  I have only had one serious accident in 32 years,
and it was caused by neither (I was changing a radio station, actually).  I do
think, however, that texting while driving is pure idiocy.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
El Misfit
[Insert witty here]
B-Movie Kraken

Hi there!

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2010, 11:08:10 PM »

okay, just how does one drink soup while driving?

as for you Indy, I firmly agree that texting while driving is pure idiotic, esp. when now there's laws that prohibit texting while driving, yet most teens- 29 would hide their phones, INCREASING the chances of an accident. Hatred this is why I put my phone on silent when I'm driving. TeddyR

yeah no.
Couchtr26
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2010, 11:55:00 PM »

okay, just how does one drink soup while driving?

Lipton's Cup o' Soup.  I actually like them for a quick lunch.  MMMMMM, tomato.  More seriously though, I think the 80% is a bit far fetched.  It seems much higher then I would place.  As one mentioned, I think changing the radio station and such activities produce more then 20%.  It seems more like a "get the food out of your face fatty" kind of study to help eliminate obesity in America. 

Ah, the good old days.
jimmybob
Bad Movie Lover

Move over, let Jimi take over.

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2010, 11:57:32 PM »

Sounds like a Fox News statistic.

-Jimmybob

Mofo Rising
Global Moderator

My cat can eat a whole watermelon!

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2010, 01:19:46 AM »

No links to the original study. The "National Highway Traffic Safety Administration" has a website that is a morass of non-information. That 80% number is not looking too good. I'm of the philosophy that when you're driving you should be spending your time driving, but 80%? All due to food? Not likely.

Every dead body that is not exterminated becomes one of them. It gets up and kills. The people it kills, get up and kill.
Umaril The Unfeathered

Pelinal na vasha, racuvar! Sa yando tyavoy nagaia!

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2010, 03:57:35 PM »

cell phone) pretty regularly.  I have only had one serious accident in 32 years,

Gotta agree with the 'Smith on this one. The number is far fetched, and even so, texting is pure lunacy.  Both hands on the wheel, and nowhere else.   If I have to talk on a phone, I dial the number, and clip the phone to my seat belt, or my shirt collar.

It's still hands-free and involves little or no interaction with the phone itself.

Tam-Riel na nou Sancremath.
Dawn's Beauty is our shining home.

An varlais, nou bala, an kynd, nou latta.
The stars are our power, the sky is our light.

Malatu na nou karan.
Truth is our armor.

Malatu na bala
Truth is power.

Heca, Pellani! Agabaiyane Ehlnadaya!
Be gone, outsiders! I do not fear your mortal gods!

Auri-El na nou ata, ye A, Umaril, an Aran!
Aure-El is our father, and I, Umaril, the king!
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2010, 05:43:35 PM »

How about drinking and driving?

I have a cup holder next to my seat in the car, and I always keep a couple bottles of bottled water there, for when I get thirsty, but I never drink, when I drive. I've been in enough accidents, both my fault and others. I've seen enough accidents. And I've seen enough near misses, both my fault and others. And you mix those in with the bicyclists and the joggers, who are as bad or almost as bad as the drivers, and then you add in the pedestrians, when in downtown, who are as bad or almost as bad as the bicyclists and the joggers, that the one thing you don't want to do, where I live, is to do anything except concentrate on your own driving plus watch out for everyone else.

So, if I take a swig from the bottle of bottled water in the car, I wait till I'm stopped at a red light.
Jim H

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2010, 06:32:23 PM »

Gotta agree with the 'Smith on this one. The number is far fetched, and even so, texting is pure lunacy.  Both hands on the wheel, and nowhere else.   If I have to talk on a phone, I dial the number, and clip the phone to my seat belt, or my shirt collar.

It's still hands-free and involves little or no interaction with the phone itself.

That's actually an unfortunate misconception, not helped much by the media or even the laws of certain states.  The big problem with talking on the cell phone while driving is one of distraction, not using up a hand (people actually drive quite well with one hand these days, and the big issue is usually reaction time more than dodging).  In fact, using hands free talking makes a statistically insignificant difference in driving ability compared to driving while on the phone and driving while not on the phone at all.  Talking to a passenger also has much less effect for some reason - it's not clear why exactly, actually - maybe because they're in the car with you they know when to be quiet. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mobile_phones_and_driving_safety#Handsfree_device

But yes, states that require hands free talking on the cell phones are accomplishing nothing besides maybe raising ticket revenue. 

As far as this statistic...  Sounds made up to me.  I'd be curious to know how they define "cause" in this case - if you're eating or drinking and get in an accident, do they automatically assume that was the reason?  If so, that'd explain it.  Kind of like how if you've ever drank and get liver cancer, or ever smoked and get lung cancer, some statistics automatically put you in as related to those, even if you drank the equivalent of two bottles of wine 30 years earlier or smoked a few packs in high school and never again - it's kind of spurious. 

There's no link to the study, so we can't really figure that one out.
Umaril The Unfeathered

Pelinal na vasha, racuvar! Sa yando tyavoy nagaia!

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2010, 08:46:56 PM »

That's actually an unfortunate misconception, not helped much by the media or even the laws of certain states.  The big problem with talking on the cell phone while driving is one of distraction, not using up a hand (people actually drive quite well with one hand these days, and the big issue is usually reaction time more than dodging).  In fact, using hands free talking makes a statistically insignificant difference in driving ability compared to driving while on the phone and driving while not on the phone at all.  Talking to a passenger also has much less effect for some reason - it's not clear why exactly, actually - maybe because they're in the car with you they know when to be quiet.

Well, we all know the media never helps promote anything unless it's something that they agree with or when they need to stir up a hornet's nest just for ratings purposes..

You do bring up a good point about distraction- to add to it, a lot of it can be emotional while driving and talking (such as a parent fighting with child or a husband with his wife) and in that way can also be a catalyst in such accidents involving cellphones, regardless of being hands-free or not.

Your emotional state can affect your reaction time as well.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mobile_phones_and_driving_safety#Handsfree_device

But yes, states that require hands free talking on the cell phones are accomplishing nothing besides maybe raising ticket revenue. 

I'd say that's a fair shot too..if you live in New Jersey, 'Nuff said. Almost every law is a moneymaker.

As far as this statistic...  Sounds made up to me.  I'd be curious to know how they define "cause" in this case - if you're eating or drinking and get in an accident, do they automatically assume that was the reason?  If so, that'd explain it.  Kind of like how if you've ever drank and get liver cancer, or ever smoked and get lung cancer, some statistics automatically put you in as related to those, even if you drank the equivalent of two bottles of wine 30 years earlier or smoked a few packs in high school and never again - it's kind of spurious. 

Kind of like how some groups of people automatically associated all listeners of heavy metal (like myself) with being devil worshippers, or saying that guys with long hair are all druggies.  I remember those ones very well from personal experience, lol

Tam-Riel na nou Sancremath.
Dawn's Beauty is our shining home.

An varlais, nou bala, an kynd, nou latta.
The stars are our power, the sky is our light.

Malatu na nou karan.
Truth is our armor.

Malatu na bala
Truth is power.

Heca, Pellani! Agabaiyane Ehlnadaya!
Be gone, outsiders! I do not fear your mortal gods!

Auri-El na nou ata, ye A, Umaril, an Aran!
Aure-El is our father, and I, Umaril, the king!
InformationGeek
Leader of the Friends' for Info
B-Movie Site Webmaster

Let's all be Friends.

« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2010, 05:44:07 PM »

80%?  Yeah right, sounds like someone is trying throw people off the texting trail if you ask me.

We live in quite an interesting age. You can tell someone's sexual orientation and level of education from just their interests.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Press Releases and Film News  |  Eating while driving causes 80% of all car accidents, study shows « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.