Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 10:52:14 PM
714424 Posts in 53097 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  How do you go about writing stories? « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: How do you go about writing stories?  (Read 1908 times)
The Gravekeeper
addicted to the macabre
Bad Movie Lover

« on: September 30, 2010, 10:26:49 PM »

Hanging around here, I've gathered that some of my fellow members are writers. I write myself (not professionaly, just as a hobby) and I'm always interested in hearing how other people go about it. The way I see it, no method is the right way to do it; there are certainly some broad approaches that everyone falls into, but every writer has their own particular quirks about it.

So...what process(es) do you use when you write?
akiratubo
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2010, 10:54:15 PM »

I'll write until it gets late or until my hands are about to fall off from typing.  I do that until the basic story is out.  Then I go back over it time and time again, fleshing it out, fixing plot holes, making sure everyone is in character, etc.

Kneel before Dr. Hell, the ruler of this world!
Skull
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2010, 11:33:11 PM »

I use a notebook. first I dot down ideas and write a small story for what I want to write; list characters and anything else I need to keep in mind.

then I try to break it into a outline (for each chapters) this is estimated, often times you'll feel if the chapter is nessary or you need to add another. I think I've added 30 more chapters in my first book...

Then I try to write notes for each outline/chapter and try make the chapter stick with the notes.

Then when I'm stuck (writer's block) I jump a chapter or 2.

Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2010, 05:47:14 AM »

I've been writing stories since I could write ~ I have written a book and several scripts, started in longhand, progressed to a typewriter and now a PC. Writing anything ~ like reviews for Andrew ~ lets me exorcise my demons, such as they are and I find writing very therapeutic.

Whether my writing is good or not, isn't for me to say.  Wink Smile

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2010, 06:23:31 AM »

When I used to write stories I'd just come up with some characters and then see what happened to them.  I liked having the characters firmly established in my mind, and then I could fashion a story that those people would probably get involved in.  Rewrites would result in large chunks getting chopped out because I was just meandering around looking for a direction when I wrote them.  My stories were full of smells and sounds and telling details - I really loved establishing a strong atmosphere and making people feel like they were right there inside my environments.  I think describing stuff was my favorite part of writing.

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2010, 09:54:21 PM »

Honestly it usually just pops in my head and I write it down frantically. Then of course later I have to go back and re-edit things so it'll make sense...sometimes though I'll get some whole other tangent or other story or poem come popping in my head and I feel the urge to write it down and then have to come back and re-edit again.

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  How do you go about writing stories? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.