Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 03:35:34 AM
714392 Posts in 53096 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Going to an Anime Convention Today « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Going to an Anime Convention Today  (Read 1561 times)
Derf
Crazy Rabbity Thingy
Proofreader
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Lagomorphs: menace or underutilized resource?

« on: October 02, 2010, 09:02:54 AM »

While I'm not a huge anime nerd, I do get into moods where I want to watch an anime movie or series every so often. There is a convention called Realmscon that has been held here one weekend in October for the last six years. My great niece has been going to them for a while, and I decided to go to it today. I don't really know what I'll find. But I hope to have some fun, learn a thing or two, maybe get a few good pictures, etc. I've only been to one other "convention," a Star Trek convention in Phoenix when I was out there visiting my brother years ago. For some reason, Full Moon pictures is listed as one of the sponsors, which is one reason I'm going. I'll let you know how it goes this evening or tomorrow.

"They tap dance not, neither do they fart." --Greensleeves, on the Fig Men of the Imagination, in "Twice Upon a Time."
Derf
Crazy Rabbity Thingy
Proofreader

« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2010, 09:21:03 PM »

I'm back. It was a fun experience. I saw Irwin Keyes sitting at a table by himself, selling autographed photos. No one was around him, so I approached him. He's a very nice guy. Very friendly. I felt bad for him since this was more an anime convention than a movie convention, so I ended up buying an autographed still of him as bad cop #1 in The Warriors. Here's a shot of me and him:

He was a swell guy. This shot was his idea.

Michael Barryman was also there. He seemed a little less friendly. He wasn't selling autographed prints; instead, he was apparently just kind of wandering around. When I asked if I could take his picture, he first asked if it was just for personal use. When I said yes, he was a bit friendlier and agreed to the shot. Here it is:

There were, of course, also a lot of kids running around in cartoon costumes, some very well done, and some that were pretty pathetic. The anime that was for sale was waaaaaay overpriced, so I didn't buy any. I wanted to buy the Subspecies box set at the Full Moon table, but it, too, was pricey. I ended up with just the Keyes still and a couple of presents for my daughter. Still, a fun day.

"They tap dance not, neither do they fart." --Greensleeves, on the Fig Men of the Imagination, in "Twice Upon a Time."
Paquita

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2010, 09:58:38 PM »

That looks like a lot of fun!  I love conventions!  And people in costumes! Even the bad costumes are fun!  I've seen a guy that dresses up like the best most majestic magical looking wizard at an anime convention and gencon.  Both times I saw him I really wanted to go up to him and hug him or ask for a picture but I ended up chickening out.  I get bored after a few hours at a convention so I don't go too often since they tend to be pricey, but I'd like to go to more.

I met Michael Barryman too, he was a judge at a zombie costume contest I was in, and I think he gave me a low score because I didn't answer his question, but that's because I was really nervous and my brain didn't decipher his words until about 5 minutes later and then I realized that he was addressing me... oh well.

Derf
Crazy Rabbity Thingy
Proofreader

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2010, 10:27:23 PM »

I understand about getting tired too soon, Paquita. My niece was there and was planning to stay til about 2 a.m. The rave was starting at about 10. I left at about 6:30.

The weirdest part of the day came when some random guy came up and complimented me on my chest hair, saying he was going to strive to have as much as me.  Question  BounceGiggle

Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Going to an Anime Convention Today « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.