Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 12:10:09 AM
712922 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Press Releases and Film News  |  Rocky and Bullwinkle creator Anderson dies « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Rocky and Bullwinkle creator Anderson dies  (Read 1782 times)
Newt
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I want to be Ripley when I grow up.

« on: October 25, 2010, 02:36:43 PM »

Rocky and Bullwinkle creator Anderson dies
Last Updated: Monday, October 25, 2010 | 2:18 PM ET
CBC News

Alex Anderson, the cartoonist who created animated characters Rocky the Squirrel and his friend Bullwinkle, has died. He was 90.

Anderson died Friday in Carmel, Calif., of complications from Alzheimer's.

Anderson was business partner to Jay Ward, producer of the Rocky and Bullwinkle Show. And while Ward and writer-director Bill Scott are known for their association with the show, Anderson was almost unknown.

Anderson had to sue Ward's heirs in the 1990s to regain full credit as creator of characters such as Rocky, Bullwinkle and Mountie parody Dudley Do-Right.

Anderson is credited with setting the tone of rapid-fire humour in the show, which was sophisticated enough for adults though aimed at children.

He parodied Cold War tensions by setting the sharp Rocky and dimwitted Bullwinkle against Russian enemies Boris Badenov and Natasha Fatale.

Those names were just the beginning of the puns, which flowed with vaudevillian timing and included naming Bullwinkle's old school Wossamotta U., or its archrival college Heckwith U.

Anderson and Ward, both born in September 1920 in Berkeley, Calif., were friends from youth.

Anderson studied at the California School for Fine Arts in San Francisco and University of California at Berkeley and was a Navy spy during the Second World War.

After the war, Anderson went to work full-time for Terrytoons, in New Rochelle, N.Y. , but he began thinking about the new medium on its way — television.

In 1948 he dreamed up the animated series Crusader Rabbit, and talked his friend Ward into handling the business end. The series ran from 1949 to 1952 on NBC.

During this period, Anderson developed the ideas for Bullwinkle, Rocky and other characters and conceived of a show where Bullwinkle and Rocky were hosts of a kind of animated variety show featuring cartoons that parodied popular TV.

While Anderson conceived of the show, it was Ward who got it to air.

"I didn't want to move to Los Angeles and elected not to get involved in production, but NBC would not make the deal unless I was involved. So I agreed to act as a creative consultant and to review scripts and make suggestions," Anderson said in an interview with Hogan's Alley, a cartoon history site.

He credited Ward with assembling the great team of writers and actors that moved the show forward.

Rocky and Bullwinkle influenced a generation of animated creators, including Matt Groening of the Simpsons.

Another brilliant light goes out.  Thank you Mr Anderson.

"May I offer you a Peek Frean?" - Walter Bishop
"Thank you for appreciating my descent into deviant behavior, Mr. Reese." - Harold Finch
Umaril The Unfeathered
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Pelinal na vasha, racuvar! Sa yando tyavoy nagaia!

« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2010, 03:56:11 PM »

Yeah, slowly but surely, the creators of our greatest cultural icons are fading from our world.  I will silently raise my glass to Mr. Anderson and thank him for the memories of 2 of the funniest characters of all time.

Indeed, Bullwinkle's humor was rapid fire, and aimed at adults. Even in today's atmosphere, the jokes stand up just as well as they did then.  Bullwinkle's pearls of wisdom were funny as hell, and the show was just brilliant in every aspect of the word.

Anderson's spoofing of the Cold War was absolutely hilarious..he gave us all the hope that real Russian spies were that dumb, and it was a nice show of patriotism in it's own way as our heroes waylaid their plans every step of the way.  The real life incidents outside our doorsteps at that time weren't so funny...

All in all, Bullwinkle was a stroke of comedic genius that was light years ahead of it's time, and anyone who hasn't yet seen this show has yet to say that they truly lived.  TeddyR

Tam-Riel na nou Sancremath.
Dawn's Beauty is our shining home.

An varlais, nou bala, an kynd, nou latta.
The stars are our power, the sky is our light.

Malatu na nou karan.
Truth is our armor.

Malatu na bala
Truth is power.

Heca, Pellani! Agabaiyane Ehlnadaya!
Be gone, outsiders! I do not fear your mortal gods!

Auri-El na nou ata, ye A, Umaril, an Aran!
Aure-El is our father, and I, Umaril, the king!
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Press Releases and Film News  |  Rocky and Bullwinkle creator Anderson dies « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.