Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 02:47:20 AM
712922 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Television  |  Daybreak (2006) Think you're having a bad day? « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Daybreak (2006) Think you're having a bad day?  (Read 2234 times)
BTM
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: October 27, 2010, 11:46:49 AM »

Another one of those "too good for TV" series, that, for whatever reason just didn't take off (even though it was pretty damn awesome.

The show follows Detective Brett Hopper (the sadly underrated Taye Diggs) as he wakes up at his girlfriend's house.  Going to his apartment, he's arrested and accused of murdering a Senator.  Before he can even really sort out what's going, he finds himself kidnapped from his cell and tied up in a rock quarry.  Several shadowy men tell him to cooperate with the frame, or else... and they show him a video of his girlfriend being murdered and threaten him, his sister and her family with the same fate.  Then Brett wakes up...

To find himself back in his girlfriend's apartment in the morning.  At first he thinks last night was a dream, but when the news (and other events) find themselves to be eerily familiar, he realizes the truth: the day is repeating, over and over, and he's the only one who seems to remember anything.

Many described this series as Groundhog's Day meets The Fugitive, and while, that's accurate, I don't think really conveys how good a show this is.  There's a rather complex mystery here to be solved, something involving both the present day murder of the Senator, an old case unsolved case from Hopper's deceased father (who also happened to be a police Detective) and some other darker elements within the city.

As certain situations repeat themselves with new wrinkles, Brett (and audience) learn more about the mystery and discover things about the rather excellent cast.  You'll see your opinion of many of Brett's colleagues rise and fall (and some sometimes re-rise and re-fall).

Now, you're probably thinking (as I was after two eps), well, what's the big deal?  Even if Brett dies, the next day just resents everything, so where's the suspense? 

Well, not quite.

Here's where this show differs from other stories with this premise.  Early in the series Hopper gets shot in the shoulder... and wakens the next morning with the wound bleeding all over his girlfriend's covers.  Wounds inflict from one day carry over to next along with memories.

Sadly, for whatever reason, the series was cancelled before all the eps that were filmed could even be aired.  I don't know for certain what the case was but the 13 eps produced, while not answering EVERY question DO wrap up the series in a satisfactory way.

If you get a chance, I recommend checking it out.  You could rent on Netflix, or, I even saw a special edition for sale at Wal-Mart for only $5 (which, while a good deal, makes me a bit sad cause I feel the series deserve more attention than what it got.)

If you'd like more info you can check out the IMDB link here http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0801425/

"Some people mature, some just get older." -Andrew Vachss
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Television  |  Daybreak (2006) Think you're having a bad day? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.