Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 12:10:34 AM
714463 Posts in 53097 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Grocery Shopping « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Grocery Shopping  (Read 2339 times)
Mr. DS
Master Of Cinematic Bowel Movements
B-Movie Kraken

Get this thread cleaned up or YOU'RE FIRED!!!

« on: October 23, 2010, 09:36:54 PM »

I went grocery shopping today with the family and began to wonder if people share similar practices when it comes to food shopping.  We usually go every two weeks to Stop And Shop.  Most of the time with three kids my wife goes with one of them.  I personally don't mind grocery shopping but I can't stand it when the store is loaded with people.  Much like any area, I don't like dealing with a lot of people around.  Especially when these people are behind bulky shopping carts. 

So how often do you grocery shop?  Who goes in your house if not yourself? 

DarkSider's Realm
http://darksidersrealm.blogspot.com/

"You think the honey badger cares?  It doesn't give a sh*t."  Randall
El Misfit
[Insert witty here]
B-Movie Kraken

Hi there!

« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2010, 10:02:04 PM »

my dad goes 98% of the time every Saturday, the other 2% is that he's at work or on a married date with my mum, usually celebrating their anniversary or just being on a date with me mum. anyways, my dad will only get vegan stuff, except for milk, ice cream, and cheese, because I will die without milk and/or cheese.   Buggedout Buggedout

yeah no.
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2010, 07:00:02 PM »

We used to go every week.  Now we probably go only one or two times a month for a "big shopping," and then a few other times when we need to pick up a few things like bread, milk, cereal, dog food or whatever.  Stop & Shop is really expensive around here, so I rarely shop there.  I can probably save 20 - 25% off my entire food order by shopping at Market Basket rather than Stop & Shop.  And there are at least 5 Market Basket supermarkets within a 10 minute drive of my house, so those stores are really convenient for me.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
retrorussell
In the town of Valentine Bluffs, there are many ways to die. Take your pick.

Hanniger! I'll be waiting in HELL for you!

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2010, 07:09:34 PM »

Once a week I'll stop off at Albertson's on the way back from work to get more soda, bread, apples or noodles.  More often if I feel like whipping up a certain dish.  I'm probably going to go later tonight to get some stuff.  Instant potato flakes sounds good all of a sudden.

"O the legend they say, on a Valentine's Day, is a curse that'll live on and on.."
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2010, 08:51:47 PM »

Once a month for the 'big' shopping, as far as spending a boatload of cash.  Usually grab a bunch of bread on sale and freeze a few loaves.

After that one big day, we'll usually stop by the local convenience store for small items that we occasionally need: milk, soda, incidental stuff we forgot at the supermarket.

Small stuff, like lettuce, tomatoes, etc., occasionally I'll grab from work (I work in a restaurant), so sometimes they'll let me take home some tomatoes and heads of lettuce if we need some at home.

"The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell."

Don’t get too close, it’s dark inside.
It’s where my demons hide, it’s where my demons hide.
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2010, 02:10:16 AM »

I personally don't mind grocery shopping but I can't stand it when the store is loaded with people.  Much like any area, I don't like dealing with a lot of people around.  Especially when these people are behind bulky shopping carts. 

I agree, DS: I usually leave my shopping to later in the day ~ the shop I go to stays open until 20h00 ~ so that makes it a little easier for me with less people and less times that you want to say *&^%$#@##!!!!!! when some idiot either bumps you in the check-out queue or runs over your foot with a shopping cart wheel.  Buggedout

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
asimpson2006
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2010, 07:58:19 AM »

I usually go shopping myself since I am buying my own food for my lunches at work or for stuff for the weekend or stuff I get that my parents can share.  I usually go on the weekends and fairly early (around 7:00 to 8:00 am) usually so I can avoid the crowds.  I sometime do go during the week, and if I do I usually go after my shift ends on the way home from work.  Though I will often go later at night.
Hammock Rider

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2010, 08:29:49 AM »

I eat alot of produce so I grocery shop every couple days to keep my food fresh. I try to go either early or later in the day to avoid crowds. I absolutley avoid going on Saturday or Sunday morning or afternoon because that's when all the "Sunday shoppers" are out with huge unweildy cartloads of food and screaming kiddies.

Jumping Kings and Making Haste Ain't my Cup of Meat
ulthar

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2010, 09:13:42 AM »

We go every day or two.  We eat a TON of fresh fruit and veggies and it doesn't keep long.  Also, we don't have a fridge (we use a passive icebox cooler that is not very large) - and we have no way to keep frozen food frozen.  Finally, we don't have a TON of storage space to keep a bunch of extra stuff.

Well, we COULD store enough food for about 60 days (family of four), but it's not convenient and it would use storage space we are currently using for other 'luxuries.'

We drive by the grocery store(s) constantly, so stopping to pick something up is not a big deal.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
claws
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2010, 09:45:36 AM »

Twice a month always on a Saturday morning because that is the most convenient day/time for us to shop.
We grab fresh fruit, veggies, eggs, bread & bakery products during the week.
Ed, Ego and Superego

« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2010, 05:13:22 PM »

We do a big shop at a cheaper gorcery once a week, then fill in fun or qualuty foods on a need basis.  I love finding cool or intersting food, and WinCo is not really great for that.
-Ed

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?

Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
Andrew
Administrator

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2010, 05:25:42 PM »

I usually stop at the Aberdeen Commissary on my way home Friday nights.  Something nice about a commissary (besides the reduced prices) is that they also tend to stock some foods from other countries.  Aberdeen is good for a fair selection of German stuff, and Dover AFB tends to have a better selection of Japanese items.

Staples like cereal, oatmeal, chicken, beef, milk, OJ, and eggs all tend to be much cheaper at the commissary.  Right now, though the kids are still young, we go through about 3 gallons of milk every week.  That's in addition to 2-3 dozen eggs (mostly hard boiled for me).  Once the kids are teenagers I'm going to need a line of credit for the milk alone.

We also eat a lot of fruits and vegetables.  Some of that I get from a local orchard (peaches - I must have ate a bushel myself, maybe more), and there is a farmer's market too.  The farmer's market is great for stuff like local honey and pumpkin butter.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2010, 03:02:40 AM »

Once the kids are teenagers I'm going to need a line of credit for the milk alone.

BounceGiggle BounceGiggle TeddyR

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Paquita

« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2010, 10:34:08 PM »

I try to go once every two weeks too.  The fewer people that come with me with me the faster I can get out of there and the less money I spend.  I usually have to stop back for milk once a week.  I'm getting fed up with groceries lately because all my favorite things keep getting discontinued or dropped from my store!  The latest is banana bread oatmeal.  At least they had Count Chocula this year.
Ed, Ego and Superego

« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2010, 05:26:39 PM »

I usually stop at the Aberdeen Commissary on my way home Friday nights.  Something nice about a commissary (besides the reduced prices) is that they also tend to stock some foods from other countries.  Aberdeen is good for a fair selection of German stuff, and Dover AFB tends to have a better selection of Japanese items.

Staples like cereal, oatmeal, chicken, beef, milk, OJ, and eggs all tend to be much cheaper at the commissary.  Right now, though the kids are still young, we go through about 3 gallons of milk every week.  That's in addition to 2-3 dozen eggs (mostly hard boiled for me).  Once the kids are teenagers I'm going to need a line of credit for the milk alone.

We also eat a lot of fruits and vegetables.  Some of that I get from a local orchard (peaches - I must have ate a bushel myself, maybe more), and there is a farmer's market too.  The farmer's market is great for stuff like local honey and pumpkin butter.
Hey Andrew, like most military kids I worked as a bagger at the comissary on base.  We had specialzed multilayer carts to hold lots of grocery bags.  I have never seen them anywhere else.  Do they still exist?
-Ed

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?

Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Grocery Shopping « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.