Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 02:33:16 AM
714503 Posts in 53097 Topics by 7744 Members
Latest Member: MichelFran
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Tobe Hooper's EATEN ALIVE (1977) « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Tobe Hooper's EATEN ALIVE (1977)  (Read 1779 times)
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« on: December 09, 2010, 08:18:40 PM »

Directed by Tobe Hopper
w/ Neville brand
Carolyn Jones
Robert Englund
Stuart Whitman
Marilyn Burns
Roberta Collins
William Finley

Very loosley based on the crimes of nut job Joe Bell,a salon keeper who killed folks and feed them to his pet gators,Hooper tries to repeat his sucsess of the classic TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE. Trys. Don't get me wrong-I like this film alot!But TCM is a hard act to follow. I think the main reason is because (at least to horror/exploitation fans) that the cast is so recognizable. Much of the sucsess of TCM was it's use of unknowns in the lead roles-hell-all the roles! But
 Nevertheless, EATEN ALIVE is a classick on it's own merits.
Neville Brand,who's been playing killers and psychos since way back in 1950 with D.O.A, is Judd-the loony toon sexually repressed owner of a run down hotel in the backwaters of Buttf**k,Egypt. he has a tendency to go apes**t whenever someone shows up he thinks is '' dirty''. So what happens? Some of the ugliest people you will ever see show up. Among them a hooker, a pervert and a screeching husband with his wife and kid. Robert Englund is the perv,who,with one of Carolyn Jones call girls,raise his ire and push him of into the deep end.So he goes around whacking folks with his scythe (some people call it a sling blade  TongueOut), and feeding them to his conveinant alligator.
 The whole feel of the film is like an EC horror comic come to life. The people are blown out of porportion carictures,the atmosphere is calaustraphobic and scummy,and the bad guys get theirs in the end.
And a good time is had by all in the audiance.  Drink

Small | Large

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2010, 12:30:09 AM »

Holy sh!t, that's MEL FERRER...!!  I never realized that before... I've seen this film... I don't even think of it as a TOBE HOOPER film I think so well of TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE, there's no comparison.  Still, that's a great clip, probably the most intense part of the film... that flipped out movie uhm, yeh I like it, too.   Smile

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2010, 07:48:38 AM »

I recorded that off TV a long time ago - maybe it was on IFC?  I dunno.  Never did watch it though.  I'll have to check it out one of these days  TeddyR

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
Skull
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2010, 01:17:15 PM »

I recorded that off TV a long time ago - maybe it was on IFC?  I dunno.  Never did watch it though.  I'll have to check it out one of these days  TeddyR

It's very good, actually I consider EATEN ALIVE more better then TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE.
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2010, 01:18:54 PM »

Perhaps I'll have to dig it out this weekend  Smile

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
Pilgermann
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2010, 02:13:50 PM »

I may be in the minority, but this movie annoyed the crap out of me.  About the only thing I liked was the cruddy atmosphere and weird lighting/color scheme, with harsh reds and whatnot.  It was just boring and pointless to me.  It also made me laugh that there's a "music composed, arranged and conducted by" credit when it's just a bunch of random racket and and random synthesizer noise.  I'd rather watch Manos. TongueOut

RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2010, 05:18:10 PM »

I may be in the minority, but this movie annoyed the crap out of me.  About the only thing I liked was the cruddy atmosphere and weird lighting/color scheme, with harsh reds and whatnot.  It was just boring and pointless to me.  It also made me laugh that there's a "music composed, arranged and conducted by" credit when it's just a bunch of random racket and and random synthesizer noise.  I'd rather watch Manos. TongueOut
Im surprized! Yu didn't like Neville?I respect yer opinion...but I am surprized by it! I dont think I spelled "surprize" right. DAMMIT! I dont think I spelled the word "spelled' right either!!!!AHHH!
Anyway......were   talking about the movie EATEN ALIVE-right? Yeah....You dont like it....ok! I dont like STAR WARS or any Harry Potter thing or that Sherlock Holmes movie where Robert Downy   does kung fu...To each his own. Thats why this is BAD MOVIES....most us like things that most people dont like!  Cheers

PS I like MANOS too!  Thumbup

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Tobe Hooper's EATEN ALIVE (1977) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.