Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 02:36:05 AM
712922 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Press Releases and Film News  |  Millionaires to Obama: Tax us « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Millionaires to Obama: Tax us  (Read 30688 times)
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« on: November 19, 2010, 05:06:17 PM »

Millionaires to Obama: Tax us
Anti-tax activists everywhere have been loudly arguing for an extension of George W. Bush-era tax cuts for the wealthiest Americans in the United States.  Now a group of millionaires is arguing the opposite.

More than 40 of the nation's millionaires have joined Patriotic Millionaires for Fiscal Strength to ask President Obama to discontinue the tax breaks established for them during the Bush administration, as Salon reports.

"For the fiscal health of our nation and the well-being of our fellow citizens, we ask that you allow tax cuts on incomes over $1,000,000 to expire at the end of this year as scheduled," their website states. "We make this request as loyal citizens who now or in the past earned an income of $1,000,000 per year or more..." 

http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_theticket/20101119/ts_yblog_theticket/millionaires-to-obama-tax-us

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
Trekkie313
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2010, 05:56:51 PM »

TeddyR Oh glorious day!  Cheers
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2010, 06:31:35 PM »

How many country clubs did they have to troll through to find that many people eager to have the government devour MORE than half their earnings?  The top 5% of wage earners in this country already foot around 90% of the tax burden.  My opinion: these guys are morons.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Doggett
Bustin' makes me feel good !
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I've seen things you people couldn't imagine...

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2010, 06:34:32 PM »

I think they're patriots who want to give more to their country.  Thumbup
There's only so much money you can spend anyway, might as well give some away.

If God exists, why did he make me an atheist? Thats His first mistake.
Umaril The Unfeathered

Pelinal na vasha, racuvar! Sa yando tyavoy nagaia!

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2010, 06:53:47 PM »

How many country clubs did they have to troll through to find that many people eager to have the government devour MORE than half their earnings?

Yeah and how drunk were they when they said "yes"? lol 

And just what are they getting in return for suddenly allowing their earnings to go to Capitol Hill's war chest? 

I think they're patriots who want to give more to their country.  Thumbup
There's only so much money you can spend anyway, might as well give some away.

Well Obama said 'change was coming' so how about sending some of that change to we, the little people?

Tam-Riel na nou Sancremath.
Dawn's Beauty is our shining home.

An varlais, nou bala, an kynd, nou latta.
The stars are our power, the sky is our light.

Malatu na nou karan.
Truth is our armor.

Malatu na bala
Truth is power.

Heca, Pellani! Agabaiyane Ehlnadaya!
Be gone, outsiders! I do not fear your mortal gods!

Auri-El na nou ata, ye A, Umaril, an Aran!
Aure-El is our father, and I, Umaril, the king!
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2010, 07:03:52 PM »

Hey, nobody's stopping them from donating their excess income to the government!

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Umaril The Unfeathered

Pelinal na vasha, racuvar! Sa yando tyavoy nagaia!

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2010, 07:13:28 PM »

Hey, nobody's stopping them from donating their excess income to the government!

You have a point.

Tam-Riel na nou Sancremath.
Dawn's Beauty is our shining home.

An varlais, nou bala, an kynd, nou latta.
The stars are our power, the sky is our light.

Malatu na nou karan.
Truth is our armor.

Malatu na bala
Truth is power.

Heca, Pellani! Agabaiyane Ehlnadaya!
Be gone, outsiders! I do not fear your mortal gods!

Auri-El na nou ata, ye A, Umaril, an Aran!
Aure-El is our father, and I, Umaril, the king!
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2010, 11:59:54 PM »

How many country clubs did they have to troll through to find that many people eager to have the government devour MORE than half their earnings?  The top 5% of wage earners in this country already foot around 90% of the tax burden.  My opinion: these guys are morons.
They must be morons.  Why would anyone want to give?  Yet, Christ gave everything. 

indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2010, 12:16:50 AM »

Giving one's life for lost souls and giving one's hard earned dollars to a bloated, wasteful bureacracy are hardly the same thing, AHD.  And I'm not against paying what's required.  But if all God requires is 10%, where does ANY government get off demanding that some people pay 40% of their annual income, in addition to massive taxes on their property that have to be paid EVERY YEAR, even if the property has been in their family for generations.  Then every single purchase they make is also taxed, as are their business transactions. And, oh yeah, if some in Congress get their way, after the government takes half their income every year for their entire productive lives, when they die, the government will take another 40% of what is left before allowing the remainder to be passed on to their children.  That is insanity!

I am fine with GIVING.  People are free to GIVE all they want to the charity of their choice, including the United States Government.  But I think it is immoral, evil, and wrong for any government to assume that it is entitled to HALF or more of everything you earn in a lifetime, just because you happen to be financially successful. 

Frankly, AHD my friend, your reply was an apples to oranges comparison and a rather cheap shot.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Trekkie313
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2010, 01:41:27 AM »

How the f**k did this turn into a religious argument?   Question Bluesad
ulthar

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2010, 07:12:10 AM »

How the f**k did this turn into a religious argument?   Question Bluesad

I don't see an argument, just a discussion.

AHD raised an interesting point - is the request for lower taxation consistent with the Christian ideal of "giving"?  Given that there are several Christians on this board that also gripe against taxes (progressive taxes in particular, in my case), I think it is a fair distinction to make.  Indy addressed the point.

What's the big deal?

Did you lurk on this forum for any period of time before you started posting?  Because these guys (and myself from time to time) have back-and-forth discussions like this all the time (we discuss religion a LOT, as well as other "controversial" topics)...and generally with mutual respect and at the end of it all, we have all typically learned something new not only about the subject but also about the other people on the board.

It's what makes us, you know, like friends.   Thumbup

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
akiratubo

« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2010, 10:02:35 AM »

Rather than begging to be taxed more, perhaps they could donate all that money to local causes.

Kneel before Dr. Hell, the ruler of this world!
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2010, 10:24:45 AM »

I find it kind of refreshing. I hear plenty of arguments for a more voluntary system of paying for things, but never from anyone who sounds like they'd pay their share if they had a choice. It's nice to see people who can afford to pay more stepping up and suggesting that they should.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2010, 11:50:54 AM »

First, Christ gave everything and he demanded alot of his followers but they could leave. If you don't give the government taxes you go to jail. So it's voluntarily giving verses coercian. He also said render unto caesar what is caesars, not I am working through the state so giving them is the same to giving to me.

As for milionaires or even billionaires they are not a monolithic group.  I see Mort Zuckerman on Mghlaughlin group and he speaks matter of factly about raising taxes to meet he budget. he is for it. Other of these guys aren't.

There aer a number of reasons for a really rich person to be for this and against it. being for it publicly is of course good publicity. It may be principled too. It may be out of fear of a bigger catastrophe that the 700 billion this will "cost" (I know it's not the same thing but in terms of the budget) may precipitate.

The problem is there simply isn't a popular political party that can cut the budget in a meaningful way. The republicans are obsessed with war and "defense" *(offense, really) and any money they save from the other areas will likely go to that so they are not much help. Liberals of course have their constituencies unions, federal workers etc.

I saw some democrat womans response to the rather sensible deficit commissions suggestions and it was just a bunch of normal democatic talking points. That's kind of the way things are going to go. Probably the republicans will make sure the defense stuff isn't at all significant and the thing they finally come up with will not even come close to slowiong down the debt train.

* I think republicans think we get PAID to fight wars. That's the only way their support for it squares in any way with their alleged conservatism.

edit http://bit.ly/c8QLOP GOP "we are never going to cut defense"

http://bit.ly/9V0Pld dems "we are never going to cut entitlements"

« Last Edit: November 20, 2010, 04:00:54 PM by lester1/2jr » Logged
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2010, 11:56:33 AM »

Giving is giving.  Paying taxes is patriotic.  I am perplexed by people who aren't rich, but defend the rich (even to their own detriment) because... they hope to be rich someday, or dream of so being, and don't want to risk their imaginary millions into government coffers...  Question Lookingup

Pages: [1] 2 3
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Press Releases and Film News  |  Millionaires to Obama: Tax us « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.