Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 11:38:50 AM
714442 Posts in 53097 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Television  |  The Palin Phenomenon « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10
Author Topic: The Palin Phenomenon  (Read 49001 times)
Jim H
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #75 on: November 29, 2010, 06:20:00 PM »

Gender roles were defined decades ago

Heh.  I'd say much of what constitutes gender roles today was defined more like 5-7,000 years ago at the dawn of civilization, and a good deal of it likely pre-dates the modern human species. 

And on that note,  both men and women have, in a way, been cross-trained in the traditonal roles each once played to exclusivity. Not only out of the need to break social
barriers, but just to get by and survive everyday.  It was bound to happen. Nothing stays the same.

Yeah...  I'm reminded of my grandfather (who died last year).  When my grandmother died about eight years ago, he had to learn to do all sorts of things as he now lived alone and refused to get help of any sort (he was in fact pretty rich, but you'd never know it based on his home or lifestyle).  My mom and her sisters had to teach him how to cook, clean, do laundry, that sort of thing - he'd never done any of it in his entire life, that's how rigidly the roles between husband and wife were in the time and place where he grew up.  Not like you could call him lazy for not knowing such stuff - he ruined his lungs (which eventually killed him) and his hearing working at a mill extremely long hours to support his seven kids.  So his wife HAD to take care of everything in the home. 
Umaril The Unfeathered

Pelinal na vasha, racuvar! Sa yando tyavoy nagaia!

« Reply #76 on: November 29, 2010, 06:44:39 PM »

Gender roles were defined decades ago

Heh.  I'd say much of what constitutes gender roles today was defined more like 5-7,000 years ago at the dawn of civilization, and a good deal of it likely pre-dates the modern human species. 

True, true. Naturally, I was speaking of more modern times.
Apparently I forgot about the days when men hunted with flint tips and used atlatls, and women stayed barefoot and topless in the cave. Not that I mind topless women, mind you  Twirling     

And on that note,  both men and women have, in a way, been cross-trained in the traditonal roles each once played to exclusivity. Not only out of the need to break social
barriers, but just to get by and survive everyday.  It was bound to happen. Nothing stays the same.

Yeah...  I'm reminded of my grandfather (who died last year).  When my grandmother died about eight years ago, he had to learn to do all sorts of things as he now lived alone and refused to get help of any sort (he was in fact pretty rich, but you'd never know it based on his home or lifestyle).  My mom and her sisters had to teach him how to cook, clean, do laundry, that sort of thing - he'd never done any of it in his entire life, that's how rigidly the roles between husband and wife were in the time and place where he grew up.  Not like you could call him lazy for not knowing such stuff - he ruined his lungs (which eventually killed him) and his hearing working at a mill extremely long hours to support his seven kids.  So his wife HAD to take care of everything in the home. 

Sorry to hear such a sad tale, my friend.  It'll be ten years for my maternal grandmother in Feb. of 2011. We both have ones we miss   Bluesad

But yes, you make a good point about how some folks have to learn out of necessity, as your grandfather had to. 

Seven kids? Wow...sounds like there was as a lot more love than there was money (if I may say.)   God rest his soul for his earthly committment to family.  Sounds like he was a very good man and you were lucky to have known him.  Smile

Tam-Riel na nou Sancremath.
Dawn's Beauty is our shining home.

An varlais, nou bala, an kynd, nou latta.
The stars are our power, the sky is our light.

Malatu na nou karan.
Truth is our armor.

Malatu na bala
Truth is power.

Heca, Pellani! Agabaiyane Ehlnadaya!
Be gone, outsiders! I do not fear your mortal gods!

Auri-El na nou ata, ye A, Umaril, an Aran!
Aure-El is our father, and I, Umaril, the king!
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #77 on: November 29, 2010, 09:44:57 PM »

Lookingup

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
BTM

« Reply #78 on: December 02, 2010, 12:57:25 AM »

I like Cheez-Its.

"Some people mature, some just get older." -Andrew Vachss
Umaril The Unfeathered

« Reply #79 on: December 02, 2010, 03:26:21 AM »

I like Cheez-Its.

Y' know what? For some odd reason, I suddenly find myself liking them too..  But like the commercial says, ya' gotta get yer own box.

Malatu na nou karan.
Truth is our armor.

Malatu na bala
Truth is power.

El Misfit
[Insert witty here]
B-Movie Kraken

Hi there!

« Reply #80 on: December 04, 2010, 08:12:32 PM »

Why do men like her so much?

For one, Palin is an ally of men and their traditional values, such as guns, hunting, and 4x4 trucks and 2 week long trips to the mountains.  And she's still pretty good looking to boot!

She is just as home with a 00 buck Remington 870 12 gauge, as she is being in the kitchen cooking for friends and family, and with little or no transitional difficulty. She's
an all-round woman who shatters the traditional female mold in a way previous women couldn't.

umm, I don't like her because, what I believe, she is trying to intimidate the women by being more of a tomboy, err tom man than what a lady would be characterized as, but it is my own opinion.  Bluesad

yeah no.
Umaril The Unfeathered

« Reply #81 on: December 05, 2010, 12:51:46 PM »

For one, Palin is an ally of men and their traditional values, such as guns, hunting, and 4x4 trucks and 2 week long trips to the mountains.  And she's still pretty good looking to boot!

She is just as home with a 00 buck Remington 870 12 gauge, as she is being in the kitchen cooking for friends and family, and with little or no transitional difficulty. She's
an all-round woman who shatters the traditional female mold in a way previous women couldn't.

umm, I don't like her because, what I believe, she is trying to intimidate the women by being more of a tomboy, err tom man than what a lady would be characterized as, but it is my own opinion.  Bluesad

Would it make any difference if Palin was a hot, curvy and overdeveloped young 20-something woman holding a Remington and bouncing all over the place every time she
got a round off?     

C'mon, you know it would... TeddyR

As to tomboy-ishness,  it never really bothered me, as long as she's not "too" tom.

And we all know how Hollywood "women" feel about Palin, and THEY have no room to criticize either.  Are they any more ideal of a role model?

Hollywood womens' quest for immortality, thru chemical and prosthetic means ( lipo, boob-jobs, and Botox)  and the 90-pound runway models who don't eat for a year to to get that "sexy" look are no more of an image that should be promoted either.

But, to acknowledge your point, you could be onto something, in terms of Palin's tomboyishness being a problem for some women. 

Malatu na nou karan.
Truth is our armor.

Malatu na bala
Truth is power.

lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #82 on: December 05, 2010, 02:06:49 PM »

I prefer Michelle Bachman
Umaril The Unfeathered

« Reply #83 on: December 05, 2010, 02:25:23 PM »

I prefer Michelle Bachman

Hehe. I used to like Kate Winslet a LOT...that scene in Titanic when she was laying on the couch nude in front of Leo DiCaprio as he painted her, with those lovely round, natural ta-ta's gently swaying whenever she moved on the couch.

And all that flaming red hair of hers!  O.M.G. hot

She did a fully frontal nude scene in another movie ( I forget which one) and I nearly died from the heat. She had such a big, full and natural female figure in that scene.

Dude, I need a cold shower... Buggedout

Looks like she might have lost a few pounds, and I'm a bit sad that she's no longer as fully figured as she was in Titanic and the other movie I mentioned, but she was always a big love of mine and a truly beautiful and natural lady in her day.

Natural being the key word.  TeddyR

Malatu na nou karan.
Truth is our armor.

Malatu na bala
Truth is power.

3mnkids

« Reply #84 on: December 05, 2010, 02:53:19 PM »

Foreign Press Says What America’s Won’t: Sarah Palin is a Traitor
http://www.politicususa.com/en/foreign-sarah-palin-traitor
Just a few juicer bits.. the entire thing is worth a read though.

Sarah Palin has made it to the big time; she’s now being called out by international media. Yesterday, the Russian newspaper Pravda (this same paper has been quoted in numerous Right Wing publications when it criticized President Obama, and was considered a paper of merit at such time) eviscerated Sarah Palin for her unrelenting attacks upon the democratically elected President, at a time when America needs to stand together, united.

If anything is a threat to the national security of the United States of America, it is this screaming, unrefined oaf with as much class as a searing release of flatulence followed by hysterical giggling at a state banquet. Is this what the people of the USA deserve?

One wonders, can Sarah Palin can see what the Russians see: a shrill, desperate demagogue more interested in making money and getting famous than in the best interests of her country; a woman so jealous of a sitting President that she takes every blow her country faces and exploits it, turning it into an even more negative, frightening moment while distracting from the real work – never once stepping into the debate to lead, to soothe, to unite.

Ms Palin’s heavily moderated Facebook page was just months ago full of comments calling for the death of our President, sedition, and the overthrowing of the Obama administration as being God’s will. Those comments were left standing while comments questioning Ms Palin in any way were scrubbed. Ms Palin stands for a level of vitriolic, simmering revulsion so steeped in delusions of self-righteousness, it’s tough to swim to sanity once you’ve been washed in the blood of her particular lamb

There's no worse feeling than that millisecond you're sure you are going to die after leaning your chair back a little too far~ ruminations
Umaril The Unfeathered

« Reply #85 on: December 05, 2010, 04:10:23 PM »

Foreign Press Says What America’s Won’t: Sarah Palin is a Traitor
http://www.politicususa.com/en/foreign-sarah-palin-traitor
Just a few juicer bits.. the entire thing is worth a read though.

What I'm about to say is not guided at you, 3mnkids, but the article, for overlooking a few of the things that seem to get lost in the desire to smear America.

Sarah Palin has made it to the big time; she’s now being called out by international media. Yesterday, the Russian newspaper Pravda (this same paper has been quoted in numerous Right Wing publications when it criticized President Obama, and was considered a paper of merit at such time) eviscerated Sarah Palin for her unrelenting attacks upon the democratically elected President, at a time when America needs to stand together, united.

At least Pravda criticized both Repub and Dem leaders, and not one sole party.

Criticism was the norm for 8 years of Bush 2, but now attacks upon Obama are wrong? 

And as far as attacking "Democratically elected leaders", I'm sure the media is busy trying to find all those ballots that were burned in the last election in November. You know, the one where the people democratically voted the Dems out of The House?

If anything is a threat to the national security of the United States of America, it is this screaming, unrefined oaf with as much class as a searing release of flatulence followed by hysterical giggling at a state banquet. Is this what the people of the USA deserve?

And the British govt. is hailed as humanitarians for releasing the Lockerbie Bomber out of sympathy (saying he only had 3 months to live) and openly spitting in the faces of the victims' families. Is that what Europe and the UK deserve, leaders who kow-tow to terrorist statehoods in the name of a better image and humanity to cover their fear of them?  Apples to oranges? Maybe, but something to consider anyway.

One wonders, can Sarah Palin can see what the Russians see: a shrill, desperate demagogue more interested in making money and getting famous than in the best interests of her country; a woman so jealous of a sitting President that she takes every blow her country faces and exploits it, turning it into an even more negative, frightening moment while distracting from the real work – never once stepping into the debate to lead, to soothe, to unite.

The Russians? Oh yeah, the govt. that secretly poisoned Ukranian president Viktor Yuschenko for his defiance of Vladimir Putin and his thugs. Not to mention the sudden disappearances or deaths of several anti-Soviet folk and leaders in the past.

Making money?  For almost 50 post WW2 years, the Russians leeched off their neighbors to feed their facade of a strong military state, and starved them poor as their leaders sat in the Kremlin enjoying caviar and vodka?  Uh...yeah, continue to criticize about money and the good life.

Racism and religious repression of exiled Holocaust survivors to the far reaches of Siberia. Josef Stalin and his mass persecution of Russo-Georgian folk. The graves they still find.

Oh back to making money: Supplying almost every Third World country with their military hardware (including Cuba, N. Korea and Vietnam, and the Middle East, and now Chavez-era venezuela.)  Wherever the US is hated, there's an AK-47 and T-80 tank.

Oh, those missiles off the coast of Florida in 1962 were just a misunderstanding... As we see, the Russians and their govt. have a LOT of room to criticize the U.S.

Ms Palin’s heavily moderated Facebook page was just months ago full of comments calling for the death of our President, sedition, and the overthrowing of the Obama administration as being God’s will. Those comments were left standing while comments questioning Ms Palin in any way were scrubbed.

Let's not forget the statements that Senator Timothy Horrigan made about Palin, that cost him a resignation from the Democratic party.

Ms Palin stands for a level of vitriolic, simmering revulsion so steeped in delusions of self-righteousness, it’s tough to swim to sanity once you’ve been washed in the blood of her particular lamb

I thought that vitriolic statements and shimmering self-righteousness was the sole property of Keith Olbermann. I guess I was wrong.
[/quote]

Malatu na nou karan.
Truth is our armor.

Malatu na bala
Truth is power.

RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #86 on: December 09, 2010, 09:30:53 PM »

If she does a hardcore sex tape,I'll vote for her..... Lookingup

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
El Misfit
[Insert witty here]
B-Movie Kraken

Hi there!

« Reply #87 on: December 09, 2010, 10:26:39 PM »

Would it make any difference if Palin was a hot, curvy and overdeveloped young 20-something woman holding a Remington and bouncing all over the place every time she
got a round off?     

C'mon, you know it would... TeddyR

As to tomboy-ishness,  it never really bothered me, as long as she's not "too" tom.

And we all know how Hollywood "women" feel about Palin, and THEY have no room to criticize either.  Are they any more ideal of a role model?

Hollywood womens' quest for immortality, thru chemical and prosthetic means ( lipo, boob-jobs, and Botox)  and the 90-pound runway models who don't eat for a year to to get that "sexy" look are no more of an image that should be promoted either.

But, to acknowledge your point, you could be onto something, in terms of Palin's tomboyishness being a problem for some women. 

only if she was black Twirling

yeah no.
Doggett
Bustin' makes me feel good !

I've seen things you people couldn't imagine...

« Reply #88 on: December 12, 2010, 09:38:47 AM »

Small | Large

TeddyR

If God exists, why did he make me an atheist? Thats His first mistake.
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #89 on: December 12, 2010, 11:12:45 AM »

LOL!!!!

BTW, I think that quoting PRAVDA, the mouthpiece of the most evil and repressive regime of the 20th century, is not going to sway the opinion of any conservative - and probably not many liberals.  They have, shall we say, some credibility issues.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Television  |  The Palin Phenomenon « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.