Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 04:16:42 PM
714413 Posts in 53097 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Need Help: Bad Cinematography « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Need Help: Bad Cinematography  (Read 9249 times)
InformationGeek
Leader of the Friends' for Info
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Let's all be Friends.

« on: November 30, 2010, 10:42:28 PM »

Hey guys, I got another project involving movies yet again.  I need some help here.  Can you name any movies with bad cinematography.  I can spot almost everything else with what's wrong with a movie besides cinematography.  Can you name some movies so I can check them out?

We live in quite an interesting age. You can tell someone's sexual orientation and level of education from just their interests.
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2010, 11:53:56 PM »

Any Larry Buchanan film. No imagination. No set ups. No angles No lighting. Just plain dull. BAD!

Example....

Small | Large

On the opposite end...watch the EVIL DEAD...or Karl Freunds great work at the beginning of DRACULA or the MUMMY....
To me...scenes in a movie should be shot like you would draw panels in a comic strip...don't make every panel the same-use different angles,lighting,shadows....
A good example,I think-
1932's the OLD DARK HOUSE...old Eva is talking to Gloria Stuart in her bedroom...but watch at about in the middle of the clip how the candles frame old Eva's face...and then distorts it...and this is just a tame scene of a conversation! Great work!

Small | Large

It's all about being artistic! Imagination! The great thing about film is you can distort it....make the unreal real. Larry Buchanan does talking heads.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2010, 11:56:43 PM by RCMerchant » Logged

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
ulthar

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2010, 12:10:56 AM »

Well, MANOS is an obvious example...shooting night scenes at night rather than the more common daytime shoot with reduced apertures (and creative lighting) is very risky.

It's probably easier to list examples of extremely GOOD cinematography.  My entry here would be the sailing movie WIND (Jon Toll cinematographer) or anything with Dean Cundy controlling the cameras/lighting.

I would say that bad cinematography is harder to spot than bad direction; the photog guys probably tend toward being more technically "correct" given what they are instructed to do.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2010, 12:29:29 AM »

Any Larry Buchanan film. No imagination. No set ups. No angles No lighting. Just plain dull. BAD!
...On the opposite end...watch the EVIL DEAD...or Karl Freunds great work at the beginning of DRACULA or the MUMMY....
To me...scenes in a movie should be shot like you would draw panels in a comic strip...don't make every panel the same-use different angles,lighting,shadows....
A good example,I think-
1932's the OLD DARK HOUSE...old Eva is talking to Gloria Stuart in her bedroom...but watch at about in the middle of the clip how the candles frame old Eva's face...and then distorts it...and this is just a tame scene of a conversation! Great work!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5BTFqnQLi4
One of my very favorite movies, THE OLD DARK HOUSE.  I own it on VHS and DVD.

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
Jim H

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2010, 02:29:05 AM »

Hey guys, I got another project involving movies yet again.  I need some help here.  Can you name any movies with bad cinematography.  I can spot almost everything else with what's wrong with a movie besides cinematography.  Can you name some movies so I can check them out?

Do you care what budget range you're looking at?  If not, look at at the tiniest micro budgeted films you can get - the ones where the director himself does all the shooting and setups.  You'll often find some really awful stuff out there. 

Stuff like Brain Damage films.
InformationGeek
Leader of the Friends' for Info
B-Movie Site Webmaster

Let's all be Friends.

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2010, 12:33:13 PM »

Do you care what budget range you're looking at?  If not, look at at the tiniest micro budgeted films you can get - the ones where the director himself does all the shooting and setups.  You'll often find some really awful stuff out there. 

Stuff like Brain Damage films.

Budget range does not matter as long as the movie has been in theaters.  Don't care how many theaters, which is why I'm using After Last Season in my project.

We live in quite an interesting age. You can tell someone's sexual orientation and level of education from just their interests.
Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2010, 01:42:30 PM »

Good luck with that one InfoGeek. Identifying bad cinematography is difficult to do, mostly because defining it is the problem. Going online and looking it up, I saw forum after forum with people going on about bad setups, poorly composed shots, etc. I don't know if that's strictly cinematography, because to me it has more to do with film exposure, proper lighting, things like that. Someone brought up shooting night scenes at night as risky. That is true. Often it turns out horribly. Budget often matches cinematography, so low-budget often means poor cinematography, often because there simply is no cinematographer and you have a director who may be brilliant at setting up shots, but horrible at photography.

To me, you have to look at films that were intended to look good but looked bad due to bad cinematography. Blair Witch Project was supposed to look bad, and it did. I absolutely detest that "shaky camera" s**t. Gives me a headache and looks horrible. Scorcese and Coen Brothers understand that you need good steadycam and good tracking to make a great film. But the shaky camera thing, I don't know if that qualifies as bad cinematography perse.

Wow, this is a puzzler. I can think of plenty of things I don't like, but I don't know if they fit the bill of bad cinematography exactly, as bad editing and poorly composed shots are probably a big factor as well.

I'm stumped.

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
Jim H

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2010, 05:50:48 PM »

I don't know if that's strictly cinematography, because to me it has more to do with film exposure, proper lighting, things like that.

Cinematography is all of it - exposure, lighting, camera position, camera movement, framing, focusing and so forth.  Everything that has to do with what the camera sees and how it sees it, basically.  Bad lighting and exposure are just the most obvious - Blood Freak has some pretty damn poorly exposed and framed scenes, BTW, just thought of that one. 
Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2010, 05:58:19 PM »

I don't know if that's strictly cinematography, because to me it has more to do with film exposure, proper lighting, things like that.

Cinematography is all of it - exposure, lighting, camera position, camera movement, framing, focusing and so forth.  Everything that has to do with what the camera sees and how it sees it, basically.  Bad lighting and exposure are just the most obvious - Blood Freak has some pretty damn poorly exposed and framed scenes, BTW, just thought of that one. 

Well then, there you go. thanks Jim H. Shows you what I know.

So there, any film that uses the "shaky camera" bit drives me nuts, and in my opinion is very bad form. Steady-cam and smooth camera movements are far classier shooting in my opinion, and Coen Brothers are particularly good at it.

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
Doggett
Bustin' makes me feel good !

I've seen things you people couldn't imagine...

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2010, 06:33:48 PM »

Bridget Jones: The Edge of Reason.

I don't know if its directing or editing, but there is something amiss with the way that film is put together.

If God exists, why did he make me an atheist? Thats His first mistake.
El Misfit
[Insert witty here]
B-Movie Kraken

Hi there!

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2010, 07:48:01 PM »

Pluto Nash, Battle Field Earth Saga: 3000, etc

yeah no.
Neville

« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2010, 10:48:42 AM »

I noticed that the final films of Peter Hyams - those would be "The Relic" and "The End of Days" - have very poor lightning. Some scenes are so dark you can't see a damn thing. It does surprise me because they are relatively expensive films, and you'd think they wouldn't make this kind of mistakes, and also because Peter Hyams always does his own cinematography, and therefore he's supposed to be an accomplished cinematographer.

Due to the horrifying nature of this film, no one will be admitted to the theatre.
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2010, 11:14:50 AM »

The film with the worst cinematography for me is The X Files Fight The Future where it is obvious that Ward Russell doesn't know how on earth to frame a shot.

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
WildHoosier09
I'm the one who looks like he can use a keyboard
Bad Movie Lover

I've got to find out what causes this and put a st

« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2010, 10:38:06 PM »

My vote for worst would also go to "Manos" though there are a few others.  The real "Kiss of Death" is to look at how they handle dimly lit scenes.  We (humans) tend to assume that since we've been in a dark room for a while and our eyes have adjusted any camera we have on hand will do the same, but this is not so.  Camera's don't work as well as human eyes and once you get to post production and have all this badly lighted and barely visible film your options are extremely limited.

On the other end, bad cinematography is a feature of some films: "Blair Witch", "Paranormal Activity"; and "Cloverfield" are a couple where amateurish filming is used as part of the storyline.  I don't know if these would count for your project though because the bad cinematography is not a mistake, it was made purposefully that way.

The only difference between zombies and toddlers is one is cuter than the other.
ulthar

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2010, 10:58:20 PM »

The film with the worst cinematography for me is The X Files Fight The Future where it is obvious that Ward Russell doesn't know how on earth to frame a shot.

Okay, I have some experience as a free lance photographer, and I get that framing can be pinned on the cinematographer.

But, I hear a lot of directors on the commentaries of films (and in interviews) talking about framing/composition, and I just have to wonder...how much framing and composition errors (or successes, for that matter) are the fault/credit of the director vs. the cinematographer.

Carpenter/Cundey were a GREAT pair...they worked well together.  Indeed, one could argue that Carpenter (and others) let Cundey compose/frame/light his shots - to great effect.  But, well, how often does the director insist on a composition that's not the best in the world, and the cinematographer bear the brunt of the criticism for the failure?

It just seems that in recent years, the director takes credit for composition if it works (in his mind at least).  If I were given green light to direct my own masterpiece and also given the great honor of Dean Cundey as my cinematographer, I'd welcome his input and wisdom on composition. 

I'm just curious, just where the line is drawn...if it works, credit goes to the director but if is does not...blame goes to the cinematographer?  That seems to be the modern trend (not that I agree)?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Need Help: Bad Cinematography « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.