Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 11:55:37 AM
714472 Posts in 53097 Topics by 7743 Members
Latest Member: medikam
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Svengali (1983) « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Svengali (1983)  (Read 870 times)
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« on: December 02, 2010, 12:49:58 PM »

Small | Large

Jodie Foster singing her dreck tacual hit (in this TV movies universe)  "Getting Some Feeling". I'm not sure if that's what it's actually called. I have this outfit btw.

Jodie Foster as a pop singing sensation. Jodie Foster as a romantic leading lady. Not really what you'd call picture perfect casting. How about adding aging homosexual actor Peter O Toole and making it a May -December romance?  You like these people but...yeah. probably not going to be the "our movie" of many couples unless they're very weird.

Zoe Alexander (Foster) is a NYC waitress and sings in a corny bar band. A talent scout signs her and brilliant /cranky vocal coach Anton Bosnyak is tasked with giving her endless dull and repetitive vocal lessons all of which we seem to be present for. As in the original Svengali, she becomes famous but is dependent on him for her self confidence and so forth.

funny stuff- Foster goes to a record store to hear what Anton Bosnyak music sounds like. She listens for 10 seconds and goes "I'm impressed" but he isn't even singing, it's that talk singing.

- Zoe Alexander 's audience looks like they are there to see a Think Lizzy / Molly Hatchet double bill but are psyched when she does her syrupy soft rock.

- the songwriters throw in a good wink wink line "when you and I get our juices flowing" haha

-O' Tooles over the top drunken harangues "go to BLAZES!"  "stupid STUPID GIRL!"

I think Jodie Foster is one of the most beautiful women ever. Her face is fascinating and I could look at it for hours and that is definately the best part of this movie. Sufficet to say the romance does not come off in any way shape or form and seeing O Toole and Foster in bed together certainly pushed many wrong buttons.

Someone on youtube noted that this was made in the wake of the Reagan assasination attempt. It's not hard to imagine she was very affected by her unwanted presence in that huge and even historically significant story and she apparently threw herself into the singing and so forth as means of catharsis. Her singing is a little off key and quite amateurish and the material, including the above number which they do like 10 times, is pretty bad. I hope this movie helped her psychological disposition it didn't really affect mine one way or the other very much.

It's not campy enough to be awesomely bad and obviously not really a very good romance and certainly two other people would have been much better in these roles. All in all it's very hard to recommend.

3/5

« Last Edit: December 02, 2010, 01:19:12 PM by lester1/2jr » Logged
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Svengali (1983) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.