Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 18, 2024, 09:34:27 PM
712916 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  "Thats So Gay" « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: "Thats So Gay"  (Read 6229 times)
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2010, 11:33:21 AM »

The only time I describe anything as gay (other than a person who actually is) is when it really strikes me as stereotypically gay, like Bennett in Commando, a man's frilly pink shirt, Grace Jones covers of showtunes, or whatever. But then it's more of an observation than a value judgment. I don't really think it's right to use it as a general term of contempt, nor is it particularly effective. There are better words.

I will say that some of the terms that were around when I was a kid make me chuckle, like calling somebody a "gaylord." But as somebody said, the appeal is more of a retro thing.

My views on homosexuality have changed substantially in recent years. I think I'm getting more liberal with age, or maybe it's my wife's influence.

By the way, Darksider. This is the second time I've seen you speaking out against homophobia. Is something going on that's put this bee in your bonnet?
« Last Edit: December 04, 2010, 11:36:02 AM by AndyC » Logged

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Mr. DS
Master Of Cinematic Bowel Movements
B-Movie Kraken

Get this thread cleaned up or YOU'RE FIRED!!!

« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2010, 12:32:03 PM »

By the way, Darksider. This is the second time I've seen you speaking out against homophobia. Is something going on that's put this bee in your bonnet?
Nothing really to be honest.  A little history of me and homophobia though;  I wasn't always accpeting of the gay culture.  Matter of fact in high school I would snub my nose at a same sex couple holding hands.  I'd use terms like "fag" like most of my friends did.  HOWEVER, I grew up and evolved.  Today when I hear homophobia I just don't get it.  So a kid wants to cheer on the high school team?  Who cares?  Who says he's really gay and if he is...who friggin' cares?  Not everyone has to be a macho jock with a barbed wire tattoo on his bicept.  Hell, I'd bank guys like that are more apt to be gay in the long run.

DarkSider's Realm
http://darksidersrealm.blogspot.com/

"You think the honey badger cares?  It doesn't give a sh*t."  Randall
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2010, 02:02:10 PM »

Jeez, so we have that in common too. Pretty much the same story here.

I can also say that although I'm straight, as somebody who has never completely fit in, I can empathize with gays. I don't like seeing people take crap just for being different.

You had same-sex couples holding hands in your high school? I don't think anybody would have dared in my high school back in the 80s. I remember a few artsy types who were kind of effeminate, and girls who were kind of butch that we used to speculate about. No doubt there were homosexuals, but I can't remember anyone who was confirmed as such. Then again, my friends generally fit into the categories of headbangers, computer nerds and the auto shop crowd. None of them were really the sort you'd feel comfortable admitting something like that to, and they certainly wouldn't tell anybody about any unusual desires they might be having.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2010, 02:05:15 PM by AndyC » Logged

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Mr. DS
Master Of Cinematic Bowel Movements
B-Movie Kraken

Get this thread cleaned up or YOU'RE FIRED!!!

« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2010, 02:25:17 PM »

You know whats funny Andy, my brother is in his 40s.  He is unmarried and for the life of me I don't recall him ever having a steady girlfriend growing up.  I'm pretty sure he could be gay.  I know he probably wouldn't ever tell me but honestly I don't care either way. 

DarkSider's Realm
http://darksidersrealm.blogspot.com/

"You think the honey badger cares?  It doesn't give a sh*t."  Randall
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2010, 05:45:40 PM »

For some reason this topic reminds me of this video -

[<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/PwZNKntZ6CU?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/PwZNKntZ6CU?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Hope this works . . . I'm not good at embedding stuff.

Since I can't seem to get the imbed to work, here's the link . . ..  still not sure what I am doing wrong.  Oh well. Enjoy the video.

Small | Large
« Last Edit: December 04, 2010, 05:49:14 PM by indianasmith » Logged

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
3mnkids
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2010, 05:59:45 PM »

Here ya go.

PwZNKntZ6CU

There's no worse feeling than that millisecond you're sure you are going to die after leaning your chair back a little too far~ ruminations
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2010, 06:18:19 PM »

Small | Large

Funny....I googled my name once-somebody had used a drawing I drew of a vampire girl...they mentioned that I had a thing about Bela Lugosi and speculated if I was gay. Jeez. I may be a nerd,but I'll bet Iv'e gotton laid more than that guy.  Lookingup (by girls!)
« Last Edit: December 04, 2010, 06:22:26 PM by RCMerchant » Logged

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Pages: 1 [2]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  "Thats So Gay" « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.