Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 05:35:58 AM
712927 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Press Releases and Film News  |  The THING (2011) « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The THING (2011)  (Read 5090 times)
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« on: December 11, 2010, 10:18:44 AM »

How do you guys feel about this....without John Carpenter or Rob Bottin's fx...I dunno....

Small | Large

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
dean
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2010, 10:58:15 AM »

The trailer was ok until I saw the monster at the last part...  MEH!

------------The password will be: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2010, 01:07:11 PM »

The trailer was ok until I saw the monster at the last part...  MEH!
Zackly. CGI! Wheres Rob Bottin?  Question

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Sleepyskull

Well,well,well...

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2010, 10:43:04 PM »

What's p**sing me off isn't so much how they're making it, but rather the fact that it's being made at all.  Hatred

Humanity takes itself too seriously. It is the world`s original sin. - Oscar Wilde
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2010, 07:38:13 AM »

Might check it out when Netflix gets it.   The previous 2 movies were really all about the characters, and Hollywood...sigh.  It's all about the CGI.

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
Potato king
Dedicated Viewer

ölöm

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2010, 08:11:04 AM »

umm... I might just be feeding a troll here but guys, you did notice the "Fan- made trailer" part of the description, right?
Doggett
Bustin' makes me feel good !

I've seen things you people couldn't imagine...

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2010, 09:53:03 AM »

umm... I might just be feeding a troll here but guys, you did notice the "Fan- made trailer" part of the description, right?

Beat me to it. (except he's not a troll)

Haven't you guys seen Silent Hill ?

Only the bootlegged one is available at the moment.

Small | Large

I'm looking forward to it, I've read reports that its gonna be good. Even the producers have changed the release date to see if it can make more money.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2010, 09:59:41 AM by Doggett » Logged

If God exists, why did he make me an atheist? Thats His first mistake.
dean

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2010, 10:13:09 AM »

Well then I take it back, the trailer is pretty good then if it's fan made!

I am still looking forward to it, though I don't like the basic concept of a prequel for the Thing purely because you kind of know how it ends and that takes some of the fun out of it.

I'm glad Joel Edgerton is in it though, he does good stuff on occasion!

------------The password will be: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
Doc Daneeka
The Game is Finished?

It's neVer over!

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2010, 12:30:05 PM »

Yeah, for something fans cobbled together, worthy attempt. But if that were the actual trailer I wouldn't be seeing it in theaters unless it got stunning rave reviews from true scifi/horror fans.

https://www.youtube.com/user/silverspherechannel
For the latest on the fifth installment in Don Coscarelli's Phantasm saga.
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2010, 08:19:34 PM »

I thought that trailer was pretty good, a bit hackneyed, particularly with that CGI monster at the end there, but it also looked like glimpses of non-CGI effects.  We can hope that this film is a worthy homage to the two previous versions, both great movies. 

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
Jim H

« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2010, 10:56:19 PM »

The director has said of the prequel that it will have a lot of practical but also CG.  I believe he said they'd often be combined - which often works VERY well if done carefully.  One movie I'm thinking of is Laid to Rest, which did stuff like a combining a dummy actually being stabbed with a live actor - SUPER effective in a couple places.  Oftentimes it helps give the motion "weight" when it's combined with real.

Of course, time will tell.  Equally importantly to the thing is some incredible creature design, as Rob Bottin and the rest of the crew on the 1981 version is hard to top. 
ulthar

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2010, 11:47:38 PM »

Of course, time will tell.  Equally importantly to the thing is some incredible creature design, as Rob Bottin and the rest of the crew on the 1981 version is hard to top. 

I'd also like to add that equally important to the creature effects is the mood created in the 1981 version (which I think surpassed Hawkes' version).  Carpenter and the acting crew were able to make the isolation and paranoia almost like another character.  The creature effects get most of the press when talking about THE THING (1981), and yes, Bottin's work was innovative and impressive, but what really makes the film work is the whole - the story (thanks Campbell), the build-up in mood, and acting framing the fx shots, AND the fx themselves, etc.  It just ALL works. 

That, sadly, is what I fear may be lacking in just about anything out of Hollywood these days...too much emphasis on fx with no mood to capitalize on the audience reaction to those effects.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
Couchtr26

« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2010, 09:12:57 PM »

The director has said of the prequel that it will have a lot of practical but also CG.  I believe he said they'd often be combined - which often works VERY well if done carefully.  One movie I'm thinking of is Laid to Rest, which did stuff like a combining a dummy actually being stabbed with a live actor - SUPER effective in a couple places.  Oftentimes it helps give the motion "weight" when it's combined with real.

I remember Irreversible and the smashing the guys face in scene from the beginning that was a combination and worked effectively in my opinion.  It seems to work best when practical is the staple and cg is used as an assistant to bring it into better focus. 

Ah, the good old days.
Couchtr26

« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2010, 09:18:00 PM »

Carpenter and the acting crew were able to make the isolation and paranoia almost like another character.  The creature effects get most of the press when talking about THE THING (1981), and yes, Bottin's work was innovative and impressive, but what really makes the film work is the whole - the story (thanks Campbell), the build-up in mood, and acting framing the fx shots, AND the fx themselves, etc.  It just ALL works. 

That, sadly, is what I fear may be lacking in just about anything out of Hollywood these days...too much emphasis on fx with no mood to capitalize on the audience reaction to those effects.

Shoot, I wanted to comment on both in my last post.  The sense of paranoia, uncertainty and who is it, all contribute to the overall weight of the movie.  The acting is well done.  The characters and their sense of isolation is such a strong staple of it.  To be honest, when I was about 5 the effects really bothered me.  However, when I saw it again about 5 years ago, the characters and the situation seemed to reign over the screen so much more then any mere effect.  The characters and their constant questioning made you feel as though you were there with them.  Experiencing the occurrence and wondering how you would react under similar conditions. 

Ah, the good old days.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Press Releases and Film News  |  The THING (2011) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.