Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 06:17:38 AM
714393 Posts in 53096 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  I Have a Question... « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: I Have a Question...  (Read 5339 times)
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2010, 01:26:39 PM »

I enjoy both political and religious discussion.  I try not to take things personally, and very few people here . . . mostly passing stranges like Judge Death - have ever really gotten under my skin.  I will say that my ongoing dialogue with Flick in the "Let's Wax Philosophical . . . " poll thread has been on of the most interesting and civil conversations I've ever had on any subject.

Yes, there are other places to discuss these kind of things . . . but this is the only place I can discuss them with YOU GUYS!  And that is what I love about this place - not the range of topics but the range of personalities! 

But if my choice of topics gives offense, I apologize.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Raffine
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2010, 03:32:13 PM »

But if my choice of topics gives offense, I apologize.

Indy, personally I've never been offended by anything you've said or your topics.

I like the idea of a separate little corner on this board where these kind of discussions can take place. Maybe a subtopic in the off topic board for political and other potentially controversial discussions, similar to the Weird News or Whatever Happened To..? sections. I think they originally came about when those subjects threatened to overpower the off topic board.

That way when the topic is a bit more heated the participants can be told to "getta room!".  TeddyR

It's obviously up to Andrew and if he wants to monitor (or appoint a monitor for) such a potentially fiery place.

If you're an Andy Milligan fan there's no hope for you.
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2010, 06:29:56 PM »

And the answer is . . .

As hot as the discussion on politics and religion gets around here, I am sure we have seen other political and religious discussions on the web, and the ones here, I have found are far more thoughtful, intelligent, and friendly than those others. Which (IMHO) says something about the quality of posters we have on this board.

As for myself, I tend not only not to post at such poltical and religious threads, and those on Trevor's underpants, but to ignore them as well. But, that does not mean that I want to see such a time as we here cannot have thoughtful, meaningful, intelligent, and friendly discussions on politics and religion and Trevor's underpants.
Paquita

« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2010, 06:42:45 PM »

I like the idea of a separate little corner on this board where these kind of discussions can take place. Maybe a subtopic in the off topic board for political and other potentially controversial discussions, similar to the Weird News or Whatever Happened To..? sections. I think they originally came about when those subjects threatened to overpower the off topic board.

My only concern with that is it may encourage more controversial topics when, if I'm understanding correctly, they're actually discouraged here.  It appears that they almost always end with being locked because it seems that if they weren't the fight or whatever nonsense would continue until it eventually causes someone to leave the board.  I'd hate to lose someone over a fight in one of these topics.  I'd rather lose someone in a fight over whether Godzilla is superior to Gamera.

Fun Fact - I have a Trival Pursuit game with a card that says Gamera is a giant shrimp.
Andrew
Administrator

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2010, 07:28:46 PM »

My only concern with that is it may encourage more controversial topics when, if I'm understanding correctly, they're actually discouraged here.  It appears that they almost always end with being locked because it seems that if they weren't the fight or whatever nonsense would continue until it eventually causes someone to leave the board.  I'd hate to lose someone over a fight in one of these topics.  I'd rather lose someone in a fight over whether Godzilla is superior to Gamera.

Fun Fact - I have a Trival Pursuit game with a card that says Gamera is a giant shrimp.

My concern about a political board is that it would suggest that the forum caters or endorses such discussion, and politics has no place in polite discussion.  There is a reason that "politics, religion, and women" were traditionally forbidden subjects when attending a formal Mess Night.  I'm not saying that the idea does not have quite a bit of merit, it's just that I'd quite honestly prefer that we don't have political discussions.  There are plenty of other sites where that is encouraged and people can have fun applying stereotypes to their heart's desire. 

Paquita, I wonder if the Trivial Pursuit game meant Ganime, the crustacean (which I have always thought to be a mutated coconut crab) in "Yog:  Monster from Space."

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2010, 12:00:04 AM »

I hadn't thought of it that way, but it makes sense. If we carve out a niche for controversial topics, we are acknowledging that they have a place here, even if the intention is to make a place for them to be banished. With the status quo, it's something we tolerate within reason, but moving these topics to their own board would amount to a seal of approval.

I think I might go back to what I used to do, and just post endless pictures of dogs when an inflammatory topic comes along. TeddyR

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2010, 11:43:49 AM »

Andrew's concern is a valid one. I get selectively involved in political discussions, but based on what I've seen lately, it leads too often to hard feelings and bitterness and interferes with what would otherwise be two people who share a common interest in movies. You take two people who have that common interest, and once they get to the point of namecalling, their future conversations on the fun stuff this site is about become strained. That's not a good thing.

I would say no need for change in that regard. People will start such discussions in the Off Topic board, and if these discussions get out of hand then Andrew may make the executive decision to shut it down. The rest of us can use our free-will to either participate in or avoid threads. I mean, I'm all for Off Topic discussion of any type, but what are we really here for?

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
Ed, Ego and Superego

« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2010, 02:54:17 PM »

I'm to the point of just ignoring them.
Ditto.

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?

Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
Raffine

« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2010, 04:42:55 PM »

but what are we really here for?

To sing the praises of Andy Milligan!

If you're an Andy Milligan fan there's no hope for you.
Pages: 1 [2]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  I Have a Question... « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.