Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 02:46:31 PM
714480 Posts in 53097 Topics by 7743 Members
Latest Member: medikam
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Press Releases and Film News  |  Universal Makes Genre Bid With SyFY Films « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Universal Makes Genre Bid With SyFY Films  (Read 8123 times)
claws
« on: December 17, 2010, 10:50:10 AM »

Syfy Ventures and Universal Pictures have teamed to create Syfy Films, a film company that will generate theatrical films that will be branded by the Syfy label and will be distributed by Universal. The hope is to leverage Syfy's genre experience in science fiction, fantasy, supernatural, and horror. The plan is to begin generating two movies per year by 2012.

The venture will be announced today by Dave Howe, president of Syfy and Chiller, Mark Stern, the exec veep of original programming and co-head of content for Universal Cable Productions, and Universal Pictures chairman Adam Fogelson and co-chairman Donna Langley.

"We know there is an incredible consumer appetite for genre content as proven by the top grossing box office films," Howe and Stern said in a statement. "Partnering our brand with the theatrical talent of Universal Pictures, a premier motion picture company, will allow us to exploit our combined expertise and resources to create commercially successful quality films that have the potential to become great franchises for the whole company."

Stern and Langley will jointly oversee the new venture, and they are looking to hire a production executive who'll be based on the Universal lot. The exec will find project and leverage Syfy's creative relationships developed through the NBC Universal network that launched in 1992 as the Sci Fi Channel. and has broadened into a website and Syfy Ventures.

"Syfy has been incredibly successful in finding ways to produce compelling entertainment for a specific audience," Fogelson and Langley said in a statement. "Joining together to find moderately budgeted projects that we can develop using their expertise and their brand is a great opportunity for both of our companies."

Source: deadline.com

Does this mean we get Super Mega Piranha on the big screen in 2012?  TeddyR
Umaril The Unfeathered
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Pelinal na vasha, racuvar! Sa yando tyavoy nagaia!

« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2010, 12:31:56 PM »

Hmm...not sure I like this.   SyFy has consistektly thrown out these cheapo CGI fests like SS Doom Trooper and some other things I care not mention. 

Universal was THE name for monsters at one time, and their unique legacy in the history of the horror film cannot be denied.  Partnering with SyFy could work for or against them, depending on how the quality of their movies changes.

It's clear that they are going to have to put better quality in their movies, and treat CGI as a beneficial tool, and not something to throw out cheapie movies that only hint at the power of the technology they're employing.  Just a thought.

Tam-Riel na nou Sancremath.
Dawn's Beauty is our shining home.

An varlais, nou bala, an kynd, nou latta.
The stars are our power, the sky is our light.

Malatu na nou karan.
Truth is our armor.

Malatu na bala
Truth is power.

Heca, Pellani! Agabaiyane Ehlnadaya!
Be gone, outsiders! I do not fear your mortal gods!

Auri-El na nou ata, ye A, Umaril, an Aran!
Aure-El is our father, and I, Umaril, the king!
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2010, 01:43:25 PM »

Well, if nothing else it should at least be interesting to see what SyFy could do if they had more money. 

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
InformationGeek
Leader of the Friends' for Info
B-Movie Site Webmaster

Let's all be Friends.

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2010, 07:53:17 PM »

Well, if nothing else it should at least be interesting to see what SyFy could do if they had more money. 

I agree.  I hope this means I'll be able to see more killer animal movies in theaters now.  Prehaps Sharkopus 2?

We live in quite an interesting age. You can tell someone's sexual orientation and level of education from just their interests.
Doggett
Bustin' makes me feel good !

I've seen things you people couldn't imagine...

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2010, 10:33:35 PM »

I agree.  I hope this means I'll be able to see more killer animal movies in theaters now.  Prehaps Sharkopus 2?

I thought you were kidding about Sharktopus.
You weren't.

I don't know to laugh or cry.  Cheers

If God exists, why did he make me an atheist? Thats His first mistake.
theedinburghbteam
Dedicated Viewer

Bringing the trash home!

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2010, 04:44:15 AM »

Christmas has came early for Eric Roberts. That and every forgotten 80's pop starlette is going to be clambering to syfy.

The Edinburgh B-Team! B-Movie double bill, every Monday at the Jekyll & Hyde Pub, Hanover Street, Edinburgh, Scotland! 7pm onwards! Free entry and free popcorn!
Umaril The Unfeathered

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2010, 12:42:25 PM »

You weren't.

Just like Virginia and her belief in Santa Claus, we can  now say with certainty that "yes, Doggett, there IS a Sharktopus. 

And you are not alone in the masses who don't know whether to laugh or cry, so I'll do both with you  BounceGiggle Bluesad

Malatu na nou karan.
Truth is our armor.

Malatu na bala
Truth is power.

Raffine

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2010, 12:47:32 PM »

Oh boy!

I can't wait for UNIVERSAL STUDIO'S OFFICIAL COPYRIGHTED IMAGE OF BELA LUGOSI AS DRACULA WITH PERMISSION FROM THE ESTATE OF BELA LUGOSI VS OCTOSHARK .

If you're an Andy Milligan fan there's no hope for you.
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2010, 01:19:43 PM »

Oh boy!

I can't wait for UNIVERSAL STUDIO'S OFFICIAL COPYRIGHTED IMAGE OF BELA LUGOSI AS DRACULA WITH PERMISSION FROM THE ESTATE OF BELA LUGOSI VS OCTOSHARK .

There is no God.

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2010, 05:10:27 PM »

I have some good news, and I have some bad news.

The good news is that SyFy is aligning itself with Universal, which can--at times--turn out a credible product.

The bad news is that Universal is aligning itself with SyFy, who seems unable to turn out a credible product.

The question then becomes who prevails in terms of picture quality. Universal or SyFy?

I suppose it doesn't matter at the box office, as--unfortunately--many of today's horror fans will--seemingly--watch anything. Credible or not.

As for myself, it is a non-issue. The only actor working today, I would pay to see in a horror film is Christopher Lee. If he is in the film, then I'll probably go see it. If he is not in the film, then I'll probably not go to see it.
Couchtr26

« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2010, 10:12:54 PM »

Universal or SyFy?

SyFy wins.  Cheap and simple wins over throwing a massive budget at something.  It seems more that Universal will just be funding to bring to theaters and less to do with actual input.  I think Syfy will attempt to better itself.  However, on that note, holding faith that things will improve beyond what is already out is dim. 

Ah, the good old days.
Doggett
Bustin' makes me feel good !

I've seen things you people couldn't imagine...

« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2010, 07:29:07 PM »

You weren't.

Just like Virginia and her belief in Santa Claus, we can  now say with certainty that "yes, Doggett, there IS a Sharktopus. 

And you are not alone in the masses who don't know whether to laugh or cry, so I'll do both with you  BounceGiggle Bluesad

I'm watching Sharktopus tonight.

TeddyR

Suspension of disbelief has took its passport, jumped out the window and is heading to Australia.

If God exists, why did he make me an atheist? Thats His first mistake.
trekgeezer

We're all just victims of circumstance

« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2010, 09:02:33 AM »

This is actually not surprising.  They changed the spelling of their name because they wanted a trade markable name so they could use it to get expand into other media.

They currently get those Saturday night films from the likes of Roger Corman, The Asylum, UFO, and others in the direct to DVD market.

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
InformationGeek
Leader of the Friends' for Info
B-Movie Site Webmaster

Let's all be Friends.

« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2010, 08:29:53 PM »

This is actually not surprising.  They changed the spelling of their name because they wanted a trade markable name so they could use it to get expand into other media.

Yeah... Skiffy (That's how you say it) isn't the best name to use when they are expanding into other mediums.  It sounds like a channel that feature kid shows.

We live in quite an interesting age. You can tell someone's sexual orientation and level of education from just their interests.
Umaril The Unfeathered

« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2010, 01:54:57 PM »

Universal or SyFy?

SyFy wins.  Cheap and simple wins over throwing a massive budget at something.  It seems more that Universal will just be funding to bring to theaters and less to do with actual input.  I think Syfy will attempt to better itself.  However, on that note, holding faith that things will improve beyond what is already out is dim. 

Cheap and simple also seems to be the mindset that the industry assumes most of the viewers adhere to, and in a way it's also insulting to think so.  Not everyone's going to just sit down and watch whatever Syfy throws at them. 

Well said on the dim outlook for improving beyond what's already out there. If Hollywood and it's endless list of remakes and so-on is an indication of anything, then a dim outlook is a good place to start.

Malatu na nou karan.
Truth is our armor.

Malatu na bala
Truth is power.

Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Press Releases and Film News  |  Universal Makes Genre Bid With SyFY Films « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.