Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 05:49:20 PM
714657 Posts in 53102 Topics by 7748 Members
Latest Member: Lucinda02
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  The Steps on how to make a good comedy? « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: The Steps on how to make a good comedy?  (Read 5287 times)
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2011, 10:09:50 AM »

* If you have the urge to insert a scene where someone falls off a ladder or into a mud puddle, don't do it.

* Avoid scenes where people run down the street or a corridor yelling, "WHOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!" while someone is chasing them.

* A close-up of a guy making a bug-eyed expression while looking at a sexy woman is not funny.

* None of the above apply to the Three Stooges; they can get away with almost anything.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
The Gravekeeper
addicted to the macabre
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2011, 11:42:39 AM »

If being abused by everyone and everything is a character's schtick, it's generally unwise to make that character a completely good person. It can go from funny to downright tragic when the audience start to sympathize with the universe's plaything.

Example: A nice guy gets punched in the face by a woman after trying to strike up a polite conversation with her in the hopes of possibly asking her out. Not particularly funny (although Don Herztfeldt did manage to make a short based around this that was funny, but that was because he kept escalating the women's responses to the point of complete absurdity. Comedy has guidelines, not rules).

A selfish womanizer gets punched in the face by a woman after asking her to sleep with him. Not always funny, but has a higher chance of being funny than the above example.
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2011, 01:37:19 PM »

If being abused by everyone and everything is a character's schtick, it's generally unwise to make that character a completely good person. It can go from funny to downright tragic when the audience start to sympathize with the universe's plaything.

Example: A nice guy gets punched in the face by a woman after trying to strike up a polite conversation with her in the hopes of possibly asking her out. Not particularly funny (although Don Herztfeldt did manage to make a short based around this that was funny, but that was because he kept escalating the women's responses to the point of complete absurdity. Comedy has guidelines, not rules).

A selfish womanizer gets punched in the face by a woman after asking her to sleep with him. Not always funny, but has a higher chance of being funny than the above example.

Either give the character flaws, or at least build in a sufficient amount of justice for him. Not necessarily a big comeuppance for his abusers. Just having Karma even things out in little ways will make a difference. Either way will lessen the perception of unfairness.

That's an important rule, actually. Fairness. As much fun as it can be to thoroughly abuse characters, a comedy does require things to balance out in the end. The bad guy gets sufficiently punished for the harm he's done, and the hero gets sufficiently compensated for everything he's gone through. It is, of course, possible to make a joke of the movie turning out completely unfairly, but generally you want everybody to get what's coming to them.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Jim H
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2011, 01:20:38 AM »

Either give the character flaws, or at least build in a sufficient amount of justice for him. Not necessarily a big comeuppance for his abusers. Just having Karma even things out in little ways will make a difference. Either way will lessen the perception of unfairness.

That's an important rule, actually. Fairness. As much fun as it can be to thoroughly abuse characters, a comedy does require things to balance out in the end. The bad guy gets sufficiently punished for the harm he's done, and the hero gets sufficiently compensated for everything he's gone through. It is, of course, possible to make a joke of the movie turning out completely unfairly, but generally you want everybody to get what's coming to them.

Sometimes that's not enough for me, especially when it feels forced.  That's why I've come to despise certain modern comedies like Meet the Parents and Anger Management.  You know, films with good people who suffer endless abuses for reasons beyond their control, suffer constantly, then have a miraculously happy wrap up ending. 

Basically, I didn't like the story of Job in the bible, and having it occur in a comedy just makes it even worse.
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2011, 10:33:56 AM »

Sometimes that's not enough for me, especially when it feels forced.  That's why I've come to despise certain modern comedies like Meet the Parents and Anger Management.  You know, films with good people who suffer endless abuses for reasons beyond their control, suffer constantly, then have a miraculously happy wrap up ending. 

Basically, I didn't like the story of Job in the bible, and having it occur in a comedy just makes it even worse.

That's a good rule for any movie. The happy ending should feel somewhat earned by the characters, not handed to them as an act of charity.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
moviegoersclub
New Visitor

« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2011, 02:21:06 AM »

When I watched a lot of Hollywood comedies,I found a rules that there must be sex, love, drugs, colleges, money in the USA  comedies,but the Franch comedies give us humour,fun and thoughts.That may be  the difference between Hollywood and Franch movie.
Pages: 1 [2]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  The Steps on how to make a good comedy? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.