Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 18, 2024, 11:41:02 PM
712920 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  "Rental" Copy? Say what? « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: "Rental" Copy? Say what?  (Read 12602 times)
BTM
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: December 27, 2010, 06:53:25 PM »

So, I got the film Scott Pilgrim vs The World a few weeks back from Netflix (a GREAT movie, BTW), and when I put the dvd in it had this notice on saying this was only a RENTAL copy of the movie, and that it did not have any of the bonus features, and in order to see those I had to buy a regular copy of the film somewhere.

Say what??

I clicked on Special Features and it had a whole list of them, but anything I tried to play I, once again, got the "This is a rental copy" thing.

Has anyone ever seen/heard about this before?

I mean, I've rented movies where Netflix would have two discs, one with the movie and the other labelled Bonus Features, and I've rented films where they'd just have the movie and a selection for languages but I figured it was one of those "Bare bones" edition of the films where they release that and then come up with an "ultra" edition or some such later.  But now I'm starting to wonder if maybe some of the previous films I've gotten were rental copies as well.  

For instance, when I got the new Nightmare on Elm Street (2009 version) I noticed it had "Netflix Copy" printed on the disc and, again, no bonus features.  Also noticed Kick Ass had no features on it, even though I remember seeing an ad for the DVD that promised an alternate ending and several extra scenes among other things.  Didn't think too much about it, just figured again, the cool extra stuff was on another disc.

Does anyone know the logic behind making discs without any extra features?  I mean, is this to cut back theft of rental DVDS or something?  And what do they do with these things when the store doesn't need them anymore?  I mean, if I bought a DVD, I want all the bells and whistles with it, not just the basic package.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2010, 01:21:12 PM by BTM » Logged

"Some people mature, some just get older." -Andrew Vachss
Criswell
i got better
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2010, 08:08:03 PM »

It appears Netflix is getting greedy. Blockbuster never had rental copies!

Pilgermann

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2010, 08:35:43 PM »

I've gotten DVD's from the Red Box that are the same way (Curious Case of Benjamin Button), but it makes sense to me.  I'd imagine the thinking behind it is that if someone enjoys the film enough and wants to dig into featurettes and whatnot, then they'll probably end up buying a retail copy.

Mofo Rising
Global Moderator

My cat can eat a whole watermelon!

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2010, 12:10:46 AM »

Basically, the studios think they are not making enough money selling DVD's. They blame this in part on the rise of Netflix and Redbox. I would imagine that they cut a deal with Netflix to ship stripped down DVD's as "rental copies."

Studio interference is also the reason you have to wait 28 days after a DVD release to rent it on Netflix.

Every dead body that is not exterminated becomes one of them. It gets up and kills. The people it kills, get up and kill.
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2010, 08:56:44 AM »

Never heard of that before, can't say it surprises me though.  I suppose next they'll start putting commercials in the rental version, and if you want to watch it commercial-free you'll have to buy it.  Oh well, all the crap I watch is made by people who can't afford to release multiple versions of the DVD anyway.

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2010, 11:15:08 AM »

I've gotten DVD's from the Red Box that are the same way (Curious Case of Benjamin Button), but it makes sense to me.  I'd imagine the thinking behind it is that if someone enjoys the film enough and wants to dig into featurettes and whatnot, then they'll probably end up buying a retail copy.

Yeah, I think it makes sense from the studio's perspective, and it's actually sort of clever.  I think it doesn't bother most people who never look at the special features, but might convince a few collectors to buy a copy rather than just settle for a rental viewing.  Gotta do something to get people to buy DVDs in an age of cheap rentals and free downloads.   

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Skull
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2010, 01:56:37 PM »

Somewhat true... but I believe it's less sinister then that...

I've been renting from netflix for almost 3 years and I have seen several saying "Copies" and so far I believe I had 15 (or more) broken DVD's thru the mail. So I believe it's better for Netflix to ship "copies" then originals since they can always reproduce a missing/broken DVD and it'll be much cheaper on the rentor.

The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2010, 08:42:31 AM »

When I was about 10 years old, I won a Bobby Vinton album from a radio "call in" show.  When it arrived, it had a stamp at the bottom of the cover that said, "Promotional use only.  Not for sale."  But I digress . . . 

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
the ghoul
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2010, 11:43:06 PM »

Who cares!  I don't need no steenking special features!
Umaril The Unfeathered

Pelinal na vasha, racuvar! Sa yando tyavoy nagaia!

« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2010, 09:37:18 AM »

I've been renting from netflix for almost 3 years and I have seen several saying "Copies" and so far I believe I had 15 (or more) broken DVD's thru the mail. So I believe it's better for Netflix to ship "copies" then originals since they can always reproduce a missing/broken DVD and it'll be much cheaper on the rentor.

Another possibility is that volume rentals of "copies" thru Red Box and Netflix (in lieu of actual original official copies) may be done to raise revenue to help the studios produce proper, working versions of the movie with the proper bonus material that people will eventually want.   

Also, it may be an extra help in keeping costs down, as well as the possibility that Red Box and Netflix get financial incentives from the studios for doing so as they help promote the movies thru their rentals.

Tam-Riel na nou Sancremath.
Dawn's Beauty is our shining home.

An varlais, nou bala, an kynd, nou latta.
The stars are our power, the sky is our light.

Malatu na nou karan.
Truth is our armor.

Malatu na bala
Truth is power.

Heca, Pellani! Agabaiyane Ehlnadaya!
Be gone, outsiders! I do not fear your mortal gods!

Auri-El na nou ata, ye A, Umaril, an Aran!
Aure-El is our father, and I, Umaril, the king!
Jim H

« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2011, 01:35:06 AM »

They can't just produce more copies, they have to buy them.  But yes, if special "rental copies" are cheaper for Netflix, that's a good thing for everyone. 

On that note, there's probably nothing sinister in this - I doubt Netflix had control over this.  They'd probably prefer the versions with the features, as that makes them more enticing to renters.  Likely it's all the studios doing. 
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2011, 04:11:21 AM »

When I was about 10 years old, I won a Bobby Vinton album from a radio "call in" show.  When it arrived, it had a stamp at the bottom of the cover that said, "Promotional use only.  Not for sale."  But I digress . . . 

Buggedout Buggedout

That happened to me when I won the Streets Of Fire soundtrack in the 1980s.

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Umaril The Unfeathered

Pelinal na vasha, racuvar! Sa yando tyavoy nagaia!

« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2011, 08:49:03 PM »

Buggedout Buggedout

I used to go to record shows when I was younger, and one time I found a promotional copy of Raven:MAD, by the British metal trio Raven, a personal favorite band of mine.  The album had the promotional disclaimer printed on the plastic sleeve.  And it was in perfect shape too.  I still have it among my LP collection.

Tam-Riel na nou Sancremath.
Dawn's Beauty is our shining home.

An varlais, nou bala, an kynd, nou latta.
The stars are our power, the sky is our light.

Malatu na nou karan.
Truth is our armor.

Malatu na bala
Truth is power.

Heca, Pellani! Agabaiyane Ehlnadaya!
Be gone, outsiders! I do not fear your mortal gods!

Auri-El na nou ata, ye A, Umaril, an Aran!
Aure-El is our father, and I, Umaril, the king!
voltron

« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2011, 06:49:47 PM »

Buggedout Buggedout

I snagged a promo-only copy of 27's 'Holding On For Brighter Days' off eBay for like five bucks.

I used to go to record shows when I was younger, and one time I found a promotional copy of Raven:MAD, by the British metal trio Raven, a personal favorite band of mine.  The album had the promotional disclaimer printed on the plastic sleeve.  And it was in perfect shape too.  I still have it among my LP collection.

"Nothin' out there but God's little creatures - more scared of you than you are of them"  - Warren, "Just Before Dawn"
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  "Rental" Copy? Say what? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.