Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 05:40:20 PM
714415 Posts in 53097 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  An awful, stinky, sucky evening! « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: An awful, stinky, sucky evening!  (Read 5383 times)
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« on: January 05, 2011, 11:25:38 PM »

The day at work was pleasant enough - I enjoy teaching, and the kids were pretty good today.  One of my daughters was home sick, the other was with me as we stopped to get some goat food before heading home.  We got in and the bad stuff started.

As I'm lugging the 50 pound feed sacks down to the barn, I saw that the two kids that were born to one of our nannies yesterday were both down - one dead, the other dying.  Their mom had a nice full bag and was letting them nurse, but her milk had not yet dropped and the poor things had starved in their first 24 hours of life!  I took the one that was still alive to the house and we spent half the evening trying to save it, but it died around 7 PM. 

Not a half hour later, I get a call from our vet.  The field dogs had killed a skunk Saturday, and one of them got nipped on the nose.  He was a young Pyrennes/Anatolian mix we got this summer, and as it turned out, he had never gotten his rabies shot (he was 5 months when we got him, 1 month too young for that vaccination).  We quarantined the dog and our vet shipped the skunk off to Austin - and sure enough, he was rabid.  We are going to have to put the dog down.

My girls don't know how to love anything a little bit.  Becca in particular, who lives with constant, crippling headaches, was devastated.  I hate losing animals, but far worse, I hate seeing my girls with broken hearts.  What a miserable evening!

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
retrorussell
In the town of Valentine Bluffs, there are many ways to die. Take your pick.
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Hanniger! I'll be waiting in HELL for you!

« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2011, 12:28:37 AM »

Sorry to hear that, Indy.  Things will get better.  Losing an animal that's close to you sucks hard.  My condolences.

"O the legend they say, on a Valentine's Day, is a curse that'll live on and on.."
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2011, 06:06:38 AM »

Sorry about that, Indy.

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2011, 07:12:09 AM »

Oh man, that's terrible.  You have my sincerest sympathies Indy.

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
indianasmith
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2011, 07:17:17 AM »

Thanks guys!  Next day is a little easier . . . if we don't think about it too much.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Trevor
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2011, 07:30:45 AM »

Thanks guys!  Next day is a little easier . . . if we don't think about it too much.

I hope that today will be better for you.  Thumbup

ulthar

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2011, 07:36:44 AM »

Losing an animal is indeed tough, and seeing your children try to cope with that loss without much of life's context is even harder.

The silver lining is the wonderful (as in spiritually challenging!) lesson for your daughters.  Seeing the way YOU handle this will help them long term.  Yes, it's hard (on all) of you NOW...but that's the point.  Learning to cope with loss and challenges in life is no small matter.

And I have no doubt you are already doing this, I just wanted to put it out there. 

Blessings and Peace,

JR

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
Umaril The Unfeathered

Pelinal na vasha, racuvar! Sa yando tyavoy nagaia!

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2011, 09:54:24 AM »

Sorry to hear that, Indy.  Things will get better.  Losing an animal that's close to you sucks hard.  My condolences.

Losing an animal that's close to you sucks hard.

My Yellow Lab had to be put down in 1998 at the ripe old age of 14. It was the hardest thing I'd ever had to do; but not as hard as personally saying goodbye to a pet before his euthanization..

No matter how many times I hugged him and no matter how many times I kept seeing this happy little puppy that went with me whereever I went, the reality of the sick broken down animal before me hit me like a brick.  It's taken me about a half hour to write this; it's hard to type through tears, so I'll stop now.

Indy, you have my sympathies as well. It will pass, but it's gonna' hurt like hell. I hope things will get better for you. 

Tam-Riel na nou Sancremath.
Dawn's Beauty is our shining home.

An varlais, nou bala, an kynd, nou latta.
The stars are our power, the sky is our light.

Malatu na nou karan.
Truth is our armor.

Malatu na bala
Truth is power.

Heca, Pellani! Agabaiyane Ehlnadaya!
Be gone, outsiders! I do not fear your mortal gods!

Auri-El na nou ata, ye A, Umaril, an Aran!
Aure-El is our father, and I, Umaril, the king!
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2011, 10:31:23 AM »

That's the tough thing. I put down my old dog last summer, and it was sad, but it was also something I'd been anticipating for a while. Losing two brand-new baby animals must be especially hard, especially when it was something that might have been prevented if anyone had known. That's got to be frustrating. And losing a young dog on top of that. Just awful.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Cthulhu

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2011, 10:46:23 AM »

I'm sorry about your animals, and kids.
It must hurt to lose one of your dogs.
Umaril The Unfeathered

Pelinal na vasha, racuvar! Sa yando tyavoy nagaia!

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2011, 11:02:52 AM »

That's the tough thing. I put down my old dog last summer, and it was sad, but it was also something I'd been anticipating for a while. Losing two brand-new baby animals must be especially hard, especially when it was something that might have been prevented if anyone had known. That's got to be frustrating. And losing a young dog on top of that. Just awful.

I'd agree. Losing baby animals is a hard thing, knowing the uphill battle all infants have to survive. Watching something fight as hard as possible and then lose the battle is emotionally painful.

However, it's a given that survival rates among baby animals are initially low, and we know it might happen to begin with.  The playing field is levelled for all newborns in the animal kingdom in this way, but it's still of little consolation when and if a death (or deaths) occur.  Bluesad

Be that as is, it also hurts like hell when you've had a pet for 10, 12 years and suddenly there's nothing but an empty food dish or an empty cage to stare at.   

For that time period they were alive, they were part of your life, and you saw them when you left the house and when you came home later.  It also marks a timeline in your life too.   Be it young or old, losing a pet is an equally hurtful experience  Bluesad

Tam-Riel na nou Sancremath.
Dawn's Beauty is our shining home.

An varlais, nou bala, an kynd, nou latta.
The stars are our power, the sky is our light.

Malatu na nou karan.
Truth is our armor.

Malatu na bala
Truth is power.

Heca, Pellani! Agabaiyane Ehlnadaya!
Be gone, outsiders! I do not fear your mortal gods!

Auri-El na nou ata, ye A, Umaril, an Aran!
Aure-El is our father, and I, Umaril, the king!
Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2011, 11:25:36 AM »

An awful, stinky, sucky evening pretty much says it all.

Yes, I agree, how you deal with it will help you children get through and also teach them valuable life lessons.

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
Trevor
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2011, 02:28:24 PM »

This reminds me of the day some colleagues and I went back to our holdings building to find that one of our almost tame rock hyraxes had died and the other had fled. That was nearly a year ago and I still am not over that. I miss those little buggers terribly.  Bluesad

indianasmith
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2011, 11:18:34 PM »

We got some great news today - the health dept. no longer requires dogs to be put down if they've been exposed to rabies!  They do a regimen of three shots - one within a week of exposure, one three weeks later, and then one five weeks after that.  We'll have to keep Vicious (that's the dog's name, a misnomer if I ever heard one!) quarantined for 90 days, but we get to keep him!! Cheers

You should have seen my girls' faces light up when I told them!!! Buggedout BounceGiggle TeddyR

Life is good  tonight. Smile

BTM

« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2011, 12:38:40 AM »

We got some great news today - the health dept. no longer requires dogs to be put down if they've been exposed to rabies!  They do a regimen of three shots - one within a week of exposure, one three weeks later, and then one five weeks after that.  We'll have to keep Vicious (that's the dog's name, a misnomer if I ever heard one!) quarantined for 90 days, but we get to keep him!! Cheers

You should have seen my girls' faces light up when I told them!!! Buggedout BounceGiggle TeddyR

Life is good  tonight. Smile

Shoot, I hate to be a downer, but is there still a chance he got rabies from the bite? 

Well, I hope everything works out okay!

"Some people mature, some just get older." -Andrew Vachss
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  An awful, stinky, sucky evening! « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.