Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 04:01:41 AM
712925 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Movies about ghosts « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Movies about ghosts  (Read 7192 times)
WyreWizard
Bad Movie Lover

« on: January 25, 2011, 04:20:55 PM »

Yes, I'm here to talk about movies about ghosts or more specifically, Ghost with Demi Moore and Patrick Swayze and Ghostbusters.  Now I'm going to tell you that some of the facts these movies present about ghosts are completely wrong.  How do I know this?  Because I had a Life Between Lives hypnotherapy session so I know the true nature of ghosts and spirits.

Now the biggest mistake most movies make about ghosts is they make them appear human.  I'm sorry to say that in the spirit world, spirits don't even look human.  They look like balls of light.  Though some spirits can project humanlike images.

The one part of Ghost that made me laugh the most was when Willy Lopez was killed.  He was smashed between 2 cars and his ghost was flung out of his body and hit the ground.  His ghost lay there stunned.  HELLO!  Ghosts are energy, not physical.  They wouldn't be catapulted out of a body to hit the ground and be stunned.  What was even laughable was when the demons from Hell came to claim his spirit to drag him into Hell.  We see how those demons slapped Willy around.  Impossible.  You can't slap a spirit.  They have no physical body or nervous system.  They wouldn't react to being hit.  Energy passes through energy.  So one spirit can't slap, punch or kick another.

On Ghostbusters the one most laughable things is the equipment these guys use, proton packs with neutrona blasters.  The energy these neutrona blasters shoot curves and squiggles.  This is completely wrong on all levels.  First off, 99.9% of the time, energy travels in straight lines.  The only time energy doesn't travel in a straight line is in the case of lightning.  Energy never moves in circles, curves and squiggles.  And these things hurt and paralyze ghosts?  Unrealistic on every level.  First off, nothing in the physical world can affect a spirit.  Spirits can move through things that would incinerate a human being.  And they can do this wil no ill effects to themselves.

Babe, I'm leaving.  I must be on my way.  The time is drawing near.  The train is going.  I see it in your eyes.  The love beneath your tears.  And I'll be lonely without you.  And I'll need your love to see me through.  So please me.  My heart is your hands.  And I'll be missing you...
claws
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2011, 12:01:18 AM »

"People are so stupid, they will accept whatever I present to them as factual."

Off topic but I'm impressed by your karma, and I really mean it :)
Umaril The Unfeathered
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Pelinal na vasha, racuvar! Sa yando tyavoy nagaia!

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2011, 12:35:58 AM »

"People are so stupid, they will accept whatever I present to them as factual."

Off topic but I'm impressed by your karma, and I really mean it :)

Well to get this thread moving forward, (and in topic w\regard to ghosts) how about we start with the ever-great 1965 classic Nightmare Castle with the lovely Barbara Steele?  To this day, this is still my favorite of the 'revenge from beyond the grave' genre of movies. 

And,  the line between reality and fantasy is properly blurred until the right moment when the movie begans to hatch the egg and you realize that something very diabolical is taking place and shaping up for the final shocking conclusion.  A very effective movie to this day!

How about we add one more to sweeten the deal? Barbara Steele's 1960 hit Castle Of Blood?  Based on Edgar Allen Poe's short story entitled Danse Macabre.   Lot's of ghosties in that one! And I have to admit, Barbara was at her most gorgeous in this one, when she was all of about 20 or 21. She was so hot in this one.  Her co-star, George Riviere, was a very lucky man!  Smile

Tam-Riel na nou Sancremath.
Dawn's Beauty is our shining home.

An varlais, nou bala, an kynd, nou latta.
The stars are our power, the sky is our light.

Malatu na nou karan.
Truth is our armor.

Malatu na bala
Truth is power.

Heca, Pellani! Agabaiyane Ehlnadaya!
Be gone, outsiders! I do not fear your mortal gods!

Auri-El na nou ata, ye A, Umaril, an Aran!
Aure-El is our father, and I, Umaril, the king!
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2011, 12:40:18 AM »

Yeah...ok,Edgar Cayce Jr... so you learned the secrets of the Other World with a "Life Between Lives Hypnopsychobabble Bulls**t Session"? And people say I'm crazy.....but-no hard feelings! I added to your impressive karma for old times sake.  Smile

Does 1963's THE HAUNTING meet your insightful standerds -being as you know the true nature of ghosts and spirits?

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2011, 07:49:33 AM »

Ghosts do look like little glowing balls of light.  If you go to a dusty room and shine a bright light in there, you can capture lots of them on camera  TeddyR

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
Silverlady
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2011, 08:13:59 AM »

Ghosts do look like little glowing balls of light.  If you go to a dusty room and shine a bright light in there, you can capture lots of them on camera  TeddyR

BounceGiggle BounceGiggle BounceGiggle BounceGiggle

Hold onto your dreams ....
El Misfit
[Insert witty here]
B-Movie Kraken

Hi there!

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2011, 12:20:45 AM »

Now the biggest mistake most movies make about ghosts is they make them appear human.  I'm sorry to say that in the spirit world, spirits don't even look human.  They look like balls of light.  Though some spirits can project humanlike images.

And just how do we know that? you can be right, or be wrong.

The one part of Ghost that made me laugh the most was when Willy Lopez was killed.  He was smashed between 2 cars and his ghost was flung out of his body and hit the ground.  His ghost lay there stunned.  HELLO!  Ghosts are energy, not physical.  They wouldn't be catapulted out of a body to hit the ground and be stunned.  What was even laughable was when the demons from Hell came to claim his spirit to drag him into Hell.  We see how those demons slapped Willy around.  Impossible.  You can't slap a spirit.  They have no physical body or nervous system.  They wouldn't react to being hit.  Energy passes through energy.  So one spirit can't slap, punch or kick another.

On Ghostbusters the one most laughable things is the equipment these guys use, proton packs with neutrona blasters.  The energy these neutrona blasters shoot curves and squiggles.  This is completely wrong on all levels.  First off, 99.9% of the time, energy travels in straight lines.  The only time energy doesn't travel in a straight line is in the case of lightning.  Energy never moves in circles, curves and squiggles.  And these things hurt and paralyze ghosts?  Unrealistic on every level.  First off, nothing in the physical world can affect a spirit.  Spirits can move through things that would incinerate a human being.  And they can do this wil no ill effects to themselves.

so I'm guessing that you don't care for Fiction then?

yeah no.
Killer Bees
Newly Appointed Government Employee and

Never give up on love

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2011, 07:48:10 AM »

Yeah...ok,Edgar Cayce Jr... so you learned the secrets of the Other World with a "Life Between Lives Hypnopsychobabble Bulls**t Session"? And people say I'm crazy.....but-no hard feelings! I added to your impressive karma for old times sake.  Smile

Does 1963's THE HAUNTING meet your insightful standerds -being as you know the true nature of ghosts and spirits?

RC, if any of us tell you that you're crazy, you know we only say it with the utmost love and affection, right?   TeddyR

Flower, gleam and glow
Let your power shine
Make the clock reverse
Bring back what once was mine
Heal what has been hurt
Change the fates' design
Save what has been lost
Bring back what once was mine
What once was mine.......
Pilgermann

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2011, 11:41:15 AM »

BounceGiggle BounceGiggle BounceGiggle BounceGiggle

Oh, those spooky dust motes!  I was on a tour of the Ohio State Reformatory a few years back and lots of people on the tour were hoping to photograph a spook or two, and I remember hearing one lady say, "I got an orb on that one!"  *sigh*  It's a neat place to visit if you have the opportunity, though.

Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2011, 10:08:29 AM »

I remember the movie Ghost Story (1981) based on the Peter Straub novel of the same name creeped me out when I was a young man. And I haven't watched it since then. I have a feeling that I would hate it if I watched it now, and so I've refrained from watching it, perhaps out of a desire not to lose what impact it had back then.

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2011, 12:41:13 PM »

I'm just going to ignore WyreWizard and talk about good ghost movies. Two of my favourites are Kubrick's adaptation of The Shining, and The Changeling, with George C. Scott. The Shining is just an all-around fun, creepy, atmospheric movie.

The Changeling I like because it produces some great scares with very little. It does a good job of getting across that sense of being the only one in a big, old house, but feeling like you might not be alone. A simple thing like a door opening behind a character, or a ball bouncing down the stairs is enough to give goosebumps. Ghost stories can take a couple of different approaches. In many, the ghosts are scary because they look scary, they do scary things, they behave threateningly, or they cause actual harm. Then there are the ghosts that are scary in and of themselves. They frighten us just by being there. That's the sort of movie The Changeling is, although the scariness starts to fade as we learn who the ghost is and what it wants, and the story takes a different tack from there.

The Shining doesn't entirely give up the idea of a haunted hotel being scary just because it's haunted, but it goes the other way. The ghosts are scary because they appear scary, they give people scary visions, and they attempt to do harm through susceptible people.

Both came out the same year, when ghost stories seemed to be in fashion. Late 1979 to early 1980 saw the release of The Amityville Horror, The Fog, The Changeling and The Shining.  It's interesting to compare The Shining and The Changeling, when both employ a great deal of atmosphere and mood, and play on that idea of being alone in a big, old building, and the protagonist having some quality that draws ghosts to him. The ghosts in the Overlook Hotel are drawn and strengthened by the mental powers of Danny, and to a lesser extent, Jack. The ghost in The Changeling is drawn to Scott's character because he is grieving the loss of his family.

Actually, the four big 1979-80 ghost movies would make for a fun movie night.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Hammock Rider

« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2011, 02:09:20 PM »

Beetlejuice
Field of Dreams kind of counts
House
Lady in White
The Frighteners

and the Great Grand Daddy of them all...

Small | Large

Jumping Kings and Making Haste Ain't my Cup of Meat
RD
Bad Movie Lover

I make the bad movies.

« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2011, 02:37:07 PM »

How come Patrick Swayze had a hard time opening door knobs or touching people, but he has no troubles walking up and down steps and into subway cars???

Movie's busted, Case closed.

Now let's find out if Casper truly is the ghost of Richie Rich.

=== ===
           Go Robo!
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2011, 03:20:02 PM »

Now I'm going to tell you that some of the facts these movies present about ghosts are completely wrong.  How do I know this?  Because I had a Life Between Lives hypnotherapy session so I know the true nature of ghosts and spirits.

If you had even one iota of credibility remaining before you posted this, it is now gone.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2011, 04:07:44 PM »

Now I'm going to tell you that some of the facts these movies present about ghosts are completely wrong.  How do I know this?  Because I had a Life Between Lives hypnotherapy session so I know the true nature of ghosts and spirits.

If you had even one iota of credibility remaining before you posted this, it is now gone.

WHAAAAAAH? I was all ready to accept that this qualified him as a ghost expert. I was all ready to hire him as an expert witness in my "the ghost made me do it" defense. Now I'm going to have to rethink this.

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Movies about ghosts « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.