Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 05:02:52 AM
714392 Posts in 53096 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  The Dark Power « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Dark Power  (Read 2188 times)
Used Meathook
Templar Knight in Training
Bad Movie Lover

« on: January 28, 2011, 01:43:37 PM »

Anybody else seen this one? I found maximum enjoyment in this cheesy little flick.

Essentially, the film involves Native American "wizards" who come up from the ground to wreck havoc. There's parts that are intentionally cheesy (such as a homage to the 3 Stooges), and parts that are unintentionally cheesy (the barebones budget for movies like this always deliver the cheese).

And check this out, the local sheriff in town uses a whip as his weapon of choice. Yes...a whip. A whip-wielding sheriff fights off zombie Native American wizards...if that isn't the plot line for a bad movie, then I don't know what is.

Think of the movie "Scalps", but then up the cheese factor by about 5. Oh, and the blatant racism within the film comes out of nowhere and is hilarious. Not hilarious because racism is funny, but because it was so oddly out of place that you could only view it as hilariously ridiculous.

For the gorehounds out there, there's a particularly nasty little nugget involving a human head. Other than that, it's pretty standard low-budget blood and gore.

Flick James
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2011, 02:44:28 PM »

I've never seen it. It's 1985, so I'll bet that the influence of Indiana Jones had something to do with a whip-wielding sheriff.  BounceGiggle

I do vaguely remember a television ad for it back in high school.

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
JayJayM12
Regulary relieves himself on hospitality...
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2011, 03:00:35 PM »

I've seen this movie MANY times - in fact I own the dvd.  It's definitely one of my favs!  The first time I saw it was in a shortened version in a Horror Remix, so admittedly, I find the short version much more tolerable.  But, still a horrible, funny, great movie overall.

Meathook is right - the racism is SO out of left field, that you really can't do anything BUT laugh at it.  The whip cracker in the movie is none other than Lash LaRue, star of many westerns back in the day.  The final showdown of Old Man With Whip vs. Native American Chief Zombie With Whip is definitely epic.  Not to mention the CONSTANT stretching/working out in a leotard by one of the main cast members.

Great moment to look out for:  when one of the women is shot with an arrow by one of the zombies, the lameness in how they attempted to pull off the effect has to be seen to be believed.  I won't spoil it...

I found the dvd at bestbuy.com for only like 5 or 6 bucks - comes with a commentary and a couple of little featurettes.  Well worth the purchase...

Check out my movie reviews and articles at:  www.cinedump.com<br /><br />Or, don\\\'t check them out - see if I care.  You\\\'re not my real mom anyway.  Unless, you are.  In which case, whatever, I\\\'ll do what I want.  It\\\'s my hot body.  Y\\\'all don\\\'t know me.
claws
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2011, 12:45:13 AM »

I was a bit disappointed with The Dark Power and Alien Outlaw. They are both pretty bad indeed, but also dull which kills the fun cheese in my opinion.
I rated both 2.5/5 as both certainly had their moments.
Used Meathook
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2011, 01:12:05 AM »

Well...I'd be lying if I said that The Dark Power picked up quite quickly, haha. Although, I didn't find myself bored during the "plot" build up like most horror flicks. Actually, I thought the build up was pretty funny and entertaining. But then again, I'm also somebody who thought the 50 uses of unnecessary slow motion sequences in Sledgehammer were entertaining too.
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2011, 07:25:15 AM »

I didn't really care for it.  "Horror" movies tend to fail for me when I'm hoping the characters will die because they're all so unlikable.  And if I remember correctly it was pretty obvious who would live and die anyway.  And it really seemed like they had a 45 minute screenplay and stretched it out to 90 minutes by just having Lash LaRue recite some dialogue for 5 minutes, several times, like he was reading out of an encyclopedia.  And wasn't there some scene where a teacher was helping a kid with his homework for 5 minutes?  And some other scene where a plumber showed up and worked on something for about 5 minutes?

Anyhow, not a favorite of mine.  Glad you got some enjoyment out of it though   TeddyR

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
Doggett
Bustin' makes me feel good !
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I've seen things you people couldn't imagine...

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2011, 07:43:40 AM »

I have this on DVD and can't remember a thing about it.

it really seemed like they had a 45 minute screenplay and stretched it out to 90 minutes

Is exactly whats wrong with it.  Lookingup

If God exists, why did he make me an atheist? Thats His first mistake.
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2011, 08:37:20 AM »

YEh. I own it. Amazing. The box is better than the film,though-

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Used Meathook
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2011, 02:28:00 PM »

"Indian zombies get heap big revenge on white man!"

...OMG, that tagline on the VHS box is priceless.  BounceGiggle
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  The Dark Power « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.