Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 07:59:08 PM
714387 Posts in 53096 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Anyone *not* like Black Swan (2010)? « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Anyone *not* like Black Swan (2010)?  (Read 7898 times)
Archivist
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2011, 02:47:00 AM »

Yikes, why did I click? Spoiler warning would have been appreciated  Bluesad

Ooh, sorry.  I didn't include it in the title, but I did write (spoilers) with what I thought was a fair bit of blank line in between.  I'll make it more prominent next time.

"Many others since have tried & failed at making a watchable parasite slug movie" - LilCerberus
Archivist

« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2011, 03:04:37 AM »

Thank you for the spoiler.  I will now stay far, far away from Black Swan.  I simply cannot tolerate "it was all a dream/it was all in [the lead character's] mind" type movies.  I HATE them.

I think it would be unfair to say it all happened in her mind.  She had some hallucinations and mental moments that were generally based upon real stimuli--some were overly paranoid reactions, but she did have valid cause for that.  Most of the movie is not in her mind or a dream.

You're right, much of the movie does take place in 'real life', but that's not my issue.  It is more that the explanation was something I deem to be utterly prosaic - she was going mad.  Sure, we all watch B-movies and everything is about alien invasions and cursed artefacts, but throughout the movie it looked like she was going nuts, and lo and behold, she was.  I felt like I was let down, that the plot should have somehow twisted in a way that was something other than how it appeared.

I can see how the movie can be thought of as an depiction of how she transitions from White Swan into Black Swan; in some ways her personal journey of exploration of the darker side of her nature.  Seduced by her director, pushed by her mother to be something regardless of the cost, reacting violently against something she is not or does not wish to be.  But for me, it all boils down to the end.  She cracked and all of the creepy stuff was in her head.  Umm... that's all?

I get your point about Sucker Punch, regarding how the action is a series of empowering fantasies that match or embellish what they are doing in 'real life'.  But to me, it still seems like a waste; that the protagonists are engaging in a very obvious self-deception to make the most of a bad situation.  Maybe we're both wrong about Sucker Punch, and that the title itself is a clue that premise of the movie will be fundamentally different from how it is marketed.  Maybe it will actually be satisfying despite what I consider a dodgy plot device.  But I don't think Hollywood is that clever.

"Many others since have tried & failed at making a watchable parasite slug movie" - LilCerberus
MrMari

Keepin' my pimp hand strong since 1975.

« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2011, 08:44:46 AM »

I enjoyed the first hour or so. After that the theme just dragged on and on. I was like, "ok, I got it thanks."

neo1973
New Visitor

« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2011, 08:15:36 PM »

but I just saw this movie and I hate it for almost exactly the opposite reasons you did.  I thought the movie was entirely predictable, the metaphors were relevant but played out on screen outrageously.  Aronofsky thinks so much of himself he condescends to his audience.  I'm sure he imagined everyone watching to start saying "ooooooohhhhh, so THATS why thats been happening.  HOW CLEVER!" 

Except it wasn't clever.

*spoilers ahead*

I didn't need to see her sprout wings and feathers to realize that she had 'become' the black swan.  Nor was I surprised at the 'surprise' ending, only I thought she would just jump off the wrong side to her demise.  The whole 'black swan emerging from her' thing was just completely overplayed and contrived.

"OMG, was that an evil her in the mirror?  oooo, scary!!"
"Geez, that Tomas is such a jerk, always trying to get down Nina's pants.  What a jer...  oh wait.  What?  Oh, he's trying to provoke her to get the black swan come out?!?!  GENIUS!!"

Seriously, I could have shoved a crayon up my dog's ass and had him squat over a piece of paper and written a more suspenseful, thought provoking film than this.  Hollywood should be ashamed of itself for propping up such a ridiculous film as a masterpiece. 
Pages: 1 [2]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Anyone *not* like Black Swan (2010)? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.