Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 02:28:52 AM
712922 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Fact Of The Day « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 82 83 [84] 85 86 ... 127
Author Topic: Fact Of The Day  (Read 628715 times)
BoyScoutKevin
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #1245 on: January 14, 2018, 03:23:19 PM »

A dozen facts about the Nutcracker Ballet.

The fact is . . .

01. The parts of Clara and the Nutcracker Prince in the ballet were originally written for children--a girl and a boy.

02. Now the roles are mainly performed by adults--women and men.

03. Yet the roles are still performed by children. More often Clara than the Nutcracker Prince.

04. For example Clara by Mackenzie Foy in the film The Nutcracker and the 4 Realms, when she'll be 17 years and 51 weeks old, when the film opens in the U.S. this year (2018.)

05. Still the role of the Nutcracker Prince is still danced by a pre-teen boy or teenage boy.

06. Of a hundred different performances of the Nutcracker Ballet, perhaps, 1 in 5 or 20% the role is still danced by a boy.

07. For example, Macaulay Culkin who danced the role on stage and in the film version of the ballet.

08. When it was originally performed in Russia in the 1890s, it was not a success.

09. It was not considered a success till the 1950s and George Balanchine's version of it in New York (New York.)

10. Now it is a holiday staple of most ballet companies, who earn almost half of their annual revenue from their production of The Nutcracker.

11. Actually, it is not hard to find a boy to dance the role of the Nutcracker Prince. What is hard is to find enough boys to dance the role of the boys at the party at the beginning of The Nutcracker.

12. Often they have to be portrayed by girl ballerinas disguised as boys.

Next time: some names of men, who you would not think would take ballet lessons, when they were younger.
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #1246 on: January 28, 2018, 02:49:57 PM »

Here are the names of a half dozen men, who you might not expect, who took up ballet, when they were younger.

martial artist Jean-Claude Van Damme
Chicago mayor Rahm Emanuel
actor Jon-Erik Hexum
director Ken Russell
actor Macaulay Culkin
actor Pat Corley

I think Pat Corley had an interesting reason for talking up ballet. Like a lot of boys, he 1st took it up, at 15, to meet girls, but he continued in ballet for the next decade, he said for the power it gave him. He said, when he was on stage, with just a flick of his wrist, he could get every eye on the audience to focus on him. He said, that was power, and he liked it.
ER
B-Movie Kraken

The sleep of reasoner breeds monsters. (sic)

« Reply #1247 on: January 28, 2018, 02:55:46 PM »

Here are the names of a half dozen men, who you might not expect, who took up ballet, when they were younger.

actor Jon-Erik Hexum
director Ken Russell
actor Macaulay Culkin
actor Pat Corley

I think Pat Corley had an interesting reason for talking up ballet. Like a lot of boys, he 1st took it up, at 15, to meet girls, but he continued in ballet for the next decade, he said for the power it gave him. He said, when he was on stage, with just a flick of his wrist, he could get every eye on the audience to focus on him. He said, that was power, and he liked it.

Interesting. Wasn't David Carradine also into ballet?

What does not kill me makes me stranger.
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #1248 on: January 28, 2018, 03:02:30 PM »

Some of the most watched made for TV movies in the history of TV have been DCOMs or Disney Channel Original Movies. From the 1st in 1983, Tiger Town, to the newest, Zombies, in February, 2018, there have been 104 of them or almost 3 every year since the 1st.

Zombies
Now that the Living Dead can be prevented from having a desire to eat the Living, they have started attending regular high school with the Living. Of course, this brings them into conflict with those who don't want them there.

They are behind the curve on this one. Just restricting ourselves to teen or pre-teen Zombies, the 1st one, as far as I can tell, was in Orgy of the Dead in 1965.

What this film does do, is that while they use the term Zombies, what they are really doing is referring to those that are different: racially, religiously, sexually, and their need to attend regular high schools without being harassed: verbally, sexually, physically.

Next time: what is new for 2018. Studio by studio. 2 by 2.
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #1249 on: January 28, 2018, 03:06:00 PM »

actor Jon-Erik Hexum
director Ken Russell
actor Macaulay Culkin
actor Pat Corley

Interesting. Wasn't David Carradine also into ballet?

Maybe. I haven't seen or heard, that he did, but I'd not put it past him to take up ballet, as an young man. And I'm sure there are others out there, who'd we not might expect, who took up ballet some time earlier in their life.
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #1250 on: February 11, 2018, 03:01:43 PM »

Facebook just spent $600 million in India, and what did they get for their $600 million? The exclusive right to show Indian cricket for 5 years. And if they spend $600 million in India, what are they willing to spend for broadcasting rights in the U.S.? No wonder the old line studios are bulking up. And Trevor, if Indian cricket is worth $600 million, what is South African cricket worth to Facebook?

Universal/NBC/Comcast are bulking up their theme parks. So, Friends of Barney, if you want to see A Day in the Park with Barney at Universal Orlando, you better hurry, ere it is replaced by Nintendo Land and its rides and attractions based upon the Nintendo characters, including the Super Mario Brothers. Also on the chopping block are . . .

Curious George -- E.T. -- Fievel -- and Woody Woodpecker.

As for the films for 2018 . . .

03/09 Thoroughbreds
03/12 2 Days Entebbe
03/23 Pacific Rim Uprising
04/06 Blockers
04/13 Truth or Dare
04/20 Tully
05/11 Breaking On In
06/08 Won't You Be My Neighbor
06/22 Jurassic World : Fallen Kingdom
07/04 The 1st Purge
07/13 Skyscraper
07/20 Momma Mia : Here We Go Again
08/10 Scarface
08/17 Captive State
08/31 The Little Stranger
09/03 Johnny English@
09/21 The House with a Clock in Its Walls
09/28 Beyond
09/28 Night School
10/12 First Man
10/19 Halloween
11/02 Mary, Queen of Scots@
11/09 Dr. Seuss the Grinch
11/21 Untitled Robert Zemeckis film
12/14 Metal Engines

From the titles, 9 sequels, remakes, prequels, 36%

@Films I plan on seeing, at this time, of course, this can always change.
Johnny English. I've seen and enjoyed the 1st 2 in the series, especially the 2nd, so I'll probably see the 3rd.
Mary, Queen of Scots. I've already seen 3 different versions of it, including a film within a film, but I am always up for another retelling.

BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #1251 on: February 11, 2018, 03:51:43 PM »

Time/Warner . . .

is bulking up by trying to merge with AT&T. No doubt aiming for their own streaming network. As for films for 2018 . . .

02/16 Detective Chinatown 2
02/23 Game Night
03/16 Tomb Raider
03/29 Ready Player One

Rampage 04/20
He has this. He had last year's (2017's) surprise hit Jumanji, which no doubt will earn it a sequel. He has the upcoming Jungle Cruise with Emily Blunt, and--yes--it is based on the theme park ride.
And he has the title role in the upcoming solo spin off film from DC Comics Black Adam. No wonder he is regarded as being one of the highest paid actors in Hollywood.

05/11 Life of the Party
06/08 Oceans 8
06/15 Tag
07/13 The Nun

07/07 Teen Titans Go! to the Movies
With this, can Marvel's Young Avengers be far behind? It is said that the teenage Wiccan and his goofball twin brother Speed[ball] will be seen as infants in Avengers : Infinity War, and with one 10-year film cycle coming to an end, and another 10-year film cycle beginning, this will be their intro to that 2nd film cycle.

08/10 The Meg
This idea and film has been kicked around the studios for years. So, I am glad it has finally found a home. Though, I have no interest in seeing it.

08/17 Crazy Rich Asians
09/07 Untitled New Line horror
09/28 Small foot
10/05 A Star is Born

10/19 Mowgli
A strange choice, despite the director and cast, as soon after this we can expect a sequel to 2016's The Jungle Book.

11/16 Fantastic Beasts : the Crimes of Grindelwald

12/21 Aqua man
While this does not show it, there is talk of a DC-Marvel crossover film sometime in the future. One need to look no further than Who Framed Roger Rabbit? to see the benefits for both parties.

12/25 Untitled WB big event film

Just from the titles, 8 sequels, remakes, and prequels, or 42%.

@At this time, nothing to see here. Just move along. Move along.

Next time: more studios. 2 by 2.
Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1252 on: February 11, 2018, 04:42:07 PM »

The name Great Britain does not come as many people think from the empire, but instead back to when a north western chunk of France (Breton) was owned by the english king. Or possibly the English king was owned by the king of France at the time. There is a whole bunch of confusing titles and ownership claims. Indeed it could be that the whole of Europe is actually owned by a small Gerbil who lives in Wandslow called Gerald.

It wouldn't surprise me.

Anyway, the island was referred to as Grande Breton and the bit of France Little Breton which in time ended up as Great Britain.

Or maybe that is just what Gerald decided it was going to be called.

LONG LIVE GERALD!

But do you understand That none of this will matter Nothing can take your pain away
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #1253 on: February 26, 2018, 02:08:58 PM »

Paramount/Viacom

Bulking up, and no studio needs more bulking up, by re-merging with CBS. Which it was once a part, ere they split into 2 parts, a number of years ago. As for their films for 2018 . . .

02/23/18 Annihilation
03/23/18 @Sherlock Gnomes
04/06/18 A Quiet Place
05/18/18 Book Club
06/01/18 Action Point
07/27/18 Mission : Impossible : Fallout
10/26/18 Overlord
11/02/18 Untitled Paramount event film
12/2118 Bumblebee

Just from the titles
Sequels, remakes, prequels
2 out of 9 or 22.22%

Films I want to see
@I saw the previous one, Gnomeo and Juliet, and I enjoyed it. So, we'll probably go with this one.

BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #1254 on: February 26, 2018, 02:24:11 PM »

Columbia Pictures

And then there were 4. After 99 years of filmmaking, under various names, Columbia Pictures may soon cease to exist. As word has it, that Sony Corporation is looking to sell off Sony Entertainment, of which Columbia Pictures is a part. And if it is absorbed into another company . . .? The good news is that it may sell back its rights to the Marvel characters back to Marvel Films, so all the Marvel characters will be under one studio. As for its 2018 films.

03/02/18 Foxtrot
03/09/18 The Leisure Seeker
03/23/18 Final Portrait
03/23/18 #Paul, Apostle of Christ
04/13/18 The Rider
06/15/18 Super fly
06/29/18 Sicario 2 : Soldado
07/13/18 Hotel Transylvania 3 : Summer vacation
07/20/18 The Equalizer 2
08/21/18 Slender Man
09/14/18 Alpha 9
10/05/18 Venom
10/12/18 Goosebumps 2
11/09/18 The Girl in the Spider's Web
12/14/18 ##Spider-man : into the Spider-verse (3D)
12/21/18 Holmes and Watson

From the titles alone
sequels, remakes, prequels
7 out of 16 or 43.75%

Films I want to see.
#An interesting title, so we'll probably go with that.
##I saw the last one, so we'll probably go with that.

As for Holmes and Watson, normally yes, but . . . ? I don't particularly like the cast, and I do not like comedic versions of Sherlock Holmes.

Next time: 2 more. 2 by 2.
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #1255 on: March 12, 2018, 01:31:50 PM »

20th Century Fox
If you can't beat them, be eaten. When will the Mouse eat the Fox? Who can say. Till then here are the films for 2018 to be released under the 20th Century Fox logo.

04/20/18 Super Troopers 2
05/18/18 Dead pool 2
08/03/18 The Darkest Minds
08/14/18 The Predatory (2018)
10/05/18 Bad Times at the Royale
11/02/18 Dark Phoenix
11/12/18 Widows
12/24/18 Alita : Battle Angel
12/25/18 Bohemian Rhapsody

What we can say. Besides Dead pool 2, where are the Marvel films? 2019. Between 2019 and 2021, 20th Century Fox is expected to release a dozen Marvel films, including a re-booted Silver Surfer and the 1st film starring Doctor Doom.

BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #1256 on: March 12, 2018, 01:49:47 PM »

Do more. With less.
Here are the films to be released by the House of Mouse

03/09/18 A Wrinkle in Time
05/04/18 Avengers : Infinity War
05/25/18 Solo : a Star Wars Story
06/15/18 The Incredibles 2
07/06/18 Ant-man and the Wasp
09/03/18 Christopher Robin
11/02/18 The Nutcracker and the Four Realms
11/21/18 Ralph Breaks the Internet : Wreck it Ralph 2
12/25/18 Mary Poppins Returns

The fewest films for 2018, and the least original, as there is not a film here that is not a sequel or a partial remake of a previous film. Yet, because of the films being released in 2018, the House of Mouse will probably once again dominate the cinema box office in 2018.

BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #1257 on: March 20, 2018, 03:35:46 PM »

Here are some of the languages spoken in the Star Wars Universe.

Droid Speak
Ewokese
Galactic Basic
Huttese
Jawaese
Uboa

Nothing like this has been seen since 2013 and Frozen. Black Panther. Even a month after it was 1st released to theaters, Black Panther is selling out some showings. Which is why, if you are ever in the Orlando (Florida) area, and you want Black Panther merchandise, then you'll have to visit Universal (Orlando.) Of course, the House of Mouse has its lawyers pouring over the agreement between Marvel and Universal to see if a loophole can be found that'll allow Wakanda to be rammed thru the loophole. ("Ramming speed!")

That does not apply to the other theme parks. Black Panther has already appeared at Disney's California Adventure, and there is some talk of him coming to Disneyland Paris.

"More Stars Than There Are in the Sky."
Much to his surprise. MGM is still making films. The latest is a remake of Death Wish with Bruce Willis in the Charles Bronson role and directed by Eli Roth.

Multiple covers for a single issue of a magazine is becoming more common, but, this has to be something of a record.  Entertainment Weekly's 15 different covers featuring the 22 main characters to be found in Avengers : Infinity War. And Entertainment Weekly is a part of Time Warner which is rival of Marvel's House of Mouse.

Next time: Previously, we had a list of the famous who served in the military, ere they were famous. This time, the famous who served in the military, when they were famous--more or less.
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #1258 on: April 06, 2018, 04:13:53 PM »

Earlier we had a list of famous people who served in the military, ere they became famous. Here is a list of famous people who served in the military, when they were famous.

Eddie Albert
actor
WWII U.S. Navy

Francis Xavier "X" Atencio
House of Mouse animator
WWII US. Army Air Force
rising to the rank of Major

Gene Autry
actor/businessman
WWII U.S. Army

Pat Brady
actor/Roy Rogers' sidekick
WWII U.S. Army
the battlefields of Europe were safer than the roads of America.
he survived WWII only to return home to be killed in an automobile accident.

Jackie Cooper
actor
WWII U.S. Navy
rising to the rank of Captain

Dr. Seuss
writer/illustrator
WWII U.S. Army
rising to the rank of Major
his commanding officer was director Frank Capra

Henry Fonda
actor
WWII U.S. Navy
rising to the rank of Lieutenant J.G.
winner of the Bronze Star

John Ford
director
WWII U.S. Navy
rising to the rank of honorary Rear Admiral
one of the few to film himself being wounded.
on Midway, when it was attacked by the Japanese.
he filmed the attack for the Oscar winning documentary Battle of Midway.
watch for when he jerks the camera. that's when he was hit by shrapnel.

To be continued . . .

Now from the factual to the fictional.
DC was 1st with Wonder Woman. Now it's Marvel's turn.
Brie Larson as Carole Danvers and Jude Law.
What does Jude Law now have in common with Benedict Cumberbatch, Martin Freeman, and Robert Downey, Jr. Each has appeared as Holmes or Watson on film, and now each have starred in a Marvel film.
Since the film takes place in the 1990's and deals with the Kree/Skrull War, it is a prequel to most of the other Marvel films. And it will be the 1st appearance of the Skrulls in a Marvel film.
Captain Marvel sometime in March, 2019.
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #1259 on: April 29, 2018, 02:08:40 PM »

The following list is inspired by some of the lists on youtube.com. And because the 13th on the list was moved up a week, I moved this list up a week. Thus, here are some of my favorite action scenes from the films I have seen.

01. All Quiet on the Western Front (1930)
the French charging the German trenches.

02. Bram Stoker's Dracula
the posse members charging after Dracula in his coffin, ere he gets back to his castle.

03. Cimarron (1960)
the homesteaders charging across the Oklahoma Territory to stake their claims.

04. Glory
the charge of the 54th Massachusetts at Fort Wagner.

05. Intolerance
the Persians charging the walls of Babylon.

06. Lord of the Rings (1978)
the Riders charging out of Helm's Deep and any charge against the Orcs.

07. The Messenger
the French charging the British fortifications surrounding Orleans.

08. Swiss Family Robinson (1960)
the pirates charging up the hill where the family members are held up.

09. The Tower
the Frisians charging the Tower where our heroes are holding out, waiting to be rescued.

10. Waterloo
the cavalry charges.

11. Young Winston
the cavalry charge.

12. Zulu Dawn
the Zulus charging the encampment.

And that is 12 I have seen, and 1 I have not seen on the big screen, but hope to see this coming May 3.

13. Avengers : Infinity War
The Wakandans, the Dora Milaje, and the Avengers charging Thanos' Black Legion.
One of the few new action scenes that may equal the older action scenes from the past.

Next time: What I found interesting. What I disliked. What I found interesting that I disliked.

Pages: 1 ... 82 83 [84] 85 86 ... 127
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Fact Of The Day « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.