Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 01:20:02 PM
714475 Posts in 53097 Topics by 7743 Members
Latest Member: medikam
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Fact Of The Day « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 106 107 [108] 109 110 ... 127
Author Topic: Fact Of The Day  (Read 638423 times)
Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1605 on: November 06, 2019, 05:05:06 PM »

We will wait to next week, what we said we'd post last week, so we can post this this week, ere November 12.

1. O'er 80 years
from 1937's Snow White and the 7 Dwarves to 2019's The Mandalorian, or o'er 80 years of Hollywood history.

2. 3 hours, 17 minutes, 54 seconds
in 20 second clips. That's almost 600 films and shows.

3. No one does it better.
No one has a better backcatalog, having seen the components of AT&T's HBO Max, not HBO Max. (IMHO) the only one that may come close is Comcast's Peacock, which will roll out next year.

4. An almost . . .
. . . perfect blend of the old and the new.

5. Nostalgia
That is what drags them in.

6. The last of the old line studios . . .
. . . that answers to no one but themselves.
Warner answers to AT&T (telecommunications)
Universal answers to Comcast (telecommunications)
Paramount answers to National Amusements (movie theaters)
Columbia answers to Sony (electronics)
Then there was 20th Century Fox, but, last year, they saw the writing on the wall, threw in the towel, and sold out.

7. 1 + 2 + 3 + 4 + 5 + 6 =
or, why, at this moment, a half dozen reasons,  Disney+ has the edge o'er the others in the upcoming streaming wars.

Next time: what I said last time next week.

At the moment I think they (Disney) are the only service I can see giving Amazon a serious challenge. The combined Disney & Fox archives gives them a massive amount of material (although I wouldn't be surprised if the money men decided Fox should be a serperate service). The last time I looked at the figures Amazon was by quite some distance the largest streaming service having four times the subscribers of its nearest competitor (Netflix) and that was before the end of Game of Thrones and the mass unsubscribing that followed its finale.

But do you understand That none of this will matter Nothing can take your pain away
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #1606 on: November 07, 2019, 08:53:46 AM »

According to this, the average person has sexual 5,770 time before first and last intercourse.

http://www.elitedaily.com/dating/sex/sex-average-amount-times-before-death/1744446

That article also says people fall in love an average of 6.5 times in their life (and also have an average of 6 unrequited loves, which I hope are counted separately). That sounds awfully high to me.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
ER
B-Movie Kraken

The sleep of reasoner breeds monsters. (sic)

« Reply #1607 on: November 07, 2019, 09:33:25 AM »

According to this, the average person has sexual 5,770 time before first and last intercourse.

http://www.elitedaily.com/dating/sex/sex-average-amount-times-before-death/1744446

That article also says people fall in love an average of 6.5 times in their life (and also have an average of 6 unrequited loves, which I hope are counted separately). That sounds awfully high to me.

The more I've thought about it, some things don't sound right to me either. But then again 44.6 percent of statistics are made up.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2019, 10:04:02 AM by ER » Logged

What does not kill me makes me stranger.
ER
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1608 on: November 07, 2019, 11:30:54 AM »

Ever notice how dangerous being in a plane while doing a good deed is? Think about it.

Patsy Cline and those with her died in a crash after a benefit concert for the family of a DJ who had suddenly passed away.

Peter Tomarkin, host of Press Your Luck, which I used to love (the game show with the whammies), died in a crash along with his wife while they were volunteering for a group called Angel Flight West, which provided free air travel for needy medical patients.

And of course baseball star Roberto Clemente, who crashed while on a mercy mission to Nicaragua.

I'm sure there were others but going out that way seems especially unfair.

indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #1609 on: November 07, 2019, 10:25:11 PM »

If that is true, I am about 4,000 below average!

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
ER
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1610 on: November 07, 2019, 10:28:01 PM »

Yes, sir, but you found true love in your first love, and that's the stuff of other people's hope and dreams.

indianasmith
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1611 on: November 07, 2019, 10:29:45 PM »

I keep telling myself that . . . most days I believe it.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
ER
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1612 on: November 07, 2019, 10:30:56 PM »

You've seen every Star Wars movie together, and if that ain't romantic then I don't know what is.

Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1613 on: November 08, 2019, 11:31:16 AM »

Which explains why you have so much free time to write novels and hunt for arrowheads.

ER
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1614 on: November 08, 2019, 11:47:38 AM »

Which explains why you have so much free time to write novels and hunt for arrowheads.

Buggedout May I act as your second in the forthcoming affair of honor, Indy?

indianasmith
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1615 on: November 08, 2019, 06:59:10 PM »

LOL at both of you!

ER
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1616 on: November 08, 2019, 08:29:17 PM »

Aww, no duel?

I thought that was how you Southerners settled things.

I'd meet the Rev's second someplace dignified, and he'd offer me some of the Rev's select bourbon and I'd offer him one of Indy's Diet Doctor Peppers, and we'd pick a time and place, maybe Devou Park at dawn, and Indy'd bring his Roman gladius, slayer of many a pumpkin, and the Rev would bring....I dunno, something equally lethal, and they'd write their wills (being a lawyer the Rev would help Indy do his, and Indy would write him a check dated after the duel), and on the dawn we'd all meet and I'd shake the other second's hand, and a priest would be there and a doctor and some onlookers, and the combatants would face off and we'd all turn our backs so we could testify we'd not seen a thing, then there'd be chilling clashes of steel or the explosion of fighting irons, and one or both of our beloved fellas would spill earthward, and Indy's wife would weep and somewhere the beautiful woman the Rev was destined to cross paths and fall in love with soon after would feel a sudden coldness about her heart and never know why, and we'd see the doomed duelists buried at Cave Hill or First Baptist, and BMDO would grow into a less interesting place, but dayham what a way to go out....

indianasmith
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1617 on: November 08, 2019, 11:38:39 PM »

Wow, you make it sound quite appealing!

BoyScoutKevin
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #1618 on: November 10, 2019, 05:09:40 PM »

Again, we will delay what we'd said we'd post this week from last week, so we can post this.

When Fox sold out, one of the things it sold was its film library. Thus, besides the films already mentioned, the following Fox films are expected to be shown on Disney+.
--Thumbelina
-- The Sandlot
--Never Been Kissed
--Millions
--Jouney to the Center of the Earth (1959)
--the Home Alone series
--Garfield : a Tale of 2 Kitties
--the Diary of a Wimpy Kid series
--and, of course, The Simpsons.

That does not include these Foxs film which are expected to get a reboot, either as a film or a TV series.
--Night at the Museum
--Home Alone
--Diary of a Wimpy Kid
--Cheaper by the Dozen

And when the Fox film library was sold, so was the National Georgraphic film library, so we will get to see  . . .
--Brain Games
--The Incredible Dr. Pol
--Mission to the Sun
--Secrets of the King Cobra
etc.

And for those of you are reading this in Europe, excluding the Netherlands, Disney+ rolls out on March 31, 2020, in . . .
France--Germany--Italy--Spain--and the U.K.

It makes one wonder how many of the people living there will subscribe to the streaming service, as not there, but in some polls, as many as 81% of the people polled said that they are at least thinking of subscribing.

And an almost century later, we have arrived at this moment, where the old is new once more, as there is now a plaform to show mid-price films, $20M-$60M, such as . . .
teen romances -- slapstick comedies -- inspirational dramas -- and animal adventures . . .
to the number of about a dozen films an year.

Next time: unless something else comes up, a post of what I said I'd post last time.
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1619 on: November 14, 2019, 02:19:02 PM »

Being a millionaire ain't what it used to be... according to Voice of America, 5.8% of Americans are now millionaires.

Pages: 1 ... 106 107 [108] 109 110 ... 127
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Fact Of The Day « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.