Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 01:50:52 AM
712922 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Fact Of The Day « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 127
Author Topic: Fact Of The Day  (Read 628697 times)
BoyScoutKevin
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #465 on: April 11, 2013, 06:35:38 PM »

Fact: Minion. Definition of. 

Servant -- follower -- comrade -- companion -- favorite (sexual) -- type of cannon.

The last leads us to today's story. For when the water well at Jamestown, Virginia, went bad, it was bad news for them and good news for us, because it then became the Jamestown garbage dump. Which now gives us some insight into how the settlers at Jamestown lived, as we have found . . .

turtle shells -- oyster shells -- Native American pots -- trade beads -- mirror glass -- tobacco pipes -- medicinal jars -- military items, including parts from a mnion -- and a broken roof slate, which has writing on it.

Roof slates were often used for writing materials, instead of paper, because they could be erased and reused. And on this slate there was found North American floral and fauna; words, letters, and numbers; and drawings of people, including one man, who apparently lost his right hand.

They also found . . .

Chinese wine cups -- Venetian glassware -- German clay jugs -- Dutch wall tiles

which shows that international trade was not a recent phenomena.

As for my other remark about Marvel last time . . .

"Iron Man 3" will be out May 3, in the U.S., and it'll be playing in many theaters, as part of a movie marathon. "Iron Man," "Iron Man 2," "The Avengers," and then "Iron Man 3." With special ticket prices, and looking at previous movie marathons, the ticket prices will probably range between $20 and $40 per ticket. Still, that's not bad for 4 films, and some theaters are also throwing in a concession coupon at that price.

As for the start time . . .? I'm guessing 12:01 a.m. on May 3.

At least, with the world wide web, one can now purchase the tickets on-line, when they go on sale. No more camping out for days to be the first in line to get tickets. That's the good news.

The bad news . . . ? At one time, the U.S. would be one of the first countries to get a release of an American film. Now it is one of the last. The first country to get the film will be New Zealand, where it opens April 18. So, if one wants to be one of the first people in the world to see it, you'll need to fly to New Zealand.

Next time: "It took 77,000 Garamantes or one Texan . . ." and "Do we need another new music award? Probably not, but . . "
El Misfit
[Insert witty here]
B-Movie Kraken

Hi there!

« Reply #466 on: April 12, 2013, 09:24:46 AM »

EA Games is the first company, in America, to win the Worst Company In America award two times in a row.

yeah no.
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #467 on: April 12, 2013, 02:29:42 PM »

About 90% of all BBQ joints in America isn't real BBQ, it's cooked meat with sauce from the jar smothered.

You Carolinians are all the same... Hatred

I'm from New Orleans.

cooked meat with sauce from the jar smothered.

Sounds like BBQ to me.

REAL BBQ is actually slow roasted with sugar and spices caramelized into the meat.

No Misfit - you're thinking of "barbecue." "BBQ" is meat smothered in sauce from a jar. (Wish I could find Joe Bob Briggs' column about the difference between barbecue and BBQ online, but I can't. I believe BBQ has to be served on a sloppy Joe bun and only two choices of sides are allowed---potato salad or pinto beans. And I think it has to be served by a lady wearing a hairnet to be genuine BBQ).

Just to clarify, I was right?  It doesn't happen very often so I want to double check.

I've got no idea, I lost track.  TeddyR

Bottom line: "real" barbecue is barbecue done in the style of whatever state you come from.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #468 on: April 12, 2013, 03:59:12 PM »

A lot of boxes have these little locking tabs on the ends, so that when you pull some foil out, the whole roll doesn't fall out of the box.

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
ER
B-Movie Kraken

The sleep of reasoner breeds monsters. (sic)

« Reply #469 on: April 17, 2013, 11:18:46 AM »

An average of one-hundred tornadoes a year strike the state of Texas; more than anyplace else on earth.

What does not kill me makes me stranger.
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #470 on: April 18, 2013, 02:48:38 PM »

Fact: The Garamantes, a people in the southwestern corner of modern Libya, ruled that part of Africa for almost 900 years. And they were able to do that, because of an extensive underground irrigation system, they were able to build.
But . . .

They were not only water engineers and farmers, they were also were known--well known to the ancient Greeks and Romans--weavers, metallurgists, and importers/exporters.

They imported . . .

metal ores -- olive oil -- olives -- slaves -- and wines.

And they exported . . .

barley -- figs -- grapes -- metal products -- pearl millet -- pulses -- slaves -- sorghum -- textiles -- and wheat.

Their rule came to an end in the 7th century A.D. for two main reasons. One external and one internal.  The external reason was the collapse of the Roman empire along the Libyan coast disrupted the trade routes upon which they were dependent. The internal reason was that they just ran out of water eventually.

As for the other . . .

The Aussie, the Limey, and the Texan. Cody Simpson, Ellie Golding, and Austin Malone are scheduled to perform and/or hand out awards at the 1st RDMA. (RDMA stands for Radio Disney Music Awards.) And they are to be joined by Selena Gomez, Bridget Mendler, and Coco Jones. And if you don't know who any of these are, just ask your children, if you do have children. While public voting is over for this year, the show is to be held live at the Nokia Theater in Los Angeles, California, USA on April 27. And to be broadcast on Radio Disney, and for all  I know, one or more of the networks owned by the Walt Disney Company.

Next time: "Take one cucumber" and an continuation.
ulthar

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« Reply #471 on: April 18, 2013, 02:56:55 PM »

In the Carolinas, "real" barbecue is pulled pork fried in vinegar.
They have a pretty fierce attitude about it around here.

Hmmm...I've lived in one or the other Carolina for nearly 40 years, and I cannot say I've ever had pulled pork fried in vinegar.

We did used to slow cook whole hogs (split in two down the middle) over oak coals over 24 hours and sell it as "barbecue" twice a year as a fund raiser.  The pork was pulled and sold, not fried or any other 'treatment' after pulling.

Most eastern NC restaurants advertise slow cooking over hardwood, not frying.

I know that the vinegar based sauces are popular, but I've never heard of anyone frying the pork itself in vinegar.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2013, 03:00:26 PM by ulthar » Logged

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #472 on: April 18, 2013, 05:20:58 PM »

According to the Public Policy Polling Foundation, 5% of Americans who believe Obama is the Antichrist nevertheless voted for him in the last election.

ER
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #473 on: April 18, 2013, 11:05:07 PM »

The soreness associated with exercise is largely caused by the dissipation of lactic acid from the muscles.

ER
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #474 on: April 20, 2013, 08:22:11 PM »

Ohio University sued the Ohio State University and won the rights to the word "Ohio". High-five to the underdog from Athens for taking down the biggest bully on the block.

Bushma

« Reply #475 on: April 22, 2013, 11:09:41 AM »

Because nightmare material should be shared...

reptile reflexes remain deadly after death. In fact, they can still bite and deliver a killing dose of venom up to an hour after being decapitated

Small | Large

This is my awesome signature.  Jealous?
El Misfit
[Insert witty here]
B-Movie Kraken

Hi there!

« Reply #476 on: April 22, 2013, 08:18:07 PM »

There exists a plant named "horny goat weed". Consuming its leaves would work as an aphrodisiac for both men and women.

yeah no.
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #477 on: April 23, 2013, 08:32:03 AM »

There exists a plant named "horny goat weed".

That is a fact.

Consuming its leaves would work as an aphrodisiac for both men and women.

That is an advertising claim.

BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #478 on: April 24, 2013, 03:33:59 PM »

Fact: Before mankind walked the earth, the following could be found.

(a) "Sea monsters" with teeth the size of cucumbers and a skull the size of a minicompact.

(b) Snakes longer than a city bus.

(c) Birds that used their wings like nunchucks and their heads like hatchets.

(d) And crocs that were vegetarians, since they ate nothing but plants.

Of course, they have since all died out.

As for the other . . .

We'll talk about the radio station, then about the listeners.

Like any good business, they saw a need and they fulfilled it. They saw a need for a radio network that catered to teens and pre-teens, and they have been remarkablely successful in filling that niche, since they began 17 years ago.
So, if one has a singer, a record, a band, or an album one wants to promote, one tries to place 'em on this network. Maybe because they broadcast not only in the U.S. and Canada, but also in Europe, Australia, and Asia. And they also have a Latin America division, which can be heard over much of the areaa south of Mexico.  Before they moved to California, they actually got their start here in the area  in which I live.

Next time: "The Great 8" and a conclusion.
ER
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #479 on: April 24, 2013, 11:28:05 PM »

Steve Irwin said parrots made him nervous. Not pythons, not cobras, not sharks or scorpions or a twenty-foot croc called Aggro....parrots.

Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 127
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Fact Of The Day « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.