Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 03:41:25 AM
712924 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Fact Of The Day « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 63 64 [65] 66 67 ... 127
Author Topic: Fact Of The Day  (Read 628732 times)
BoyScoutKevin
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #960 on: March 30, 2015, 05:26:29 PM »

Here are the films to be released by Universal NBC for the rest of 2015.

04/03/15 Furious 7
04/17/15 Unfriended
05/08/15 5 Flights Up
05/15/15 Pitch Perfect 2
06/05/15 Insidious Chapter 3
06/12/l5 Jurassic World
06/26/l5 Ted 2
07/03/15 Minions
07/10/15 Self/less
07/17/15 Train wreck
08/14/15 Straight Outta Compton
08/21/15 Sinister 2
09/11/15 The Visit
09/18/15 Everest
10/02/15 London Has Fallen
10/09/15 Steve Job
10/16/15 Crimson Peak
10/23/15 Jem and the Holograms
11/27/15 The Danish Girl
12/04/15 Krampus
12/18/15 Sisters

Not all of these are from Universal NBC. About a third or 7 of the films are from Focus Features of which Universal NBC acts as the distributor.

Interesting to compare these releases to the films being released by the Walt Disney Company, which is releasing only 12 films this year or about 1 a month, while Universal NBC for the rest of the year is releasing 21 films or about 1 film every 2 to 3 weeks. Also "quantity" at Universal NBC vs. "quality" at Walt Disney Company?

And while the films released by the Walt Disney Company this year, have been criticized for the lack of originality, only 2 of the films are sequels or about 17%, while 7 of the films released by Universal NBC this year, from the titles, seem to be sequels, or about 33%. Thus, even less originality than from the Walt Disney Company.

Outside of the Walt Disney Company, Universal NBC has the biggest presence, among the major film studios, in the theme park business. Thus, it is interesting to wonder how many of these films will later show up as part of an Universal NBC theme park, including its Halloween Horror Nights, as many of this year's films are of the horror genera.

And as I have never been good at picking which films, beforehand, will be hits or flops, I'll leave that up to you all.

Next time: trivia from another major film studio.
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #961 on: April 08, 2015, 01:20:53 PM »

Can you name the major film and TV studio from these 10 trivia items about the studio?

01. The highest grossing from this studio was in 2002 and grossed $403,706,375.00

02. It began as CBC Films in 1918.

03. That name comes from the 3 partners that founded the film: Cohn, Brandt, and Cohn.

04. It became part of this Japanese corporation on November 8, 1989.

05. Its logo, aka The Torch Lady, has undergone 6 variations since 1928, when it first appeared in front of one the studio's films.

06. Between 1928 and 1936, the logo was modeled on actress Evelyn Venable.

07. And between 1936 and 1976, it was based on a woman named Jane Chester Bartholomew.

08. The latest variation and the one used presently dates from 1993.

09. Between 1981 and 1993, it was also known as the Coke Bottle Torch Lady.

10. As the studio was then part of the Coca-Cola Company.

Answer: Sony Columbia

Next time: Normally, I'd list a films expected from this studio from now to the end of 2015, but--instead--we'll put that aside to the time after next, as next time I want to post a list of films expected to be released by Marvel from now to the end of this decade or 2020.

ER
B-Movie Kraken

The sleep of reasoner breeds monsters. (sic)

« Reply #962 on: April 08, 2015, 10:56:46 PM »

As reported by ibn Fadlan, Viking men wore eyeliner.

What does not kill me makes me stranger.
ER
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #963 on: April 14, 2015, 09:03:36 AM »

The Great Gatsby turned ninety this week.

BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #964 on: April 15, 2015, 05:36:59 PM »

Marvel's lineup of films to be released to the end of this decade.

Yes. I have plans to see it.
No. I have no plans to see it.
?. I have neither plans to see it nor not plans to see it.

05/6/16 Captain America : Civil War (No)
I just don't like the storyline.

11/04/16 Doctor Strange (Yes)

05/05/17 Guardians of the Galaxy 2 (Yes)
We can be thankful this did not tank at the box office. If it had tanked, there might be fewer films with some of the more minor characters in the Marvel Universe, as the thinking would be that there was no demand for such films.

11/02/17 Thor : Ragnarok (No)
Not having seen the 1st two, little interest in seeing this one, but I do wonder if the storyline will follow the storyline in the comic books, where Loki dies saving Valhalla, and then is reincarnated as an young boy. Loki the boy has always been more interesting to me, then Loki the man.

05/04/18 Avengers : Infinity War, part I (Yes)
Thanos will likely appear.

07/16/18 Black Panther (?)

11/02/18 Captain Marvel (Yes)

05/03/19 Avengers : Infinity War, part II (Yes)
A war so big, it required 2 films to make it.

07/12/19 Inhumans (?)

Next time: the film slate of Sony Columbia for the rest of this year.

Newt
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.

I want to be Ripley when I grow up.

« Reply #965 on: April 15, 2015, 08:04:54 PM »

The Great Gatsby turned ninety this week.

He's looking it. I heard he had been unwell.

"May I offer you a Peek Frean?" - Walter Bishop
"Thank you for appreciating my descent into deviant behavior, Mr. Reese." - Harold Finch
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #966 on: April 23, 2015, 07:10:30 PM »

These are the films to be released by Sony Columbia for the rest of 2015.

05/29/15 Aloha
07/24/15 Pixels
09/04/15 Kitchen Sink
09/25/15 Transylvania Hotel 2
10/16/15 Goosebumps

The only one that interest me. I was never a fan of the book series or the TV program, but I do remember them from my time when I was younger than I am now. Till I saw the storyline for the film, which puts me off of it. Still, one reason to see it, might be to see R. L. Stine, who has a cameo as himself, who else, in it.

11/06/15 Spectre
11/25/15 Rogen/Levitt X-Mas Movie
12/25/15 Concussion

Sony Columbia's big film of the year, as Christmas Day is a prime date for a film to be released.

Next time: trivia for another major film studio
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #967 on: April 25, 2015, 01:22:52 PM »

"Greensleeves" and "What Child is This" are the same song.  Maybe everybody else in the world knew this, but I jut figured it out recently.

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #968 on: April 30, 2015, 04:07:40 PM »

"Greensleeves" and "What Child is This" are the same song.  Maybe everybody else in the world knew this, but I jut figured it out recently.

No, or I had forgotten they were the same song. Considering my age and mental capacity, it is probably the latter, but . . .?! That does remind me of another song. When Harry Belafonte sang it, it was known as "Day-O," but when the Tarriers covered the song, it was known as "The Banana Boat Song." One song. Two titles. Two singers, but . . .?! Either way, one of my favorites.

Now, I did say last time I wanted to do some more movie studio trivia, but . . .?! I wanted to get this out 1st, while the magazine was still on the racks.

Each year, "Time" magazine does an issue featuring "The 100 Most Influential People." This year, it is the 4/27-5/4 issue, and while their choice of people is interesting, what I find more interesting is who they get to sing the praises of each individual. For example: they got Bishop Desmond Tutu to sing the praises of Pope Francis. Thus . . .

Only in Hollywood would you have a Conservative Republican WASP sing the praises of a Liberal Democrat Jew, or, Rupert Murdoch sings the praises of Bob Iger.

The only thing stranger would be for a Conservative Roman Catholic male to sing the praises of a Liberal Jewish female. Oh, wait! That happened as Antonin Scalia sings the praises of Ruth Bader Ginsburg. Which points out . . .

While there are differences between Hollywood and Washington, D.C., there are also similarities. One of them being, more so in Hollywood than Washington, D.C., but . . .?! One thing that trumps religion and politics is the business of doing business.

Also . . . be ware, when opponents make nice with each other. It makes one wonder what they are up to.

Is Fox going to join ESPN in a legal assault on Paramount Viacom's cable TV business?

While cable TV can change an agreement with a program provider, the change must be made in conjunction with the program provider. Which makes people who are familiar with legalities of media, wonder what Paramount Viacom is up to, as they, apparently, made the change unilaterally. The only thing people can think of the reason for doing this, is Paramount Viacom is willing to take a loss in court, as they don't have much of a case, to get a win with the FCC.

Thus . . .?! Those of you who still have cable TV might watch what is going on in the courts and Congress, as their decisions will affect you.

Or, it could be that we might see a mash up between the X-Men and the Avengers, as Fox has the rights to the X-Men and the Walt Disney Company, thru Marvel, has the rights to the Avengers.

Next time: more movie studio trivia
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #969 on: May 10, 2015, 01:52:01 PM »

Can you recognize this major motion picture and TV studio from these 10 pieces of trivia?

01. Their motto is "Educate, Entertain, and Enlighten."

02. It was founded by 4 brothers: Harry, Albert, Sam, and Jack, who had 8 more siblings. Four of whom died during childhood.

03. The studio was incorporated in 1923, but the Brothers had been making films since the 1910s.

04. Rin Tin Tin was their 1st major star.

05. Their 1st cartoon star was a pig, who was soon supplanted by another cartoon star, who made his debut in 1940.

06. All of James Dean's films were made for this studio.

07. DC Comics is a division of this studio.

08. Best Picture Oscar Winners range from 1937's "The Life of Emile Zola" to 2006's "The Departed."

09. Their top grossing film--internationally-- was 2011's "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Part II," which grossed a total of $1.3 billion at the box office.

10. Their top grossing film--domestically--was 2008's "The Dark Knight," which grossed $533 million at the domestic box office.

And the answer is . . .

Time Warner

Next time: films for the rest of 2015 to be released by Time Warner.
ER
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #970 on: May 13, 2015, 09:47:44 AM »

The Russian word "Mir", as in the Mir space station, means "village of cooperating equals".

BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #971 on: May 17, 2015, 04:27:17 PM »

Here are the films to be released by Time Warner for the rest of the year.

05/15/15 Mad Max : Fury Road
05/29/15 San Andreas Fault
06/03/15 Entourage
06/26/15 Bat Kid Begins
06/26/15 Max (2015)
07/01/15 Magic Mile XXL
07/10/15 The Gallows
07/24/15 Vacation
08/14/15 The Man from U.N.C.L.E.
08/28/15 We Are Your Friends
09/15/15 Black Mass
09/25/15 The Intern
10/09/15 Pan
11/13/15 The 33
11/25/15 Creed
11/25/15 Midnight Special
12/01/15 In the Heart of the Sea
12/25/15 Point Break (2015)

(IMHO) There are two paths to go. Go with NBC Universal and quantity of films, or go with the Walt Disney Company and quality of films. It looks like Time Warner is taking the NBC Universal path. Though, with what I know about the films being released by Time Warner, the quality is higher than that of NBC Universal, even if it looks like they will be releasing a lot of horror, and while my attitude may change, as release dates near, and I find out more about subject and cast, the only film on this list I want to see is "Mad Max : Fury Road," which I'll give a report on later, after I have seen if.

I was going to do some more film studio trivia, but . . .?! I think I'll wait on that, so I can do this.

Next time: It was here. Then it was gone. But . . .?! It'll be back. Not next year, but . . .?! The year after.
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #972 on: May 27, 2015, 04:53:09 PM »

1977. Something called Star Wars : Episode IV : a New Hope was released to theaters, and the world has never been the same since. One of the next big events in the Star Wars Universe was some 22 years later, when the 1st official, more or less, Star Wars convention was held in Denver. It was followed thereafter every 2 to 3 years by another convention.

The 2nd in 2002 in Indianapolis
The 3rd in 2005 in Indianapolis
The 4th in 2007 in L.A.
The 5th in 2010 in Orlando
The 6th in 2012 in Orlando
The 7th in 2015 in Anaheim
and the 8th in 2017 in L.A.

Of course, one does not have to wait till 2017 for the next Star Wars convention. There will be one next year, and we'll say where and when, next time.

Another big event in the Star Wars Universe will now be Lucas' attempt to bring some coherence to the Star Wars backstory, which till now has been somewhat incoherent. This means new books, new graphic novels set in the Star Wars Universe, and maybe a new storyline for Star Tours--the Adventure Continues. Only its 3rd since 1987, when the attraction 1st came to the Disney theme parks.
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #973 on: June 02, 2015, 05:23:28 PM »

Star Wars Celebration is held not only here in the U.S., but . . .?! Overseas as well, though on a more erratic and infrequent schedule. The 1st one was held in . . .

2007 in London, England.

That was followed by . . .

2008 in Chiba, Japan.
2013 in Essen, Germany,

and if one can't wait for the next one here in the U.S., which I believe is in L.A. in 2017, there is one in . . .

2016 in London, England from July 15 to July 17. I wouldn't fly all the way to London just to see this, but . . . if one has previous plans to be in London on those dates, it might be worth taking in. All 3-days or one of the 3 days. There is a discount, if one purchases a ticket for all 3-days as opposed to purchasing individual tickets for each of the 3-days. There is also a small discount, if one purchases tickets now on-line, to be picked up at the door, as opposed to purchasing the tickets the days of the event.

And while it is still too early to see the guests, who will be there, and the events planned for the Celebration, the guests, over 80,  for the 2015 Celebration in Anaheim is posted on the world wide web, and I presume some ones similar will the at the London one in 2016. As for the events, a list of events for the 2015 Celebration in Anaheim is again posted on the world wide web, and some things similar will again be at the one in London in 2016.

And yes, you can expect to see cosplayers of all ages at the Celebration, even in London, England.

Next time: before there was the 1st Star Wars Celebration in 1999, there was this celebration of all-things Star Wars.
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #974 on: June 03, 2015, 12:24:58 AM »

Carrying a tote  bag full of fossilized bones down a river bed all afternoon give you sore shoulders.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Pages: 1 ... 63 64 [65] 66 67 ... 127
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Fact Of The Day « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.