Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 18, 2024, 11:44:48 PM
712920 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Television  |  What's Seth McFarlene's problem? « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Author Topic: What's Seth McFarlene's problem?  (Read 47278 times)
66Crush
« on: February 20, 2011, 10:52:36 PM »

I think "Family Guy" is funny and I get that they push the envelope. But how many more damn cancer jokes are they gonna make? Has Seth lost anyone to cancer, if he did he wouldn't think it was so funny. I'm not stupid, and uneducated for thinking this. The show is very smart and funny and like it 90% of the time. But somebody should punch him in the mouth for the cancer jokes.
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2011, 06:23:38 AM »

I agree 100%. Cancer is a horrible way to die....a very slow and painful death. My wife died of cancer 2 years ago.

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Doggett
Bustin' makes me feel good !
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I've seen things you people couldn't imagine...

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2011, 06:55:58 AM »

I don't think Family Guy has been the same since it was brought back.
It was funny because it was always on the edge, now it's just going over which isn't as funny as anyone could do that.

I'm liking American Dad! a lot more.  Thumbup

If God exists, why did he make me an atheist? Thats His first mistake.
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2011, 02:01:53 PM »

It is funny because you people who don't think it is are whining about cancer jokes. The more you are against it the more we trolls find it funny. Family Guy is awesome for pushing the envelope, and it shouldn't be ashamed to do a joke about such stuff. You know why? Because it is just a stupid joke, with no meaning whatsoever,a nd people get p**sed off by it. The joke doesn't change the world whether it exists or not. People won't stop being treated for cancer just because a joke was made. The joke is NOTHING, AT ALL, and you people like to complain about it instead of complaining how sportstars can earn more money than actual scientists who are actually trying to cure cancer.

Glad you're finally admitting it. 

I don't understand the whole troll attitude: that it's funny that people would be p**sed off by something. Sometimes good, incisive humor p**ses people off or makes them think.  That's the whole purpose of satire.  You seem to be arguing that if it p**ses someone off, then it's funny by definition.  It reminds me of the fallacy "true art is offensive."

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
akiratubo

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2011, 02:55:43 PM »

I've pretty much given up on Family Guy, not that I was ever that into it in the first place.  It's not funny anymore and I don't think it's even trying to be.

Kneel before Dr. Hell, the ruler of this world!
bob
I survived Bucky Larson

Torgo watches you masterbate!

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2011, 03:05:32 PM »

I've pretty much given up on Family Guy, not that I was ever that into it in the first place.  It's not funny anymore and I don't think it's even trying to be.

That's why I stopped watching as well. The show pushes the envelope for the sake of pushing it with no rhyme or reason to it.

Kubrick, Nolan, Tarantino, Wan, Iñárritu, Scorsese, Chaplin, Abrams, Wes Anderson, Gilliam, Kurosawa - the elite

I believe in the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.
10,000 Volt Ghost
Ancient Radiation
Bad Movie Lover

Ancient Radiation

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2011, 03:23:10 PM »

I don't think Family Guy has been the same since it was brought back.
It was funny because it was always on the edge, now it's just going over which isn't as funny as anyone could do that.

I'm liking American Dad! a lot more.  Thumbup

That's how I feel about it too. I blame Cherry Chavprata....(sp) too. It seems like he's been at the helm of the decline.

I'll even watch the Cleveland Show because its more simple and actually kind of funny.

John Hancock
Nightowl
Bad Movie Lover

Local TV-Movie Nerd!

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2011, 04:09:23 PM »

MacFarlane is always joking about terrible things such as cancer, strokes & aids. The way I see it is it's like kicking somebody when they're already down, it's just uncalled for. I like controversy as the next person, but this taking it a step to far. Family Guy should just stick to making pop references.

66Crush
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2011, 02:27:53 AM »

The first time they did it, I thought "They are just pushing the envelope." It didn't bother me that much at first, but then they kept doing it. Now it seems like they do it every episode. I happend to be watching an episode like that when I was online, and I just couldn't let it go. I had to post a topic. I don't wanna be that guy that thinks people's free speech should be censored, I don't believe in that. I wonder if they do it just to get a rise out of people? You think they would put some kind of message at the end of the credits, like the web adress for the American Cancer Society. When Patrick Swayze died they dedicated an episode to him, where they made fun of "Roadhouse." Which was a classy thing to do. But I think people knew it was in good fun and in that case they didn't make fun of his disease. One problem I have with the cancer jokes is that they do it so much. I'm just curious what Seth and his writters think about this. If I had a better understanding of it, I might have a better opinion of them.
Mofo Rising
Global Moderator

My cat can eat a whole watermelon!

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2011, 03:42:59 AM »

I haven't watched Family Guy for years, so I'm not familiar with the jokes they are putting out now. When I was watching it, I thought Family Guy had moments of brilliance, but was too often saddled down with very lazy attempts at humor. I take humor very seriously, as I find laughter one of the uniquely human attributes that is too rarely celebrated.

I will speak in defense of "sick" humor, because I find the ability to laugh about the most horrific of things is one of the truly redemptive things humans are capable of. "If you don't laugh about it, you will cry about it."

But this has to be done well, and that is very, very tricky. The line between hilariously offensive and just plain offensive is very fine. From what I remember of Family Guy, MacFarlane is the kind of guy who clumsily paws away instead of applying the finesse the topic deserves.

So I don't find the idea of cancer jokes horrible, per se. But if it's not funny, it's not funny. I'm not speaking from the point of view of somebody far removed either. I have a very large family, and cancer has been the source of some of the most horrible and draining experiences in my life.

But, like I said, I haven't bothered to watch Family Guy in years.

Every dead body that is not exterminated becomes one of them. It gets up and kills. The people it kills, get up and kill.
dean

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2011, 07:52:57 AM »

Family Guy has lost its edge.  I guess Mcfarlane has a bit too much on his plate now, what being a multi millionaire now.

I still like the show in principle but its too 'samey' each week for me. 

------------The password will be: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2011, 12:49:59 PM »

I don't 'dislike' Family Guy, I just mainly stick to the reruns of the first 3-4 years.  Then it came back, twice, and now it seems it's popular to like it.

Personally, I don't get offended easily at all, and at times I run my mouth and if offends people.  I don't intentionally do it, I just seem to lack a moral baromotor (sp?).  Family Guy at times seems to just want to provoke criticism so they can say "We're being ostracized for our art and free speech' without lacking the jokes being, you know, FUNNY.

But, while I liked Family Guy initially, I prefer South Park to the umpteenth degree.  It's a vastly well written show, consistently entertaining, sometimes offensive but damn near always has a point and isn't necessarily cruel for the HELL of it.  Check out their "Cartoon Wars" episodes about Family Guy/Simpsons/King of The Hill.

"The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell."

Don’t get too close, it’s dark inside.
It’s where my demons hide, it’s where my demons hide.
Warp Ninja X
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2011, 12:51:41 PM »

That's why I watch The Boondocks it way better and more funny. Thumbup
Ed, Ego and Superego

« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2011, 05:05:02 PM »

I liked the riffing on classic TV cuts but that was about it.  Now I can't be bothered.
-Ed

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?

Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
10,000 Volt Ghost
Ancient Radiation
Bad Movie Lover

Ancient Radiation

« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2011, 05:58:48 PM »

I liked the riffing on classic TV cuts but that was about it.  Now I can't be bothered.
-Ed

Yeah, like seasons 1-3 it used cutbacks or referenced 60's or 70's tv shows as a gag. When it it was renewed it jumped to 80's references every 6 or 7 seconds which are dumb.

Born in '84, raised on more nick at nite.

John Hancock
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Television  |  What's Seth McFarlene's problem? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.