Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 18, 2024, 09:29:11 PM
712916 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Television  |  What's Seth McFarlene's problem? « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Author Topic: What's Seth McFarlene's problem?  (Read 47272 times)
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #30 on: February 24, 2011, 11:38:18 AM »

But, while I liked Family Guy initially, I prefer South Park to the umpteenth degree.  It's a vastly well written show, consistently entertaining, sometimes offensive but damn near always has a point and isn't necessarily cruel for the HELL of it.  Check out their "Cartoon Wars" episodes about Family Guy/Simpsons/King of The Hill.

I think that double episode nailed it completely. The South Park guys are completely fearless. The episodes they make have been some of the most jaw-droppingly offensive things I have ever seen, but the humor there has always been used to prove a surprisingly moralistic point.

I don't always agree with them, but they understand how to use humor to talk about controversial topics. I can't stress enough how "making it funny" changes the situation.

I have a longer post in me about the whole "depiction of Muhammad" they got up to in the same episode, but that's a different story.
Did you see the later episodes just like, last season where Comedy Central went just a little bit further in their censorship?  Wow.  I am an unabashed South Park fan, and politically side more with the Libertarian Party than either Democrats or Republicans.  So maybe for me, I find their political shows a little more entertaining than most.  And I like that they only do the show in one week.  They can touch on current topics as they happen.  They had a whole episode about Terry Schiavo as it was happening.  Not the BEST topic for certain people, but it made sense at the time.

I'm a KING OF THE HILL guy myself.  Thing is, being from East Texas,
I KNOW some of those characters.  Some days I AM one of them!

I'm in the same boat as you. KOTH, believe it or not was funny, but realistic as well and taught you about life. The show could have been a friggin sitcom  Smile
King of the Hill was a vastly underrated show.  I loved it, and feel it was written really, really well.  The last few seasons irritated me, but it wasn't their fault.  They were in a crappy timeslot and I would never get to see it cause it would be pre-empted for NASCAR or NFL, and then they would go straight to The Simpsons.  Shame, really.

"The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell."

Don’t get too close, it’s dark inside.
It’s where my demons hide, it’s where my demons hide.
66Crush
« Reply #31 on: February 24, 2011, 03:51:44 PM »

I liked "King of The Hill" too. I totally know real-life versions of those characters. Fox started giving it the "Married with Children" treatment. As soon as the show was into it's later seasons they stuck it in the preempted by football slot. Not fair because the writting was still consistant. KOTH is far superior to "Family Guy" in the writting, where "Family Guy" is better at the jokes.
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #32 on: February 24, 2011, 11:40:42 PM »

It did get an unfair treatment from Fox.  I am glad though, that Mike Judge is bringing back Beavis and Butt-Head.

Umaril The Unfeathered
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Pelinal na vasha, racuvar! Sa yando tyavoy nagaia!

« Reply #33 on: February 27, 2011, 12:34:08 PM »

I agree 100%. Cancer is a horrible way to die....a very slow and painful death. My wife died of cancer 2 years ago.

It runs on my mother's side of the family.

Starting in 2001, my maternal grandmother passed away from cancer, and it was the first funeral I'd ever attended.  2002: my same grammy's brother (my Uncle Joe) also passes away from cancer.  I won't go thru the entire list, but the last one to pass on in our family was my Aunt Dottie, (my same grandmother's sister) in 2007, making her the 8th one in that time period to pass away from cancer.

One of the casualties in that time frame was my cousin Nancy (breast cancer) whom, ironically enough, lost her 3 year old daughter Melinda to Leukemia back in 1987.

My grandmother's passing is tomorrow, February 28th as a matter of fact.

I'll be a bit low on the emotional end for a few days, but let me extend my condolences to you, RC, and hope that you know you're not alone in your grief.  Bluesad

Tam-Riel na nou Sancremath.
Dawn's Beauty is our shining home.

An varlais, nou bala, an kynd, nou latta.
The stars are our power, the sky is our light.

Malatu na nou karan.
Truth is our armor.

Malatu na bala
Truth is power.

Heca, Pellani! Agabaiyane Ehlnadaya!
Be gone, outsiders! I do not fear your mortal gods!

Auri-El na nou ata, ye A, Umaril, an Aran!
Aure-El is our father, and I, Umaril, the king!
wickednick
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #34 on: February 28, 2011, 08:41:47 AM »

I've never really understood Family Guy popularity, it does have its moments, but it often just uses nonsensical jokes or extremely annoying humor to fill up the plot line. If you look at a Family Guy episode they really only spend about 10 maybe 15min on the actual story and the rest on stupid jokes.
Family Guy tries to come off as edgy with its offensive jokes, but really shows its immaturity and lack of humor more than anything. Its rips on cancer is a bad attempt at this and the writers should really think a little more about what they are joking about.

Smells like popcorn and shame
bob
I survived Bucky Larson

Torgo watches you masterbate!

« Reply #35 on: February 28, 2011, 01:09:35 PM »

You'd think Seth McFarlene would know better then to "go there" so to speak with tasteless "jokes" since he was almost a board one of the planes on 9/11 and that would've have some affect on him. I guess not.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seth_McFarlene#Personal_life

Kubrick, Nolan, Tarantino, Wan, Iñárritu, Scorsese, Chaplin, Abrams, Wes Anderson, Gilliam, Kurosawa - the elite

I believe in the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.
Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #36 on: February 28, 2011, 02:36:35 PM »

You'd think Seth McFarlene would know better then to "go there" so to speak with tasteless "jokes" since he was almost a board one of the planes on 9/11 and that would've have some affect on him. I guess not.

Seth MacFarlane having had a mother who died from cancer, and having narrowly missed a flight that was part of the terrorist attacks on 9/11 make him niether more nor less qualified to joke about either. Perhaps the show serves some cathartic purpose for him personally. Whatever is the case, I stand by what I've said already. Anybody can joke about ANYTHING, and ANYONE can choose not to support it, or to speak out against it as is happening to some extent here. I'm fine with all of the above. It's only when people start talking about restricting freedom that I start to have an issue, and so far I haven't really seen that happen in this thread. So far, so good.

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
bladerunnerblues
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #37 on: March 01, 2011, 03:09:20 AM »

I think "Family Guy" is funny and I get that they push the envelope. But how many more damn cancer jokes are they gonna make? Has Seth lost anyone to cancer, if he did he wouldn't think it was so funny. I'm not stupid, and uneducated for thinking this. The show is very smart and funny and like it 90% of the time. But somebody should punch him in the mouth for the cancer jokes.
Somebody should punch him in the mouth just because they can.
JayJayM12
Regulary relieves himself on hospitality...
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #38 on: March 01, 2011, 10:05:44 AM »

Seth MacFarlane having had a mother who died from cancer, and having narrowly missed a flight that was part of the terrorist attacks on 9/11 make him niether more nor less qualified to joke about either. Perhaps the show serves some cathartic purpose for him personally. Whatever is the case, I stand by what I've said already. Anybody can joke about ANYTHING, and ANYONE can choose not to support it, or to speak out against it as is happening to some extent here. I'm fine with all of the above. It's only when people start talking about restricting freedom that I start to have an issue, and so far I haven't really seen that happen in this thread. So far, so good.

Couldn't agree more!  (well, if you had thrown in that Kate Winslet and Mila Kunis are hot, then I would agree even more, but you know...)

Check out my movie reviews and articles at:  www.cinedump.com<br /><br />Or, don\\\'t check them out - see if I care.  You\\\'re not my real mom anyway.  Unless, you are.  In which case, whatever, I\\\'ll do what I want.  It\\\'s my hot body.  Y\\\'all don\\\'t know me.
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #39 on: March 01, 2011, 10:26:59 AM »

I completely agree.  I mean, I'm not a big fan of the show.  Not cause it offends me, I just don't like it as much.  But he's got every right to write any joke he wants.

JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #40 on: March 01, 2011, 01:43:51 PM »

Seth McFarlane = Butt Munch Giggity Giggity Giggity, Hee hee hee.  Wink

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
66Crush
« Reply #41 on: March 01, 2011, 05:29:57 PM »

I was only speaking figuratively about Seth needing a punch in the mouth. I was in a bad mood when I heard what seemed like the ten thousand five hundredth joke about cancer on a Family Guy rerun.
Killer Bees
Newly Appointed Government Employee and

Never give up on love

« Reply #42 on: March 02, 2011, 05:39:49 AM »

I'm glad that this post is raising a dialogue here, because in today's society, so many people are struggling with what is insensitive, and how far do we go? Growing up in the 80's it's almost laughable now at what was controversial back then. Some religious radicals thought things I loved like "Married with Children" and Heavy Metal music were gonna bring about the fall of civilization. So I always felt like nothing could offend me, and now I find myself disturbed by a joke on a cartoon. But I do feel that people are less sensitive to violence and disease and more PC about things like race and religion. As far as sex, it's hasn't been really taboo for along time. I for one don't find it to be nearly as shocking as it used to be, but I'm a perv anyway lol.

The fall of civilisation will be brought about by reality tv and Paris Hilton.  And not necessarily in that order.    Buggedout

Flower, gleam and glow
Let your power shine
Make the clock reverse
Bring back what once was mine
Heal what has been hurt
Change the fates' design
Save what has been lost
What once was mine.......
Killer Bees
Newly Appointed Government Employee and

Never give up on love

« Reply #43 on: March 02, 2011, 05:46:27 AM »

I agree 100%. Cancer is a horrible way to die....a very slow and painful death. My wife died of cancer 2 years ago.

Starting in 2001, my maternal grandmother passed away from cancer, and it was the first funeral I'd ever attended.  2002: my same grammy's brother (my Uncle Joe) also passes away from cancer.  I won't go thru the entire list, but the last one to pass on in our family was my Aunt Dottie, (my same grandmother's sister) in 2007, making her the 8th one in that time period to pass away from cancer.

One of the casualties in that time frame was my cousin Nancy (breast cancer) whom, ironically enough, lost her 3 year old daughter Melinda to Leukemia back in 1987.

I'll be a bit low on the emotional end for a few days, but let me extend my condolences to you, RC, and hope that you know you're not alone in your grief.  Bluesad

I'm sorry for your family losses, Umaril.  Much love and hugs from me  Smile

Flower, gleam and glow
Let your power shine
Make the clock reverse
Heal what has been hurt
Change the fates' design
Save what has been lost
What once was mine.......
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #44 on: March 02, 2011, 06:18:02 AM »

They say it gets better with time...I don't believe it. I think we just deal with it better.

As far as FAMILY GUY is concerned-I dont think they show should be censored...they have the right to say what they want. I just dont watch it anymore.
(I DID like the episode where Stewie invents a device that enables him and Brian to travel to parallel univerese's...that was quite well done,art wise...)

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Television  |  What's Seth McFarlene's problem? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.