Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 08:51:57 AM
714401 Posts in 53097 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  44 Presidential Facts for President's Day « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Author Topic: 44 Presidential Facts for President's Day  (Read 16455 times)
Raffine
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #30 on: February 24, 2011, 09:57:51 AM »

It was rumored Warren Harding was murdered by his wife.

Gaston Means wrote a book in the early thirties titled The Strange Death of President Harding in which he announced the first lady Florence Harding, know as 'The Duchess', more or less admitted to him she had poisoned Harding on his ill-fated cross country train ride.

The idea was Mrs. Harding killed her husband to stave off the upcoming scandals about to be revealed about his administration and because she caught him schtumping his mistress Nan Britton in the Oval Office closet. Means cast himself in the role of a determined investigator who was gonna blow the lid off the whole sorid mess.

Conveniently Florence Harding had been dead several years when the book was published. Mean's theories have since been proven to be so much hog wash... or have they?!?  Buggedout

As late as the early 80s our local library still had a copy of Means' book and I actually read it! I just checked and Means' astonishing book is still in print and available to order.

The Duchess tries to determine how much arsenic it would take to
knock off a big man like her hubby, President Warren G. Harding

« Last Edit: February 24, 2011, 10:01:38 AM by Raffine » Logged

If you're an Andy Milligan fan there's no hope for you.
BTM

« Reply #31 on: February 24, 2011, 05:29:17 PM »

I want to go back to talking about how badass Roosevelt was!

"Some people mature, some just get older." -Andrew Vachss
Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #32 on: February 24, 2011, 05:45:53 PM »

I'll vote for that. We could make it a "Teddy Roosevelt Facts" thing.

Fact: When Teddy Roosevelt goes swimming, he doesn't get wet, the water gets Teddy Roosevelt.

BounceGiggle BounceGiggle BounceGiggle

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
Raffine

« Reply #33 on: February 24, 2011, 06:06:25 PM »

Bully!

Only 42 when McKinley died, Roosevelt was the youngest man ever to hold the office of president.

Roosevelt was permanently blinded in one eye during a White House boxing match.

While president Roosevelt invented a steam-powered jet pack and often was seen buzzing political opponents and dropping bags of moose crap on their heads.

lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #34 on: February 24, 2011, 06:10:38 PM »

Roosevelt was unfortunately an early supporter of the income tax which was eventiually established under Wilson. nothing baddass about that.
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #35 on: February 24, 2011, 07:32:29 PM »

Oh hush, Lester, we're having fun here! TeddyR

Actually true:  TR was so heartbroken when his first wife died that he erased every trace of her from his life - destroyed all her pictures and letters, and never publicly spoke her name again.  For him to acknowledge grief would have been a weakness.

He also shot a Spaniard in the face at point blank range on San Juan Hill.

TR Quote:  "Never hit someone if you can honorably avoid doing so.  But if you must hit, never hit soft!"

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #36 on: February 24, 2011, 08:30:32 PM »

It was rumored Warren Harding was murdered by his wife...
...to stave off the upcoming scandals about to be revealed about his administration and because she caught him schtumping his mistress Nan Britton in the Oval Office closet. Means cast himself in the role of a determined investigator who was gonna blow the lid off the whole sorid mess.
Conveniently Florence Harding had been dead several years when the book was published. Mean's theories have since been proven to be so much hog wash... or have they?!?  Buggedout
As late as the early 80s our local library still had a copy of Means' book and I actually read it! I just checked and Means' astonishing book is still in print and available to order...
NAN BRITTON supposedly had her baby in the front bedroom, north, of a house in Asbury Park, NJ.  My friend had owned that house for many years and everybody used it to go to the beach in the summer.  Many times I slept in the "birthing room" as my friend called it.   Lookingup Smile  HARDING apparently stirred up a lot of dirt, BRITTON wrote a book too called "The President's Daughter" ...  Buggedout BounceGiggle  

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_President%27s_Daughter_%28book%29
« Last Edit: February 24, 2011, 08:34:20 PM by Allhallowsday » Logged

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
Raffine

« Reply #37 on: February 24, 2011, 08:32:33 PM »

NAN BRITTON supposedly had her baby in the front bedroom, north, of a house in Asbury Park, NJ.  My friend had owned that house for many years and everybody used it to go to the beach in the summer.  Many times I slept in the "birthing room" as my friend called it.   Lookingup Smile  HARDING apparently stirred up a lot of dirt, BRITTON wrote a book too called "The President's Daughter" ...  Buggedout BounceGiggle 

That's about the coolest thing I've ever read!  Thumbup

Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #38 on: February 24, 2011, 08:40:30 PM »

I'm sure my friend still has the copy of "The President's Daughter" that he tracked down.  He also had a large framed article about his house from the Asbury Park Press.  He sold that house nearly 20 years ago; it's on Bond Street. 

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #39 on: February 25, 2011, 12:50:55 PM »

Oh hush, Lester, we're having fun here

the idea of republican praising the father of modern big government is a little shocking. Then again, not really  Cheers
Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #40 on: February 25, 2011, 01:06:04 PM »

the idea of republican praising the father of modern big government is a little shocking. Then again, not really  Cheers

That's one thing we have in common lester: a shared realization of the twin evils of the two-party system. Just two sides of the same damn coin, my friend. Rock on.  Cheers

Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #41 on: February 25, 2011, 01:07:31 PM »

That's one thing we have in common lester: a shared realization of the twin evils of the two-party system. Just two sides of the same damn coin, my friend. Rock on.  Cheers

That having been said, from a purely non-partisan stance, I have to agree that the persona of the man, at the very least, is indeed badass.

Raffine

« Reply #42 on: February 25, 2011, 08:52:24 PM »

Which 20th century President did not live in The White House during much of his term?

Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #43 on: February 25, 2011, 10:19:28 PM »

39.  Jimmy Carter was chased by a "killer rabbit" while out jogging one day.  At least, that's what he told the Secret Service.

Get yer facts straight!  Carter was canoeing when he was attacked by an amphibious "swamp rabbit."  http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/950/what-was-the-deal-with-jimmy-carter-and-the-killer-rabbit

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #44 on: February 25, 2011, 10:21:47 PM »

Which 20th century President did not live in The White House during much of his term?

Well, JFK reportedly slept quite a few nights outside the White House... he took a personal interest in "polling the constituency."  Wink

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  44 Presidential Facts for President's Day « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.