Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 01:31:32 AM
712922 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Your Thoughts on Sucker Punch « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7
Author Topic: Your Thoughts on Sucker Punch  (Read 45678 times)
tommex84
On the 8th day God created G.A.Romero
Bad Movie Lover

They're dead, but they're comin' right for us!

« Reply #60 on: May 18, 2012, 09:32:16 PM »

After seeing it, only one thing came to my mind. What the hell did I just see?  Question

I don't know what the hell was the writer thinking or what was he "on" when he came up with this movie. The story is all twisted and makes no sense and would probably be better off if it stayed with only one alternate reality, but nooo, the writer just had to go one step further (the wrong way) and create another alternate reality within the existing alternate reality, which is just stupid and senseless.

Why do I say the story is twisted? Because the writer did nothing more than just mixed together different popular plots (abusive step-family, mental institution, shaolin temple, martial arts, WWII trenches, zombies, ...) from mixed genres, added some nearly bare-breasted, violent adolescent girls with guns and martial arts skills and wrapped it all up in Japanese anime fighting cartoon like scenery.  Buggedout

You really make it sound like something I should find time to see.

Give it a try maybe you'll like it. I didn't.

" We're going to get you. We're going to get you. Not another peep. Time to go to sleep."

"Do that again and I'm gonna open up a can of whoop-ass on you!"
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #61 on: May 19, 2012, 05:57:33 AM »

OK. I put my money where ny mouth was.
I watched it.
It was an overblown cgi fx flick.

I can see how a 12 year old teenager might like it-but my 17 year old son thought it was stupid.

He was right.

« Last Edit: May 19, 2012, 03:42:18 PM by RCMerchant » Logged

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #62 on: May 19, 2012, 08:30:53 AM »

You guys just don't get zombie triplane existentialism . . . . TeddyR

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #63 on: May 19, 2012, 03:52:29 PM »

I'm afraid the film BATTLESHIP is gonna be more of the same-I idin't like 2012, ( one of the worst films Ive ever seen)I dont like SUCKER PUNCH,I dont like fx cgi based movies.
I need a story. If I dont have a story-I need Bela lugosi ,Tor Johnson,or a BAD movie that is very low budget. If your going to spend millions of dollars to make s**t,dont expect me to watch it..

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Psycho Circus
B-Movie Kraken

Shake The Faith

« Reply #64 on: May 20, 2012, 06:32:08 PM »

I'm afraid the film BATTLESHIP is gonna be more of the same-I idin't like 2012, ( one of the worst films Ive ever seen)I dont like SUCKER PUNCH,I dont like fx cgi based movies.
I need a story. If I dont have a story-I need Bela lugosi ,Tor Johnson,or a BAD movie that is very low budget. If your going to spend millions of dollars to make s**t,dont expect me to watch it..

Thumbup Thumbup Thumbup

indianasmith
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #65 on: May 20, 2012, 07:46:21 PM »

Sigh . . . . Bluesad

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
indianasmith
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #66 on: July 25, 2012, 07:21:59 PM »

I just thought I would mention that I just watched the entire movie for the fourth time . . . this is the greatest film in the history of cinema.  I am changing my religion from Christian (Baptist) to Christian (Punchologist)! TeddyR

Pilgermann
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #67 on: July 31, 2012, 01:34:16 PM »

I thought it was incredibly boring and the story is empty and pointless and resorts to ripping off Brazil.  Soundtrack was pretty obnoxious, too.  I always like getting to look at Carla Gugino, and I decided that I really like to watch Jenna Malone shoot guns, and there were plenty of other attractive women in the film but that's about all I can say for it.

Jaer
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #68 on: July 31, 2012, 01:45:52 PM »

I just watched this the other night, and it is kind of blowing my mind. I've been searching around online, looking to see what other people thought, and the most resounding opinion was either it was stupid dribble or that the action scenes and eye candy make it worth it.

But to me, it's so much deeper than I expected! Yes, I am being serious.

Despite the main set-up of the movie, Sweet Pea is the main protagonist, not Baby Doll.

She tells us this in the scene in the beginning where they are acting out the lobotomy scene on stage. Sweet Pea even says something to the effect of, "Isn't this supposed to be sexy? How can you think this is sexy? It's sick!" She's pretty much talking directly to the viewer.

She says something like "This is my story." And then she walks away from the scene--a show of her own escape.

And interestingly, she calls out the "school girl" outfit as being a sex symbol, one she gets--but no one has worn one yet because Baby only just entered the fantasy world. She had not appeared in her school girl outfit.

Sweet Pea is also the narrator. She tells us in the beginning that we have angels that show us we are strong enough to fight; these angels can take the form of anyone, an old man one day (Wiseman/bus driver), young girl (Baby) the next. Baby was the angel showing Sweet Pea she was strong enough to fight. It was Sweet Pea's victory to escape. Sweet Pea is the one hesitant to escape, the one trying to reign in the plan--she needs her angel to give her the strength to do it. The Wiseman says to her "Sweet Pea, I'm glad you changed your mind." Yeah, because the entire escape is for her.

Baby is fantasizing at the end about Sweet Pea's escape and bus ride (or it looks like she is--the sky and scenery do have a fantasy element), but we know Sweet Pea escaped because the doctor in the world of the asylum tells us that there was a fire, a stabbing, and an escape. There is no mention of the escaped girl being recaptured.

There is also no mention of anyone dying. In the world of the asylum, there is no mention of Rocket, Amber, or Blondie's death. I don't think they died in "real life"--the asylum. They died in the fantasy world of the Club because they weren't strong enough to escape--perhaps they had real mental issues that kept them inside. Baby says to her just before she gets out: "Sweet Pea, you're the strongest. You're the only one of us who ever had a chance out there."

Basically, Sweet Pea is the only sane one of the five, the one who doesn't belong there. She is in there because she followed her sister in to keep her safe.

Baby gets lobotomized, but is OK with it because she helped Sweet Pea escape and it will be a lasting fantasy world for her, the fantasy of Sweet Pea's life outside, then having to maintain her fantasy of the harsh life of the club.

Yeah, this movie struck a cord and has been reverberating in my head for a few days. I'm sure most people wouldn't give it a second thought, but man, I was expecting a shallow piece of eye-candy action and got sucker punched.

Jaer
indianasmith
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #69 on: July 31, 2012, 01:59:34 PM »

Well said! This movie is much more existential than most of these Philistines realize!!!!!

major jay

« Reply #70 on: July 31, 2012, 02:37:38 PM »

I just thought I would mention that I just watched the entire movie for the fourth time . . . this is the greatest film in the history of cinema.  I am changing my religion from Christian (Baptist) to Christian (Punchologist)! TeddyR

That sounds like the true definition of a cult movie.
You really have my interest up for this. I'll try to watch with an open mind.

Psycho Circus
B-Movie Kraken

Shake The Faith

« Reply #71 on: July 31, 2012, 08:23:44 PM »

I'll try to watch with an open mind.

Yeah, like Ray Liotta in Hannibal!

indianasmith
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #72 on: November 20, 2012, 07:43:30 PM »

I finally got to see the alternate ending of this movie, and WOW!!  The closing scene with the high roller made me cry.  It made the theatrical ending much easier to understand.  When I graduate to BLURAY I am going to have to get the Director's Cut of this movie . . . and sleep with it under my pillow when I am not watching it!!!

claws
« Reply #73 on: November 21, 2012, 07:48:21 AM »

Thanks to Indy I finally put the Sucker Punch Blu-ray on my price tracker. Surprisingly enough there have been six (!) Sucker Punch Blu-ray releases in Germany so far.

08/05/11:

12/02/11:

09/07/12:

11/30/12:

I'm tracking the last one ...
Jim H

« Reply #74 on: November 29, 2012, 08:42:52 PM »

The DVD seems to be the Theatrical Release. The Blu-Ray package includes the extended cut in both Blu-Ray and DVD plus a digital version. What the hell? Someone is either going to buy the blu-ray or the dvd. Who the hell is going to buy both? It makes no sense. I'm not spending $25 to buy three discs if I'm only going to watch one.

They do this largely because many people have multiple DVD players but only a single Blu-Ray player.  That's how our household has it - the Blu-Ray player is on the main living room TV, but if I ever want to watch a Blu-Ray in the basement or in any of the three bedrooms, I'm SOL.  It's actually a nice option for those in similar situations, not to mention if you ever need to watch it on the go anywhere.

I thought I'd post here and say I saw about 15 minutes of Sucker Punch and I thought it bordered on unwatchable.  Terrible action scenes with no weight, incredibly generic visuals, super false feeling (I know it's not real, but the extremeness of the fakiness of everything I just found pulling me out of the picture - it was like watching a pre-vis SFX sequence, or worse yet watching Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow).  I might give it a go again at some point, but wow.  The film also came across as exploitive in a bad way, though I'll reserve total judgement on that score as I didn't see that much of the film.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Your Thoughts on Sucker Punch « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.