Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 06:30:46 AM
712927 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Press Releases and Film News  |  And the Academy Award Winners Are... « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: And the Academy Award Winners Are...  (Read 7992 times)
InformationGeek
Leader of the Friends' for Info
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Let's all be Friends.

« on: February 27, 2011, 11:42:51 PM »

Bull**t.  The winner of the Best Director, Best Score, Best Actor, Best Original Screenplay, and Best Picture did not deserve it in comparison to far superior films. (You may notice what I'm getting at here)  What the hell?

On the plus side, hooray for Natalie Portman!  You earned it.  Anyways, I must now look at past comments and see who I owe for karma points.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/83rd_Academy_Awards

We live in quite an interesting age. You can tell someone's sexual orientation and level of education from just their interests.
El Misfit
[Insert witty here]
B-Movie Kraken

Hi there!

« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2011, 11:57:58 PM »

those f**king a***oles that snubbed Christopher Nolan- He woulda won if he wasn't snubbed! GODDAMN THEM!!! Hatred
The King's Speech was WAAAAAY to overhyped and was nominated for WAAAAY too many things- 12 friggen nominations? B.U.L.L.S.*.*.T.!!!! Hatred Hatred Hatred
« Last Edit: February 28, 2011, 12:08:19 AM by Chris M. » Logged

yeah no.
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2011, 10:35:41 AM »

Such is the nature of the Academy Awards. I don't usually pay that much attention to anything other than the technical awards. The big categories are always full of politics and bias toward certain types of films. Looking at the technical side, I find it becomes a little less subjective and the awards mean more, but only because they carry less prestige.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Doggett
Bustin' makes me feel good !

I've seen things you people couldn't imagine...

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2011, 10:57:29 AM »

*ahem*

Well, some of us rather liked The Kings Speech over Inception.

If God exists, why did he make me an atheist? Thats His first mistake.
Silverlady
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2011, 10:59:35 AM »

*ahem*

me too   Smile

Hold onto your dreams ....
InformationGeek
Leader of the Friends' for Info
B-Movie Site Webmaster

Let's all be Friends.

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2011, 12:10:21 PM »

*ahem*

My problem with it winning was a couple of reasons.  Of all the films nominated, it was biggest Oscar Bait film in my eyes then the rest.  It seems like the safest choice of all the films for the Oscar voters to pick.  After all, who would wanted a sci-fi film, a western, a movie about toys, a film about the early history of one of the biggest phoenmas to affect most everyone, a psychological film, a movie about a person trying to survive being trapped, a film about lesbians, and two others that I don't know much about.  Nope, we got to go for a film that feels like you've seen it all before (friendship, overcoming a personal issue).  Now the film perfectly fine, but really?  In a year of such interesting films, we must go for the blandest one?

Finally, without even saying anything, Oscars made much made it clear they loved the film the most.  Why else would they one of the speeches from the film to play over the clips of the rest of the films before they reveal the winner?  It's like the year where the Academy dressed the whole place up in honor of the movie Titanic.  Come on!

On the plus side, it didn't win a single techincal award at all.

We live in quite an interesting age. You can tell someone's sexual orientation and level of education from just their interests.
Doggett

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2011, 12:24:06 PM »

I think Chris Nolan should've got best Director, but other than that, I did enjoy the feel good film.
I agree with the academy.

Pilgermann

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2011, 02:06:28 PM »

I haven't seen The King's Speech, but all of the clips that were shown really made me wish I had.  Looked like it had some great acting, nice visuals and whatnot.

The Oscar ceremony itself seemed awfully clumsy (it often is).  I like James Franco and I think 127 Hours deserves all kinds of credit, but he was a poor choice as a host.  He just seemed really uncomfortable.  Anne Hathaway, someone I don't really pay any mind, fared much better and came across as funny and charming.  I was bothered by the choice of clips used, too.  They showed some pivitol moments from True Grit for one thing (including the last shot!), and I have a feeling that the silly montage of Best Picture nominees freaturing that speech from The King's Speech was an important part of that film.

Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2011, 08:00:54 PM »

You boys need to calm down.  Sh!t, it's only the academy awards...  Lookingup  Who cares? 

I will say THE KING'S SPEECH was a great film, great because of COLIN FIRTH's monumental performance.  Yes, not a light-show, and with no special effects, it should not have been expected to be a crowd-pleaser, but it is pleasing.   Thumbup Smile

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2011, 08:08:13 PM »

Sadly, I have only seen two of the nominees - TOY STORY 3 and WINTER'S BONE.

TS3 was amazing, but I doubt any animated film will ever win best picture.
WINTER'S BONE is amazingly well-acted, but it is SO bleak and depressing I doubt
it could ever win.  I was amazed it was nominated for Best Picture.  Best Actress, maybe.  But Best Picture?

I look forward to seeing THE KING'S SPEECH, however.  It looks intriguing, and as a British history buff I am interested in the premise.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Doggett

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2011, 08:12:13 PM »

WINTER'S BONE is amazingly well-acted, but it is SO bleak and depressing I doubt
it could ever win. 

Still on my to watch list.
I think The Rev gave it a good review and I'm sure it is well made but it does seem so bleak that I'm not sure that I'd enjoy it.

Kinda like 'Boys Don't Cry', well made but not something I could watch again.

ChaosTheory

« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2011, 08:47:56 PM »

And Roger Deakins gets hosed AGAIN!  I admire Pfister's work in general and INCEPTION did look beautiful, but dammit, it's ROGER DEAKINS!
(Sorry, cinemetography is kind of my pet category.)

Other than that, no strong feelings about this; pretty predictable winners all around - although I thought Fincher was kind of the favorite for best director.  I've only seen TRUE GRIT, WINTER'S BONE, SOCIAL NETWORK & INCEPTION so far and INCEPTION was by far my favorite, but the Academy treats sci-fi with even less respect than it treats animation.  I really want to see KING'S SPEECH though; it looks good even if it is Oscar-bait.  Cheers 

Through the darkness of future past
The magician longs to see
One chance opts between two worlds
Fire walk with me
Fausto
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2011, 10:07:12 PM »

Predictable results, though you have to admit, the special effects for the show were pretty good, especially the rotting anamatronic mummy they had walking around the stage at the beginning...oh wait, that was Kirk Douglas, my bad.

"When I die, I hope you will use my body creatively." - Shin Chan

"Tonight, we will honor the greatest writers in America with a modest 9 by 12 certificate and a check for three thousand dollars...three thousand dollars? Stephen King makes more than that for writing boo on a cocktail napkin." - Jimmy Breslin
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2011, 11:09:50 PM »

Predictable results, though you have to admit, the special effects for the show were pretty good, especially the rotting anamatronic mummy they had walking around the stage at the beginning...oh wait, that was Kirk Douglas, my bad.
Yeh.  Real bad. 

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
dean

« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2011, 01:08:27 AM »

Deakins is the best cinematographer working that hasn't won an Oscar.  The fact that he lost it to Inception is frustrating, though not surprising.  I didn't know you could win a Cinematography award for having good CGI...  Bluesad

In any case it was a fairly predictable Oscar ceremony.  I don't know why people keep thinking Inception would win things other than effects awards.  Sure the technical side of it was brilliant but it wasn't a good enough film to win best picture, director or original screenplay; its too much of a traditional blockbuster action flick to get up.

If anything the only minor surprise for me was Hooper winning for King's Speech: I expected Fincher to win for Social Network, or at least I thought he deserved it more.  That being said I put ten dollars on Hooper to win so that was good!  Thumbup

Overall I thought it was fairly on the money this year.  The only main issue I had was that girl from True Grit getting a supporting actress nomination instead of a lead actress nomination, since she's in every scene in the movie!  I wanted Rush to win his category, but thats just because I really liked his job, and he's a super nice guy, whereas Bale's a bit of a twat.

King's Speech is a great film, one I highly reccomend, and one I applaud for winning.  Considering it was produced by Rush [and others] I'm not surprised that it did well: good actors producing made it an 'actors' film which tend to do well come award season.  That and Firth was an absolute shoe in for best Actor. 

Overall it was a fairly strong list this year, with Black Swan, Social Network also in the running contenders [the others were good, but not in contention in my mind].

------------The password will be: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Press Releases and Film News  |  And the Academy Award Winners Are... « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.