Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 12:21:08 AM
712922 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Press Releases and Film News  |  Universal topples del Toro's Mountains of Madness. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Universal topples del Toro's Mountains of Madness.  (Read 7025 times)
trekgeezer
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

We're all just victims of circumstance

« on: March 08, 2011, 08:27:17 AM »

This is a shame,

http://www.darkhorizons.com/news/19770/madness-collapses-del-toro-s-mountains-

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
Doc Daneeka
The Game is Finished?

It's neVer over!

« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2011, 11:31:59 AM »

This is the kind of s**t boycotts are made of; I'd start one, and show a petition to every horror fan I know of if the genre fanbase weren't made so largely up of such sarcastic and jaded people. F**K Universal, and doubly F**K all this even-more-so-than-usual "demographically-minded" bull that infects all studios now. Honestly, this gets me so ticked, I'd pass up on Strangers 2 if Universal funded it, and I thought the first film was one of the best American horrors to come out in years.

https://www.youtube.com/user/silverspherechannel
For the latest on the fifth installment in Don Coscarelli's Phantasm saga.
InformationGeek
Leader of the Friends' for Info
B-Movie Site Webmaster

Let's all be Friends.

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2011, 11:48:06 AM »

Dang, you beat me to the punch!  I was about to post the same article, but from a different source.

According to the article I saw, Universal wouldn't give them the money because they wouldn't drop the film down to a PG-13 rating.  What a load of crap.  You had a great director lined up and two big names that bring in the cash in almost all of their films (James Cameron's Avatar & Titanic are the higgest grossing films of all time and Tom Cruise still manages to draw tons of people in.   His last film did bring in $262 million).  Why not jump at this?!

It reminds of how BioShock got screwed over because the company would only allow a PG-13 film.

We live in quite an interesting age. You can tell someone's sexual orientation and level of education from just their interests.
feiyen
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2011, 06:00:35 PM »

Really? PG-13? Guess it all comes down to the same thing over and over, money! If they can get the whole family to see it that's more money for them. Although I can't say I was enthusiastic about the 3D part. Still I would have watched this (non 3D), thanks Universal for making me lose all hope in you guys.

Me and my partners comics
http://www.eyeshock.com
akiratubo

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2011, 06:15:17 PM »

Tom Cruise was supposed to play the lead?  No big loss, then.

Kneel before Dr. Hell, the ruler of this world!
Doc Daneeka
The Game is Finished?

It's neVer over!

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2011, 12:59:20 AM »

Tom Cruise was supposed to play the lead?  No big loss, then.
Guillermo Del Toro was supposed to direct, it was supposed to be a fiercely non-"Hollywood" (though not superficially "anti-Hollywood") picture, and people gush over Heath Ledger playing the Joker and Jean-Claude Van Damme playing a good himself in "JCVD," so getting Cruise into a Lovecraft character wouldn't be absolutely unheard of. Quite possibly a big loss.

https://www.youtube.com/user/silverspherechannel
For the latest on the fifth installment in Don Coscarelli's Phantasm saga.
dean

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2011, 01:21:25 AM »

ARrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrghhhhhh!!!!

Del Toro must be thinking what does he have to do to get a movie made these days.  First The Hobbit, now this!    hot

------------The password will be: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2011, 07:31:55 AM »

Too bad, it sounds kind of interesting.  Not making a movie simply because it would have to be aimed at adults and not families...sad.  Shows that all those old notions of movies being a mix of art and business have been done away with - it's all business now. 

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
InformationGeek
Leader of the Friends' for Info
B-Movie Site Webmaster

Let's all be Friends.

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2011, 08:36:34 AM »

ARrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrghhhhhh!!!!

Del Toro must be thinking what does he have to do to get a movie made these days.  First The Hobbit, now this!    hot

Don't worry!  We still got Don't Be Afraid of the Dark coming this summer.  He'll get a movie of his in theaters soon!  Sure, he isn't directing, but he wrote and produced it!  Plus it'll be R, so we are still getting a rated R horror film soon enough from him.

We live in quite an interesting age. You can tell someone's sexual orientation and level of education from just their interests.
akiratubo

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2011, 12:41:09 PM »

Guillermo Del Toro was supposed to direct, it was supposed to be a fiercely non-"Hollywood" (though not superficially "anti-Hollywood") picture, and people gush over Heath Ledger playing the Joker and Jean-Claude Van Damme playing a good himself in "JCVD," so getting Cruise into a Lovecraft character wouldn't be absolutely unheard of. Quite possibly a big loss.

Eh, I'm not a big Del Toro fan.  IMHO, his movies are just kind of "ok".  Pan's Labyrinth is probably his best, and I actually liked the "real" parts of that movie much more than the fantastic parts.  I honestly wasn't all that excited about him making "In the Mountains of Madness".

Kneel before Dr. Hell, the ruler of this world!
Barack Clinton
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2011, 02:48:34 AM »

Speaking as someone who has actually READ Lovecraft and was appalled at the terrible adaptations of his work so far I'd have to say this is perhaps good news.
wickednick
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2011, 08:04:42 AM »

The studios get so caught up with trying please every demographic that they forget that people sometimes want to see something truly different. Think about if Alien,Jaws, The Exorcist or Poltergeist would be made now days. The studios would be like "what, no love story? We need to apeal to that female demographic" or "we need to slip in a real world message to make this movie more poinent to the times we live in."

Seriously, f**k Universal.

Smells like popcorn and shame
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2011, 10:35:56 AM »

The studios get so caught up with trying please every demographic that they forget that people sometimes want to see something truly different. Think about if Alien,Jaws, The Exorcist or Poltergeist would be made now days. The studios would be like "what, no love story? We need to apeal to that female demographic" or "we need to slip in a real world message to make this movie more poinent to the times we live in."

Very true. The film industry was built on a lot of successful movies that would never get made today. I get really annoyed when studios brag on their track record and pay a lot of lip service to past movies they'd undoubtedly micromanage and focus-group to death if they didn't reject them outright. Sorry, the studio that backed those movies was not the same studio, even if it did have the same name. No studio exec has any right to brag about past success, as if there's some kind of tradition that's alive and well today.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Couchtr26

« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2011, 10:49:51 PM »

Eh, I'm not a big Del Toro fan.  IMHO, his movies are just kind of "ok".  Pan's Labyrinth is probably his best, and I actually liked the "real" parts of that movie much more than the fantastic parts.  I honestly wasn't all that excited about him making "In the Mountains of Madness".

I actually prefer it in reality with the fantasy as escapism from the horrors surrounding the character.  He seems to work best in tragedy.

Ah, the good old days.
dean

« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2011, 02:16:04 AM »

Very true. The film industry was built on a lot of successful movies that would never get made today. I get really annoyed when studios brag on their track record and pay a lot of lip service to past movies they'd undoubtedly micromanage and focus-group to death if they didn't reject them outright. Sorry, the studio that backed those movies was not the same studio, even if it did have the same name. No studio exec has any right to brag about past success, as if there's some kind of tradition that's alive and well today.

Kind of like how certain sports are so dominated by the science of it, rather than just get out there and do you thing.  Analyse every statistic, give them all sorts of oxygen boosters or 'legal enhancers' and study the sport to death.  Half the time it seems like the people they're managing are wrapped in cotton wool: ooh I busted my fingernail, better have the week off to 'recover'.   Bluesad

------------The password will be: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Press Releases and Film News  |  Universal topples del Toro's Mountains of Madness. « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.