Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 07:36:12 PM
714386 Posts in 53096 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  GOD GREW TIRED OF US (2006) « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: GOD GREW TIRED OF US (2006)  (Read 2992 times)
ulthar
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« on: March 08, 2011, 05:40:30 PM »

This documentary chronicles the history of the Sudanese refugees known as The Lost Boys.  In the 1990's, the Muslim government of the Sudan sent out a decree that all male children should be killed; in the ensuing violence, entire villages were destroyed, families murdered, women and girls raped, and a few "lucky" young men escaped.

In a "trail of tears" like flight, the boys from neighboring villages congregated along a path and headed toward Ethiopia, where they lived for a few years.  Food was scarce (some only eating every other week), and eventually they had to flee again.  This time, they headed to Kenya, where they formed the well-known Kakuma Refugee Camp.

After about 12 years in that camp, some of the original refugees were given the opportunity to move to the United States and seek education, work and a new life.

GOD GREW TIRED OF US outlines the history of the camp, but focuses more on The Lost Boys (grown men by the time they reached the US) integration into American culture.  Of particular interest to me were the reactions and education on such "basics" of first world civilization as supermarkets, electricity and flush toilets.  Imagine, for a moment, living over 15 years in a refugee camp with scarce food, then finding yourself in an American supermarket with abundant food, almost for the taking.  Witnessing their culture shock was humorous on the surface, but deeper...enlightening.

If in the mood for more serious documentary fare, with some lightness thrown in (these are, in the end, mostly happy stories after all), this one is well worth a look.  It's hard for me to rank documentaries like 'fictional' movies, but let's just call it 5/5 for information and humanity with points for breaking up the seriousness with some lighter moments.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2011, 05:48:45 PM »

sounds good
dean

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2011, 01:30:28 AM »

Dave Eggers wrote a great book on this topic, essentially writing a biography in 'story form' about one particular Lost Boy.  It was a fascinating story, even more so because it was true, or at the least blends minor fictions with the non-fiction elements.  Fascinating read.

------------The password will be: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
ulthar

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2011, 08:23:00 AM »

Thanks, Dean.  My reading list at the moment is pretty long, but I'll definitely add that one to it.  I wonder if that book is about one of the ones in the movie.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--Real Genius
Hammock Rider

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2011, 09:17:26 AM »

Thanks. There's always room for a good docu.

Jumping Kings and Making Haste Ain't my Cup of Meat
movie masochist
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2011, 04:53:30 PM »

Dave Eggers wrote a great book on this topic, essentially writing a biography in 'story form' about one particular Lost Boy.  It was a fascinating story, even more so because it was true, or at the least blends minor fictions with the non-fiction elements.  Fascinating read.

Dave Eggers' book is called What is the What and it is phenomenal.  I took away several things from it, the most important being that the human spirit is amazingly resilient.  That these boys could have gone through the incredibly cross country journey and then years in a squalid refugee camp, then made it to the US, is just incredible.  Not that all of them are ok.  I won't spoil the book any further but it is worth bumping up your reading list. 

Another thing that I find interesting is that the US relief organizations and others always try to make the southern Sudan crisis about either race or religion.  The narrator of Eggers' book says that is a gross oversimplification and a mischaracterization of complicated intercultural clashes in his country.   Just food for thought.  I will definitely check out this film.

www.thebestbadmovies.com   Only the best of the worst
Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2011, 01:16:55 PM »

I'll have to check this one out. Do they provide any detail on why such a decree would be made? I'm trying to wrap my head around why a government would actually decree to kill all male children. In other words, what justification was used, however evil or twisted?

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2011, 01:19:47 PM »

Nevermind. Just your standard ethnic cleansing, nothing more.

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2011, 07:57:20 PM »

I found the same clarification.   Stupid crap.

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
ulthar

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2011, 06:12:45 PM »

I know you didn't mean it like this, but I hope we never get to the point that any genocide is considered "standard, nothing more."

--Real Genius
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2011, 07:16:48 PM »

I know you didn't mean it like this, but I hope we never get to the point that any genocide is considered "standard, nothing more."
You are so right.  I do think Flick James was making an ironic statement about how STUPID CRAP like "ethnic cleansing" is sadly all too common.   Bluesad

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  GOD GREW TIRED OF US (2006) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.