Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 12:22:39 PM
714446 Posts in 53097 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Places You'd Bring Visiting Board Members In Your Area « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Author Topic: Places You'd Bring Visiting Board Members In Your Area  (Read 17137 times)
claws
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2011, 09:01:25 AM »

Nothing exciting to show where I live, unless you are interested in fish farming (carp). There are about seventy carp lakes in a 18 miles radius. Various sizes but they all look the same.
Other than that we have a small tower museum filled with local history stuff, and our town is somewhat famous because two storks breed every year on the old fire department's roof.
We also have lots and lots of fields, meadows, forests and a hill called Swede redoubt - that's where brave locals tried to fend off attacking Swedes in 1633, but the Swedes pretty much destroyed the town.
There is an old castle about 3 miles out of town. Milla Jovovich, Orlando Bloom and Christoph Waltz resided there last year September/October while filming The Three Musketeers.

That's about it.
Newt
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I want to be Ripley when I grow up.

« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2011, 09:19:28 AM »

We have rattlesnakes. So there.  TongueOut

Anyone visiting me from here should expect to make an obligatory trip (all of a mile and a half) to get their picture taken by the World's largest catfish statue:  

Then, depending on the time of year, we could attend the Toronto After Dark Film Festival  
http://www.torontoafterdark.com/2010/

We could go play "Children of the Corn" at http://www.richardsonsfarm.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=6&Itemid=6  - and pick up supplies for dinner on our way out.

For those who are interested in 'natural wonders' that do not require structured undergarments...and even those who do Lookingup...we are near the Niagara Escarpment and we could trek on in to Niagara Falls, Canada (all of 45 minutes away).   There is a movie wax musem, a Ripley's, a haunted house, and all sorts of kitschy goodness!
http://www.ripleysniagara.com/
http://www.cliftonhill.com/attractions/movieland-wax-museum-stars
http://www.screamersniagara.com/

For the war and history buffs: there are many heritage sites, the Underground Railroad Tour and

http://www.dunnvilleairport.com/museum.php
http://www.warplane.com/
and
http://www.battlefieldhouse.ca/reenactment.asp

We have winery tours and events: lots of vinyards locally.

We are close enough to Toronto that access to the museums and sights there is easy.  Museums, the CN Tower, major sports events, the Ontario Science Centre, theatres, concerts  - all the trappings of a major city.

Lots of local outings for nature lovers, as well: many beaches, conservation areas and zoos.

I'd take Trevor to a zoo so he could see a moose.  Buggedout
I'd take The Darksider to the Canadian National Exhibition - our biggest fair - the tawdry old lady might be right up his alley.
I'd have a BBQ/get-together for ulthar with other horse show parents so we could share 'war stories'  Wink
I'd take RC to Niagara Falls just so I could listen to him talk about older movies   TeddyR
I'd take Andrew, The Rev and AHD to the TAD film festival and perhaps tour some wineries - maybe not together...
I'd take Jack on a trail ride through the Dundas Valley Conservation area.
I'd turn Circus and Doggett loose in the city with some of my younger friends...starting on Queen Street West (Is that still 'cool'?) - and pick them up whenever (no way would I even pretend I could keep up with them!)

I'm sure I will think of other 'personalised' outings...that's what I have for now.

« Last Edit: April 23, 2011, 09:25:49 AM by Newt » Logged

"May I offer you a Peek Frean?" - Walter Bishop
"Thank you for appreciating my descent into deviant behavior, Mr. Reese." - Harold Finch
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2011, 09:32:15 AM »

I'd take Andrew, The Rev and AHD to the TAD film festival and perhaps tour some wineries - maybe not together...

Then maybe we could stop at the winery afterwards?   TeddyR   Cheers

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2011, 09:50:42 AM »

Not much here in the way of entertainment, but we have plenty of natural attractions - lakes, scenic lookouts, trails, wildlife. Maybe go for a swim or a boat ride on the lake, do some fishing, take a hike through the woods to see some of the nicer views, and visit the dump to watch the bears. And if you want your picture taken next to something big, there is a giant Muskoka chair about ten minutes away.

Depending on the length of the visit, there are a few other attractions to be found an hour or two away. Santa's Village, for example, where you can have Christmas-themed fun all summer long. Or the wildlife centre, not far from there, where you can see wolves, bears, cougars, moose, eagles, etc.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Newt
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.

I want to be Ripley when I grow up.

« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2011, 11:21:47 AM »

Then maybe we could stop at the winery afterwards?   TeddyR   Cheers

Jack, I know of trails that go to the wineries!   Wink

"May I offer you a Peek Frean?" - Walter Bishop
"Thank you for appreciating my descent into deviant behavior, Mr. Reese." - Harold Finch
Raffine

« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2011, 11:42:26 AM »

Anyone visiting me from here should expect to make an obligatory trip (all of a mile and a half) to get their picture taken by the World's largest catfish statue:  

We have a giant Great Dane that has the added attraction of being anatomically correct. One reviewer states the obvious: the dog is a male.

« Last Edit: April 23, 2011, 11:47:46 AM by Raffine » Logged

If you're an Andy Milligan fan there's no hope for you.
claws
« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2011, 11:52:22 AM »

We have a giant Great Dane that has the added attraction of being anatomically correct. One reviewer states the obvious: the dog is a male.

We have a carp made of stone. It's not gigantic but, oh well ...

Raffine

« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2011, 12:00:20 PM »

We have a carp made of stone. It's not gigantic but, oh well ...

Well, it's made of stone, which is impressive. Most our giant animals are made of fiberglass and spit.

AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2011, 12:32:35 PM »

The giant catfish is even more impressive than I'd imagined. Now I really do need to make a side trip to Dunnville next time I'm in Caledonia.

I'm still of the opinion that my town needs some giant attraction people will get off the highway to photograph. Maybe a giant sunflower, although now I can't think about such things without imagining a "big, dirty hoe on the corner;" thank you very much, Corner Gas. TeddyR

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Raffine

« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2011, 12:53:04 PM »

When I lived in Nashville I used to drive past this godawful statue every day. It's supposed to be of Nathan Bedford Forrest. It's huge and ugly, and welcomes visitors approaching The Music City from the south on I 65.

LilCerberus
A Very Bad Person, overweight bald guy with a missing tooth, and

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2011, 01:14:40 PM »

Luray Caverns, Natural Bridge?
Herring Creek?

"Science Fiction & Nostalgia have become the same thing!" - T Bone Burnett
The world runs off money, even for those with a warped sense of what the world is.
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2011, 01:44:15 PM »

We've still got these hideous things all over town:

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
LilCerberus
A Very Bad Person, overweight bald guy with a missing tooth, and

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2011, 01:48:49 PM »

Cruise down Monument Ave & point out all the monuments...

"Science Fiction & Nostalgia have become the same thing!" - T Bone Burnett
The world runs off money, even for those with a warped sense of what the world is.
Psycho Circus
B-Movie Kraken

Shake The Faith

« Reply #28 on: April 23, 2011, 01:49:28 PM »

I my hometown they have "public" public toilets!  Buggedout

indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #29 on: April 23, 2011, 03:13:54 PM »

I'd take my guest artifact and fossil hunting with me - that's kinda required on a visit with Indy.  Then we'd motor on over to Dallas and check out Dealey Plaza and the Sixth Floor Museum.  Virtually unchanged since 1963.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Places You'd Bring Visiting Board Members In Your Area « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.